Overclock expert, is this possible?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 07 July 2014   #1
Overclock expert, is this possible?

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachm...65&d=1406402869
This results comes from a 7years old 8core 2.1MP that normally score about 550 in multithread and 75 in single thread operations, note that(according to www.cbscores.com )the results in the picture outperform the fastest OC 2014 I7 in single thread and the fastest 8core Xeon currently available in multithread.
What's your opinion about this?

Old 07 July 2014   #2
I wouldn't add that score to my list, there's clearly something not kosher about it. To get a single thread score that high would require a 5.5GHz overclock of a brand new intel chip, let alone anything from 7 years ago. Such a high score would also drag the opengl score up significantly, even with the rubbish geforce 640 card, that thing would be upwards of 80 fps.

As a stock mac, impossible. One possibility is that he's overclocked the mac, in which case the numbers mean nothing. When you overclock a mac, the onboard clock and timing systems go haywire, meaning cinebench has no real sense of how much time has passed, hence the score could be anything. Alternatively that could be an emulated OS, again, this messes up timing systems so benchmarks give incorrect results. Or, its a benchmark bug.

That, or its photoshopped. But that machine didn't get that score legitimately.

Old 07 July 2014   #3
Originally Posted by imashination: I wouldn't add that score to my list, there's clearly something not kosher about it. To get a single thread score that high would require a 5.5GHz overclock of a brand new intel chip, let alone anything from 7 years ago.

With a (not yet overclocked) i7-4790 i get a single core speed of 175. Mind you this is the most current CPU you can get with basically the fastest base clockrate (4 GHz). No 7 year old chip will do that, not even using liquid nitrogen or similar. The screenshot is bogus.

Old 07 July 2014   #4
Thanks for your inputs. BTW that guy have just answered to my questions, but his answer looks much weirder than the benchmark results.

reply share thread