Microsoft Surface Pro 2

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 09 September 2013   #16
Originally Posted by DuttyFoot: ...i will never forget what they did to the zune.

You say that like it won't happen again.

Here's my prediction: It will be a good product marred by poor dev support. High-ups at MS will give it a couple years, look at the numbers, grumble about quarterly losses and never hitting "iPad numbers," decide that public didn't want fast, convenient tablets after all, dump remaining units, then head to BJ's to wait an hour for a table.

Old 09 September 2013   #17
Originally Posted by Artbot: Here's my prediction: It will be a good product marred by poor dev support. High-ups at MS will give it a couple years, look at the numbers, grumble about quarterly losses and never hitting "iPad numbers," decide that public didn't want fast, convenient tablets after all, dump remaining units, then head to BJ's to wait an hour for a table.

If anything the previous version and the response to this one insofar show that people are bloody starving for a reasonably priced, high performance slim, and have no need for more clutter in the tablet market.

The RT version was a failure (but Microsoft can't afford to stop trying, they HAVE TO get a slice of that market to survive the winter of local computing), but the Pro was a major critical and sales success.
It was constantly flat out pre-sold, they completely misjudged volumes and got them swapped (RT was overstocked and rotting the Pro was short produced and constantly selling out).

The fact it's a full fledged laptop also makes support a non-issue.
It's a piece of hardware like any other (the pro), you don't need any more support than the default OS availability already provides, and unlike Win RT, iOS and Android, Windows Pro doesn't require you stay on the edge of updates.
If you buy one, it dies when the hardware nears obsolescence, not when they cut support (unlike stupid ipad and android tablets).

Old 09 September 2013   #18
Quote: You say that like it won't happen again.

hey, i have to be somewhat hopeful

Old 09 September 2013   #19
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: ...show that people are bloody starving for a reasonably priced, high performance slim, and have no need for more clutter in the tablet market.

Agreed. I was making a joke about the ass-backward MS habit of looking at sales numbers, being disappointed, and concluding that it was the platform that failed, and not the product that they were offering.

In other words, they would see their tablets aren't selling and determine that "people just don't want tablets" while that is probably not the case at all.

Last edited by Artbot : 09 September 2013 at 10:02 PM.

Old 09 September 2013   #20
Originally Posted by mantragora: Check polycount forum. There is a Surface Pro topic there with guys who use Zbrush. EDIT: I think it's here

Thanks for the link mantragora
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: I will definitely pick up the 256gb one with 8gb ram. It should run zbrush just fine. Just get one of the logitech game board things and put it next to you when zbrushing:

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-ca/pr...anced-gameboard

@Sheep: Can the joystick on the Logitech G13 be mapped to allow you to orbit the model in Zbrush?

Also I'm used to the Intuos pen where the side button can be clicked 'up' or 'down' (mapped to middle mouse and right click functions). Does side button on the Pro pen have that dual use ability or is it limited to a single click function? None of the reviews I've watched make that distinction. Thanks

Old 09 September 2013   #21
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: I trialed a surface pro 1 last week and LOVED it. It is way better than Wacom's overpriced cintiq companion. Had no trouble using zbrush, photoshop and sketchbook pro with it. It is great for sketching on the go.
Hey Sheep, have you been able to try out a Cintiq Companion then? If so can you let me know how ZB ran on it? With the Surface Pro, does the pressure sensitivity work out of the box or do you have to jump through some hoops to get it working?

Old 09 September 2013   #22
Cintiq's is last gen intel- power issues! Wait and see...

Old 10 October 2013   #23
Quote: Just get one of the logitech game board things and put it next to you when zbrushing:

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-ca/pr...anced-gameboard

Second the reco for the G13, it's an amazing left-hand companion for 3D and 2D work. Even if you use a mouse mostly, it's devastating and really speeds things up for me. I even use the joystick for navigation in Mudbox and Maya, while sculpting/painting on the fly!

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 10 October 2013   #24
you have a touch based input device (tablet).. and you want to add a gamepad to it to provide touch controls... oh the irony! :P

Old 10 October 2013   #25
Tell me how the touch-surface part of this setup equals keystroke combinations, hotkeys, Alt (for 3D nav in Maya, for example), Ctrl, Shift, or anything key-related at all. Touch and mouse are equated, with the right hand. Keypad and keyboard are equated, on the left. The G13 is simply much more programmable and ergonomic than the main keyboard.

This works well with Wacoms and with touch-screens. If you don't like the suggestion, simply don't buy one. But if you can't understand the difference between a keyboard and a mouse, then perhaps you're in the wrong field.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 10 October 2013   #26
Does seem a bit overkill for an on the go device.... cintiq is an entirely different story at least other than the companions. Why not use a bluetooth keyboard? I use artdock on my fuji sometimes and it works but it does make my screen feel cramped at times. i've thought about a wireless bt keyboard for when I get my sp2 in dec... just a thought

Old 11 November 2013   #27
Originally Posted by AJ: Hey Sheep, have you been able to try out a Cintiq Companion then? If so can you let me know how ZB ran on it? With the Surface Pro, does the pressure sensitivity work out of the box or do you have to jump through some hoops to get it working?

I tried out the companion at a store here and imo the surface pro 2 is better in every possible way. Wacom is way overcharging over what those Cintiq companions are really worth.

Old 11 November 2013   #28
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: I tried out the companion at a store here and imo the surface pro 2 is better in every possible way. Wacom is way overcharging over what those Cintiq companions are really worth.

Well, the Cintiq does have the size advantage, but I agree that they`re overpriced. What Wacom need is a competitor...

Old 12 December 2013   #29
So I bought the 128gig Surface 2 Pro (4gig ram).
I had a budget of 1k and thought this would be a nice tablet for general use.

My thoughts:

Overall runs well, As I'm typing this I have my 27" Dell hooked up to it, external keyboard and intous5 Tablet. This is in "workstation mode".

In "portable mode" I'm finding the included pen a bit cheap or maybe they should have just supplied a standard Wacom pen - Currently looking for alternative.
There are problems with the edges and corners of the screen not working correctly with the pen (accuracy drops a crap-ton).

So far tried Sketchbook Pro, ArtRage and just installing Creative Cloud so will see how Photoshop goes. Honestly the painting part is fine, but the non-tablet interfaces are what brings this otherwise sweet tablet down. That doesn't mean it wont get better, its just not as straight forward as the Apple products IMHO.

I decided against the iPads because I'm not happy with them being a creativity device. For reading/browsing/games, sure... but I've wanted a Cintiq since forever and the Surface 2 Pro is the near answer to my prayers.

Going to also try Zbrush, just have to deactivate it on my workstation.

Anyway... good times for technology! finally we have a good tool for artists that doesn't cost more than we can ever afford (Especially in this current work climate).

Any questions I'm happy to test

Old 12 December 2013   #30
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: Tell me how the touch-surface part of this setup equals keystroke combinations, hotkeys, Alt (for 3D nav in Maya, for example), Ctrl, Shift, or anything key-related at all. Touch and mouse are equated, with the right hand. Keypad and keyboard are equated, on the left. The G13 is simply much more programmable and ergonomic than the main keyboard.

This works well with Wacoms and with touch-screens. If you don't like the suggestion, simply don't buy one. But if you can't understand the difference between a keyboard and a mouse, then perhaps you're in the wrong field.

if software developers would catch up to the touch-surface world, you wouldn't have to lug that thing around for magic key combo support... it just wouldn't be required. think out of the box a bit.

reply share thread