building a low cost c4d workstation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #16
Originally Posted by tapaul: Seems everyone slaps a premium on their boxes at the hint of the word "workstation"

Correct and imo very much unjustified.
Higher powered i7 systems don't register for most manufacturers for anything but gaming systems. They either have i5 or low power i7 for business use, or Xeons for "workstation" and server use.
Current Haswell i7 deliver a good bang for the bug and are running cool and reliable.

Old 10 October 2013   #17
Originally Posted by tapaul: as far as I can tell xeon requires ECC , i7 does not, but i7 actually seems to be able to use it as well if the board supports it (2011 does)

As far as I know most xeon will work also without ecc ram. I'm also pretty sure that i7 do not take advantage from ecc memory regardless what motherboard you choose.

Old 10 October 2013   #18
For gfx artists, ECC memory offers nothing useful. Some people will see that ecc memory error corrects and gives a more stable system, and wrongly assume it will help them. Truth is, virtually every crash or error you suffer will be because of buggy code in your software or drivers; ECC only protects against electrical instability caused by extremely rare circumstances.

Its the computer equivalent of buying elephant repellent whilst living in a London apartment...

Old 11 November 2013   #19
Originally Posted by sirio: I don't totally agree, an e5-1650 v2 cost as much as an i7-4930K an have a slightly ghz advantage(if you are not interested in OC), plus is support ECC memory and some more features. While the e5-1650v2 is very attracting for his price point I agree with you that many other xeon cpus do not offer the same price/performance ratio.

possibility of slight overclocking makes the i7 more interesting I think

Old 11 November 2013   #20
the only thing I could make my mind up about is the motherboard...

I am now even more confused than ever about a gfx card.

A: the gtx 680 , titan,ect have just got a massive price drop and that has not been reflected in the prices I see.

and look at this !!

these game card are basically pants in a pro application it seems. Is it like this in C4D?
if not, theres something wrong with c4d ogl implementation? Has me thinking..
I find the result astonoshing, considering that ever since I have been using c4d the consensus has been that professional gfx cards are waste of money. seems not to be the case in those apps.

gtx 580 looking good for OGL ?

Last edited by tapaul : 11 November 2013 at 08:34 PM.

Old 11 November 2013   #21
That is mainly because professional Quadro and FirePro cards come with special optimized drivers for Maya and Max. It does make quite a difference.

For Cinema4d my experience is that the high-end AMD consumer cards traditionally outpace both Quadro and FirePro cards. For example, in Cinebench 15, on my aging system, the 7970 GPU score is 87fps. Quite a bit higher than a Quadro (k)4000.

But it depends on various factors. Also, those SPEC benchmarks only test part of the opengl performance, and both Max and Maya run in DirectX now - which tends to bring a performance boost on Windows workstations as well.

A Titan is probably a good match, and also support CUDA accelerated applications well with 6gb.

Although some of these GPU scores look a bit unbelievable, check out this benchmark list:
http://www.cbscores.com/index.php?sort=ogl&order=desc

Old 11 November 2013   #22
> CUDA accelerated applications
beyond a few tech demo's, ive never seen a cuda accelerated application (maybe some of the new realtime renderers?)

the only place I could use anything like that is openCL together with photoscan.

I kinda fancy that new radeon 290x , looking good for the money and I would support AMD, out of principle right now, just for making NV drop its prices (they have been taking the p*ss for quite a while now)

Old 11 November 2013   #23
Originally Posted by tapaul: > CUDA accelerated applications
beyond a few tech demo's, ive never seen a cuda accelerated application (maybe some of the new realtime renderers?)

the only place I could use anything like that is openCL together with photoscan.

I kinda fancy that new radeon 290x , looking good for the money and I would support AMD, out of principle right now, just for making NV drop its prices (they have been taking the p*ss for quite a while now)

Most of my h264 video encoding application at home are cuda accelerated.
At work we also use cartographic/topologic pro apps that rely on cuda also.

Old 11 November 2013   #24
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread