Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Daniel Lieske

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2008
Work In Progress: Sculpting WIP

Ok, another evening of sculpting and now I have blocked in the Captain. I established the general proportions and I have also put in some quick color for better judgement of the shapes and relations. I don't really like t-poses because they let the character look totally dull. But I can imagine him in a cool pose. However, I will sleep a night or two over it and check back on the proportions before I do some retopo work on the model. I plan to use the model in later works so I want to give him a real good topology that can stand some playing around.

04 April 2008

What I like about weekends is, that you can really make progress. :)

I finished the t-pose sculpting on Captain Orion. I retopologized the jacket and hood but I left the body mesh untouched. It hold the detail for this artwork quite well and I think if I ever need the Captain for other purposes I will THEN take the extra time to alter the mesh. I would definetely like to give him a proper mouth interior and teeth and so on but for now he will work just fine how he is right now. I only have to model his gun now and then I will put him into pose.

04 April 2008
Amazing work! Very inspiring!

04 April 2008
I've followed this for a while. Now leaving a little mark just to say that the scene is very much a classic and the style of your characters, the captain and the monster especially, contribute to it. Also great details you have in these.

My absolute favourite though is your last scene previz: lovely colours! Am curious to see what lighting and colour you go for with the 3D. I hope your final work will have the same fairy tale-like quality your scene previz has.

04 April 2008
You have some realy solid modeling there. I am just getting down to the posing and composition stage myself and it is always a nice feeling to finally start image making (Finaly I am getting to where my ten minute sketch was).

It looks like you will be there soon yourself... enjoy!!

04 April 2008

Today I modelled Captain Orion's Blaster. I know, it's a crazy thing to model such an object in ZBrush but I did all the modelling in ZBrush till this point and I just wanted to challenge myself to use no other 3D Software. So to say, I deserved the pain. :) Well, actually it worked not as bad as I feared. I used ZSpheres to design the shape of the Blaster (no sketches)and created an Unified Skin from that amature. i sculpted in the main details, edges and stuff and then did retopologize the whole thing. With the new mesh I did all the detailing and it was done. It's still a bit bendy in some places but I like the overall result and I think it will work quite fine in the end.

04 April 2008
And for some replies:

@ Paul4wood:

Thank you!

@ Sleepyghost:

Yea, I also like the Scene Previz a few pages back. Rest asured that I'm really trying to go for an illustrated look much like the Previz in the end. My main weakness is, that I tend to put too much contrast in everything in order to "scream out the message". That's why I plan to put a huge effort into the rendering and compositing of this image. I just have to resist the temptation to show every tiny detail in crisp contrast. *biting fingernails*

@ John Keates:

I know exactly what you mean! The 3D way can often feel like extremely delayed painting. But I must say, that sculpting feels really good and the most time I'm not even thinking about the fact, that I'm supposed to produce a picture here. I hope I will do so in the end anyway.

04 April 2008
Wow! I haven't looked at this thread for a while... Awesome modeling - love the captain Orion model - it's just amazing.
Super Arbeit, bin sehr gespannt, wie alles am Ende aussehen wird!

Cheers,

Dimitrij.

Uplift Universe

Gnothi seauton

04 April 2008
looks great.
every time I look, It gets better.
SECRET AGENT
B-Movie

04 April 2008

Ok, here's the pose on Captain Orion. I gave it some thought and I think that the first pose was dynamic but also completely senseless. Instead, I'm going for tension, now. Captain Orion has just stopped climbing after the Hawkbeast and for a terrible moment, he does not know what to do next. He tries to distract the beast by holding out his hand. he hopes to get just enough time to aim his Blaster...

You can also see that I began giving some shape to the tree. Hopefully I can show you the finished tree tomorow.

04 April 2008
'morning dude.

Wow, very impressive. So much details, and every part is working for itself. You could take some shots of the whole scene and use it for a own image, if you like.
I am interested in coloring the whole stuff, it will be a "nice" task.

Be creative
Chris

04 April 2008
You're an amazing artist, can't wait to see how this pans out. The look in your main character's face is strong, I like it!

04 April 2008
@ Drikus:

I'm also curious about the coloring. I think that I will go for very simple and stylized color that makes the shading stand out. If I need color variations in special parts the I might as well do them later in compositing.

@ Aseph:

Thanks! I'm also looking forward to the end result. I'm getting closer!

04 April 2008
Thumbs up

Wow! The pose looks great. The face is very expressive and natural and it has a touch of classic sci-fi (the suit and all). Thumbs up!

Cheers,

Dimitrij.

Uplift Universe

Gnothi seauton

04 April 2008

I'm closing in! I have now a model of the tree. It's split into three parts, so that I can easily subdivide it to the necessary level. The leafs are painted in in photoshop for previsualization. I plan to add the leafs in ZBrush when everything is dropped onto the 2.5D canvas. That gives me more freedom for placement and better performance.

For the next step, I will take every model into a finishing touches round (Hawkbeast, Girl, Orion and Tree) and then I'm going to start polypainting.

Thread Closed share thread