Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Daniel Lieske

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2008
Excellent sketches, the very first made me chuckle The modellings looking really good too. Good luck with this!

04 April 2008
Work In Progress: Sculpting WIP

Finally, I have finished the retopo of the Hawkbeast. Man, these are about 4500 Polys and they are all drawn by hand. I spend nearly 13 hours on this task. I do hope, that the other characters can be refined without massive retopo. Right at the moment I ask myself if it was worth all the work. I guess, I will find out about that when I'm sculpting the details in the next step.

04 April 2008
hey Daniel!
Sehr schönes modelling soweit! Auch die Skizzen gefallen mir sehr gut!
Ich find, das alien könnte noch ne ganze Ecke 'crazier' sein, also designmäßig -vielleicht ein paar interessant definierte Körperformen, Zacken und Co.
Oder die gewöhnliche 3-Zehen Fussform etwas abändern...

04 April 2008
Really like the color sketch, and the work so far... I hope to follow your progress.

04 April 2008
Hey Daniel...Nice Work so far...

I agree with Hideyoshi. The Shape of the Beast could be more freaky. It reads a bit ordinary at the moment. I know that detailing is the next Task, but this won't change the main Shape.
Maybe you put on some Stuff like Feathers and Hornplates the makes the shape more interesting.
At the Moment i cannot say if the Beast ist evil or good. It's kind of neutral for me.

Looking forward for updates...

Cheerz...

04 April 2008
Hi buddy.
Believe me, all the retopo is worth to do it. You will have much more fexibility now. It is now to make the expression.

Stay creative
Chris

Last edited by Drikus : 04 April 2008 at 09:36 AM.

04 April 2008
@ Hideyoshi & GiantG:

I see your points. I'm not 100% satisfied with the silhouette of the monster, too. It's my task now to push the design in the detailing process which I also want to use, to refine the proportions a bit. The head can become a bit more expressive, I would say and I'll try to use the hornplates to create some accents in the silhouette.

Concerning your point, GiantG, since it is a wild animal creature it's ok that it does not look like an 'evil alien'. I want to create a creature, that is beautiful and menacing the same time. Just like a lion or a gorilla are not 'evil' creatures, but you won't put on a fight with em, you know? I think, that the texturing of the Hawkbeast will play an important role in hopefully achieving this. Colors and markings can do so much to a creature design. I hope that in the coloring I'll have the chance to push the design even further. But that's future talk. First let's see, what I can do with the form alone.

@ Drikus:

Right, buddy! Now I will spend some hours sculpting on this baby. I'm looking forward to this since last weekend.

04 April 2008
Thumbs up

Stunning work ! waiting for your more detailed version

04 April 2008

Ok, first session of detailing is over. I concentrated on the overall masses and put in the horn plates. I began to work on the head a bit more detailed but I'm still on a low detail level here. This is only subdivision level 4 and there are already enough polys to go into detail in most places. However, to create fine wrinkles and horny skin I will go up to subdivision level 5 or 6. Still a lot of work to do.

I purchased Richard Rosenman's Depth of Field Pro plug in for photoshop recently. I hope you don't mind me to play around with it a bit in my WIP images (like I did here). I can really recommend this plug in to everbody who uses ZBrush. Since you always get a Depth Channel when you export an image via ZAppLink into photoshop you can do really nice things with this plug in.

04 April 2008
Arrow

the depth of field works nicely..is it something that you physically adjust or it calculates on its own..hmm if you did use i am wondering if your damsil would be affected by it aswell..In anycase, its coming along nicely..i like the teal lightsoucing

UPLIFT CHALLENGE

B-MOVIE

NVart Competition

KING
PHARAOH
GOLIATH

04 April 2008
Hi Daniel.
Yes, slowly we can see, where the way is going. Very nice. A little bit to much DOF, but we know, who is responsible for using this plug...

Be creative
Chris

Last edited by Drikus : 04 April 2008 at 06:59 AM.

04 April 2008
Thanks for your replies!

I don't know yet if I will use the depth of field effect in the final composition. In this WIP it just serves the purpose to direct the attention to the part I put the most work in. For the final composition I'm going for a more illustrative look I think, were everything is in sharp focus. But I won't finally decide on this just yet. I will definetly experiment with the alternatives.

04 April 2008

Did some hours of sculpting today. I tried some different brushes and I experimented with the level of detail I want to reach in the end. Still a lot of work ahead!

04 April 2008
Hey Daniel,

Nice job on your alien monster so far, it is a cool looking design. I look forward to the rest of your image.

04 April 2008
really great modeling!

Thread Closed share thread