Advice: Best PC laptop for Art/Design

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 07 July 2014   #1
Advice: Best PC laptop for Art/Design

Hi, I'm a professional games artist looking to become more mobile and break away from my desktop setup.
I'd like to know from fellow professional artists what the best laptop p.c is to use? I'm not interested at all in a macbook, it has to be p.c based.

I'm wondering whether 15.6 or 17.3 inch laptop is better? Would I really notice the difference on a day to day basis? Also i've been advised that SSD storage is much better. But that already limits the choice out there.
Any advice/examples of laptops you're currently using and what for would be greatly appreciated. The more recent the better. I'd be mainly using photoshop, sketchbook pro, promotion and potentially Flash.

Ideally I want to spend as little as possible. But realistically I realise i'll be paying a minimum of 1000, possibly more. But I absolutely cannot go over 2000.

Cheers for your time!

Stef

Old 07 July 2014   #2
If you want a one-stop recommendation, I'd go for a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 or for better performance, a Surface Pro 3. You can also look at the Cintiq Companion which is a Surface Pro that has been modded by Wacom for a few nice extras that you might find useful.

For a regular laptop, a larger screen is always nice but it will add to the weight. Many times I have been surprised when I tote any laptop around at how much it starts to weigh you down. Lighter is going to be more conducive to the mobility aspect you are looking for.

Old 07 July 2014   #3
Unless you need the mobility then stick with a desktop, I wouldn't choose a laptop for any other reason.
If you must go with a laptop, MSI has some good ones, like the GS60 or GS70 which are thin and light, but have pretty fast components. If you don't care much about size they have more power for less. Lenovo does pretty well also, and Dell has some nice laptops.

Old 07 July 2014   #4
Please post in appropriate subforums.
We have a hardware section for these questions, General Discussion is only for non hardware, non technique and non app topics that don't fit into more specialized boards.
Moved this for you.

Old 07 July 2014   #5
I would completely recommend Surface Pro 3. It is amazing with Photoshop/Sketchbook pro/Zbrush.

Old 07 July 2014   #6
Is the 3 that much better- I tinkered with it at the MS Kiosk and it seemed alright but obviously the display one was filthy so wasn't sure how much the touch accuracy was effected.

My 2 is good but honestly I am back to looking for something bigger for home use- have the Intuos, never got used to it and have a t901- it's ok but falling apart

Old 08 August 2014   #7
Hello,

I need some advice on buying a laptop that's good for 3DS Max (2009) and Adobe CC products (mostly Photoshop, illustrator, Flash and After Effects). I would also like to do some gaming, mostly racing simulators and some FPS (rFactor 1,2, GTR2, GT Legends, LFS, Codemasters F1 2013, Battlefield 4)

The notebook should be able to handle Max 2009 well and 60 FPS on games like F1 2013 and Battlefield 4. The laptop should also be able to support DirecX 9 based games. I've noticed that modern laptops with switchable graphics under Windows 8 don't detect DirectX 9 based games as high-performance applications, resulting in the applications using Intel HD Graphics. I have an Acer 4715z laptop with 1.5 GB Ram, 1.73 GHz dual core processor, Intel GMA 965 and 128 GB HDD. It's completely outdated.

I want a laptop that is better than the one mentioned below. It runs everything I've mentioned above quite well. The only problem is, the laptop isn't mine, so I can't have access to it all the time. This is the system:

Dell Inspiron 14R N4410:
Intel Core i5 2430M clocked at 2.4 GHz (no boost)
500 GB HDD
4 GB Ram
AMD HD 6630M (though Dell site offers drivers for AMD HD 7560M )

Here are some of the options I'm looking at:

Acer Aspire V3-772G-7448
Intel core i7 4712MQ Quad Core@ 2.20 GHz
Win 8.1 64
8 GB RAM
1 TB HDD 5400 rpm
Nvidia GeForce GT 750 M 4 GB DDR3 (or 5 not sure)
17.3 inch
1920X1080 resolution.
Power Consumption: Don't know.
More here:
This model isn't available in my country. I will have to import it. Total cost would be about Rs. 123,000.

Lenovo Y510P
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
Windows 8.1 64
NVIDIA GeForce GT755M (SLI) GDDR5 2GB
8.0GB DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz (4GBx2)
15.6" FHD LED with integrated camera (1920x1080)
1TB 5400 RPM + 8GB SSD (Hybrid Drive)
6 Cell 72 Watt Hour Lithium-Ion
Intel 7260 b/g/n Wireless (2x2 BGN)
Optical Drive: Ultrabay SLI Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GT755M GDDR5 2GB
The dealer will most probably not allow me to buy this model without the ultrabay SLI Graphics.
Power consumption: 170 Watts (120 Watts without the ultrabay SLI)
This model is available here and I can get it for Rs. 125,000.

MSI CX61 2PC Classic Series:
Intel Core i7 4700MQ or 4712MQ Quad Core (don't recall)
Win 8.1 64
NVIDIA GeForce 820M 2GB DDR3
8 GB Ram 1600 MHz
1 TB HDD 5400 rpm
15.6" 1366X768 max
Power consumption: 90 Watts
This model is available here. I can get it for Rs. 95,000

Dell Inspiron 14R 5437:
Intel Core i7 4500 (Probably U) clocked flat at 1.8 GHz (no sign of turbo boost, even on bios)
Win 8.1 64
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB DDR5
8 GB Ram 1600 MHz
1 TB HDD 5400 rpm
14" 1366X768 Max
Power Consumption: 90 Watts.
I can get this model, but I'm afraid the processor won't allow me to open Max and Photoshop at the same time. Views?
This model is available here. I can get it for Rs. 88,000.

The reason I'm listing power consumption is because we have load shedding problems here (scheduled power outage: 3 to 12 hours per day depending on season). I have some backup power, which can handle 2 laptops, 1 17 inch monitor with external TV card, 2 low watt light bulbs (10 Watts each). So, even during power outage, I can run my laptop (the old Acer and the Dell Inspiron 4410.)

If I get the monstrous Y510P, my backup power will probably not handle it, or just barely run it without any option of running everything else. Please advise which model I should get. MSI gaming series laptops are available in the market. They're priced beyond the Lenovo Y510P. Thank you so much for reading all this. Have a nice day!

Old 08 August 2014   #8
Unless you need the mobility then stick with a desktop, I wouldn't choose a laptop for any other reason.
If you must go with a laptop, MSI has some good ones, like the GS60 or GS70 which are thin and light, but have pretty fast components. If you don't care much about size they have more power for less. Lenovo does pretty well also, and Dell has some nice laptops.

don't forget get about the asus g series laptops, they are pretty fast. we have quite a few of them at our office. Personally I dont have an ssd in my dell laptop but the asus laptops do and the ssd does make a huge difference.

Last edited by DuttyFoot : 08 August 2014 at 12:52 AM.

reply share thread