Old 03-02-2014, 02:12 AM   #1
CoreyArtE
Gotta Improve

portfolio
Corey Loving
School
USA

Send a message via AIM to CoreyArtE

Whats a Good Win 8 Tablet for Portable Drawing?

Im looking for a good windows drawing tablet. I already tried out the surface pro 2 (4 gigs 128gb model) for a week and decided to return it. The screen was too small for me in photoshop's cs6 menu's ( i think atleast 11.6 inch is better over the 10.8 inch surface pro size) and it had some lag issue on pretty standard image size files. I had to shrink images pretty small like 1000 pixels and below for no lag and work normally. So now im on the search for aother portable tablet.

I played around with sony vaio flip 13 which seemed fairly ok. Pretty powerful and great batterlife. I heard the samsung slate was pretty good but they didnt have one at the best buy near me to play with. The wacom campanion sounds ok but might be too large to feel portable with the 13 inch screen and waay too expensive in my opinion.

Im trying to keep my budget under 1300 if I can and even will buy a used one. Im just trying to find something with decent power , preferably a keyboard that can run photoshop cs6 smoothly. And also 11.6 screen seems perfect size to me but I dont know. What are the artist using these days for their portable art needs???

Old 03-03-2014, 04:44 AM   #2
sacboi
[Ping Pong Addict]

portfolio
Ian Rei
CG Generalist
TBA
Melbourne, Australia

I run Photoshop CS6 on my WIN 7 [64bit] Intel Corei5 desktop so I'm not really a tablet user, however these WIN 8 OS [compatible] tablet/laptop reviews from "Trustedreviews.com" may be of interest to you, price points range from mid to high end.

The System specs seem to suggest sufficient functionality/processing architecture to enable implementation of the above Image Editor package:

HP Envy Here and Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro Here

Cheers ;)

Old 03-03-2014, 05:04 AM   #3
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

its a pity the new Samsung galaxy note tab pro which is 12 inches has android. it would be perfect for what you are looking for. hopefully the surface 3 will be a little bigger whenever it comes out.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/ga.../SM-P9000ZKVXAR

Old 03-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
CoreyArtE
Gotta Improve

portfolio
Corey Loving
School
USA

sakboi: Yeah I say windows 8 because it seems to be the only system available for tablets. I use win 7 myself on my home computer. That site you sent me was great. The hp Envy link didnt work ,but the yoga 2 got a perfect score. I always get turned around with the models because I know theres a Lenovo Thinkpad, and now theres the Lenova Yoga 2. Its kinda confusing though because on the link you sent they say it weighs 3 pounds (1.39kg) but on amazon they are saying it weighs 7 pounds. Unless im mistaken. It looks good either way.

DuttyFoot: Yeah I hear the galaxy notes are pretty good for art but are android based so cant use photoshop cs6 on it. Though im seriously considering getting a win7 samsung slate tablet. I also feel the surface pro 2 had a great feel to it and was close to being perfect outside those 2 issues i named (which are pretty big for me). But your right, maybe the surface pro 3 is worth waiting for instead. The sony vaio tap 11 is close to being what I want tho but seems like surface pro is king for now.

Last edited by CoreyArtE : 03-03-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
Tuxon86
PRO
portfolio
Alain Ménard
Beauharnois, Canada

Maybe the weight difference is the power supply. One is for the tablet alone and the other, on Amazon is the total weight of the systeme.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:37 PM   #6
grrinc
Expert

http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptop.../x-series/x230/

I recently got this. It has a Wacom touch screen with included Wacom pen. Whilst, it is essentially a small laptop, when the screen is turned round to tablet mode, it really is a powerful and rock solid portable artist tool. Battery life is excellent too, trips back and forth to London have yet to see me stranded so far.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
CoreyArtE
Gotta Improve

portfolio
Corey Loving
School
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrinc
http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptop.../x-series/x230/

I recently got this. It has a Wacom touch screen with included Wacom pen. Whilst, it is essentially a small laptop, when the screen is turned round to tablet mode, it really is a powerful and rock solid portable artist tool. Battery life is excellent too, trips back and forth to London have yet to see me stranded so far.

Does the thinkpad feel heavy? And i wonder does it ever feel strange reaching over the keyboard to draw on the screen?

Tuxon86: Hmm im not too sure to be honest you could be right.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #8
grrinc
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyArtE
Does the thinkpad feel heavy? And i wonder does it ever feel strange reaching over the keyboard to draw on the screen?

The screen spins round and snaps over the keyboard. After that it looks like a thick, and yeah slightly heavy, tablet. I guess that is the compromise. It is a good all rounder imo.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
Tuxon86
PRO
portfolio
Alain Ménard
Beauharnois, Canada

The X240 (replacing the X230), by looking at the picture on the site, doesn't seem to be equiped with a flip screen anymore... And those prices, in british pounds are way over the top for a regular notebook computer.

At those price, I would get a cintiq 13" and velcro a macbook air on the backside :-)

Old 03-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #10
grrinc
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxon86
The X240 (replacing the X230), by looking at the picture on the site, doesn't seem to be equiped with a flip screen anymore... And those prices, in british pounds are way over the top for a regular notebook computer.

At those price, I would get a cintiq 13" and velcro a macbook air on the backside :-)

Yeah I have noticed that too. Shame really. It has to be said too that build quality is a big factor with Thinkpads - they are big and ugly and tough. I think that is reflected in the price too.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #11
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

I wonder was it a RAM issue with your 4gb Surface? I got a 8gb/256 one last week and find it pretty snappy drawing on 4k images. If the size is an issue of course this is moot, but it works well for me (I tend to draw fairly small on paper in any case).

Cheers,
Brian

Old 03-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #12
CoreyArtE
Gotta Improve

portfolio
Corey Loving
School
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horganovski
I wonder was it a RAM issue with your 4gb Surface? I got a 8gb/256 one last week and find it pretty snappy drawing on 4k images. If the size is an issue of course this is moot, but it works well for me (I tend to draw fairly small on paper in any case).

Cheers,
Brian

Yeah im pretty sure the 8gb model wouldnt have any issues. I just dont want to fork out that kind of money for one at the moment. The screen size and its super tiny menu's in photoshop would be alittle bit more tolerable if I atleast had a smooth drawing experience on standard files. I remember I posted on the adobe forum and they just told me they are aware of the issue and are working on it.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:12 PM   #13
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Please don't post hardware threads in the General Discussions forum.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:56 PM   #14
CoreyArtE
Gotta Improve

portfolio
Corey Loving
School
USA

sorry i thought it was a general discussion. I posted b4 with no problems I wont do it again sir

Old 03-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #15
lubbe75

Hard to find

I'm also on the lookout for a windows 8 tablet with a pressure sensitive stylus.

It's not easy to find as manufacturers don't push these features as very valuable. If you go to the manufacturers' home pages they don't list clearly which models that come with an active stylus. What is your experiences on this?

For now I don't know any other way than to search various forums, like this one, for tips on what's out there and what's working well.

reply share thread