Tablet for outside work on Photoshop / ZBrush / 3DCoat

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 08 August 2014   #1
Tablet for outside work on Photoshop / ZBrush / 3DCoat

Greetings everyone!

So I am trying to get a bit more outside of the office lately and I am looking for a tablet on which I can work professionally. I am a freelancer and being inside the office all day can get quite boring. Anyhow, I use software like Photoshop, ZBrush, 3DCoat and Maya (although this part I prefer to do in-doors since I do 3D Animation).

Any good recommendations? It needs to work in near direct sunlight so glare is an issue.

Thanks a bunch!

Cheers,
Eduardo

Old 08 August 2014   #2
The tablet that jumps to mind when you mentioned glare being an issue is the Wacom Cintiq Companion. http://cintiqcompanion.wacom.com/CintiqCompanion/en/

It's a Windows 8 tablet -- don't confuse it with the Wacom Cintiq Companion Hybrid which is the Android based version. The CPU is an Intel i7, so it can easily handle Photoshop and ZBrush. Unfortunately, it's a tablet, so you're stuck with using the Intel HD Graphics 4000 integrated GPU. You can use 3DCoat and Maya on it, but set your expectations accordingly -- great for lightweight work on the go. The thing that sets the Cintiq Companion apart from other Windows tablets like the Dell Venue or Microsoft Surface Pro is the antiglare coating on the display. Hope that helps!

Old 08 August 2014   #3
Thanks, Pomru, that did help a lot. At the moment I don't think I can buy a Companion but that really seems to be the best way to go for my needs.

Thanks a bunch!

Eduardo

Old 08 August 2014   #4
Cintiq companion is overpriced and not portable at all. You are not going to be using it outdoors in the sunlight.

A surface pro 3 128 gb is half the price and is faster, has more battery life and better color accuracy. I use mine all the time with zbrush/photoshop and 3d coat, works great.

Old 08 August 2014   #5
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: Cintiq companion is overpriced and not portable at all. You are not going to be using it outdoors in the sunlight.

A surface pro 3 128 gb is half the price and is faster, has more battery life and better color accuracy. I use mine all the time with zbrush/photoshop and 3d coat, works great.

Hey Ali, I saw someone recommending you the Surface on another thread. Is it usable outdoors, at least a little bit (not necessarily direct sunlight)? I've read the Surface 3 has a new type of screen that kind of helps minimize glare.

Thanks for the info!

Old 08 August 2014   #6
Sorry for the late reply.

Yes you can use it outdoors, you are not going to get super good visibility if the sun is shining on the screen but I do sketch at the park under the shade of a tree or something all the time.

reply share thread