CGTalk > Technical > Technical and Hardware
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 07-25-2014, 03:20 AM   #1
mcKempt
portfolio

Need Help on Picking Between Graphics Tablets

Hello,
Hey, I'm debating between getting one of these two graphics tablets. There is no budget; I just won a disability claim and I'm receiving a bit of change as back-pay and subsequently updating all my outdated and broken down technology as a result.
I'm not a professional artist, nor aspire to be (-yet, I might take on the degree after my other(s)), and draw on a fairly limited basis. I tend to sway between periods of drawing for months, to periods of months of not drawing at all.
That being said, I'm hoping to find the right tablet that inspires me to draw more, which I'm pretty sure both would do, as well as cut-down on some of my other "time-consuming habits". I'm also making sure I don't commit another horrific spending spree, yet again. ;P

I'm an illustrator at best, of medium quality, and I heard that a larger tablet make it easier to do sketches. Both my previous tablets were small, which worked fine, I'm just interested in seeing if a larger tablet is 'truly' easier and faster to produce arts. (They say larger is easier, but muscle memory will kick in for a smaller, so the same quality is produced either way)
My first tablet lasted me 5 years, my second lasted 7. I'm hoping to get 10 out of whatever I get next.

Wacom Cintiq 22HD (Active Area: 19.5" x 11.5") - $2000 or the Touch at $2500
Wacom Intuos5 Large (Active Area: 6.2 x 3.9) - $300

I'm also going to be building my next computer which will more than likely have a touchscreen monitor with Windows 8. Are there pens and such available for a touchscreen monitor? Will it be up to the quality of a graphics tablet?

In the end, I'm looking for opinions/advise on if it. I remember thinking a while back "Oh, how cool would it be to have a large, digital canvas to draw directly on...", but is it worth spending all that money on it if you only use it for 5-6 months out of the year?
I can only assume this is a challenge for even a billionaire to decide, the only exception is that they have the fortunate ability to buy and sample both.

Thanks in advance for any professional input you can provide. I've read the reviews on both, and let me tell you it's hard to choose!
-mcKempt

reply share thread