CUDA-compliant careful consideration

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 03 March 2014   #1
CUDA-compliant careful consideration

Greetings.

I'm looking for some insight with regards to CUDA-compliant GPUs for learning purposes (programming for the GPU).

My current machine sports a Radeon HD6850, which is more than fine for my performance needs. However, I'd be willing to sacrifice general performance in lieu of more CUDA bang for the buck.

What would be the entry-level best buy in this regard? The 750 / 750 Ti reviews are positive from what I've read, but I feel like I'm risking bumps along the Maxwell early adoption road. Is this sensible?

Basically, what I need is full compatibility with (hopefully) all relevant libraries, APIs, and the like, including but not limited to OpenGL, CUDA, and OpenCL.

Old 03 March 2014   #2
from my view, the 750 Ti was the best bang for the buck.. but if you needed DP, then Titan was the choice.

Old 03 March 2014   #3
Originally Posted by bcoka: Greetings.

I'm looking for some insight with regards to CUDA-compliant GPUs for learning purposes (programming for the GPU).

My current machine sports a Radeon HD6850, which is more than fine for my performance needs. However, I'd be willing to sacrifice general performance in lieu of more CUDA bang for the buck.

What would be the entry-level best buy in this regard? The 750 / 750 Ti reviews are positive from what I've read, but I feel like I'm risking bumps along the Maxwell early adoption road. Is this sensible?

Basically, what I need is full compatibility with (hopefully) all relevant libraries, APIs, and the like, including but not limited to OpenGL, CUDA, and OpenCL.

Any 7xx card will do, just look at what version of CUDA they support, and you won't find any issues with feature support.
If you want 1/6 DP speed instead of 1/24 then yes, you'll have to buy a Titan or even worse a quadro, but that's just the unit necking, no feature will be affected, only the amount of operations, so for dev purposes it's irrelevant, especially if you don't care for DP (which outside of academic exercises or certain numeric and scientific domains is unused anyway).

For some features, such as hardware stereo or per buffer high colour depth output in OGL, you will need a quadro, but again, as far as working with CUDA and most of its CG-related commercial implementations are concerned that's a non-issue.

Go for bang for buck once you know what version support you want to clear.

Old 03 March 2014   #4
Thanks for the replies!

I'll be going for either a 750 (CUDA 5.0), or a 640, which is the only non-high-end 3.5-capable card as far as I can tell.

I didn't know double precision was so artificially limited, but either way, I won't be needing it.

Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: For some features, such as hardware stereo or per buffer high colour depth output in OGL, you will need a quadro

By high colour depth output, do you mean 10 bits per channel? Does that make a perceivable diffence, assuming adequate display hardware?

Old 03 March 2014   #5
Originally Posted by bcoka: By high colour depth output, do you mean 10 bits per channel? Does that make a perceivable diffence, assuming adequate display hardware?

Provided you have a monitor that can at least display a 10bit width against a 12bit LUT, a source that covers it in enough detail and quality to take advantage of it, and the right environment to observe the difference, yes, it does.
That means if you do comp for film coming from sources such as at least a black magic or better in a dark room with an adequate monitor you will definitely do. Anything less than that and you are exceedingly unlikely to notice.

reply share thread