Old 09-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
mental
Deadly Avenger

NYC Metronome, USA

Microsoft Surface Pro 2

Microsoft officially announced the Surface Pro 2 today:
Quote:

• Intel Haswell Core i5 ULV
  • 10.6" 1920x1080 display with "42% Improved Color Accuracy" over the original Surface Pro.
  • Wacom Pen Input (Not sure what improvements have been made over the original Surface Pro).
  • 4GB of RAM w/ 64GB SSD ($899) or 128GB SSD ($999) | 8GB of RAM w / 256 SSD ($1299) or 512GB SSD ($1799).
  • New selection of covers: Type Cover 2 (Backlit, Physical Keys w/ 'improved travel'), Touch Cover 2 (Backlit, Touch Keys w/ 1092 touch sensors, the original had only 80 sensors) and The Power Cover which extends the total on battery life to ~9 hours.
  • Optional Desktop Docking Station which features 1 Mini DisplayPort (not sure what version), 1 Gigabit Ethernet Port, 1 USB 3.0 port, 3 USB 2.0 ports and Audio I/O ports.
  • Pre-orders start tomorrow (Sept 24th) and will ship on October 22nd
Looks like a great piece of hardware for those who aren't looking for a full workstation replacement but need high portability, great battery life, Wacom input, the ability to run full Windows applications and a healthy 8GB of RAM.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Hopefully that will put to rest Wacom's insultingly priced and specced offer
I had high hopes for the price/performance of the SPro2, seems what I expected and hoped for.

Likely going to buy one at some point.
And the link:
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/pre-order

Free Maya Nodes

Old 09-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

This does look enticing, but I am wondering about the drawing setup. I've always used a Wacom or Cintiq with a keyboard positioned to the left or below the desk for hotkeys. How does this work with the SP2? Is there a way to connect the keyboard to the display without having it placed right in front of it? Is it wireless even when snapped onto the monitor/tablet, or does removing it from the display disable it?

Old 09-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
mental
Deadly Avenger

NYC Metronome, USA

Under accessories, in the link ThE_JacO posted above you'll find an official wireless adapter for the Type Cover keyboard which allow you to position both the Surface Pro 2 and the keyboard independently and in any orientation you wish:
Quote:
Wireless Adapter for Typing Covers - $59.99

Connect any Surface Typing Cover to Surface using Bluetooth® wireless technology. Type emails from the couch while Surface is plugged into your TV, or work collaboratively in the conference room.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:57 AM   #5
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental
Under accessories, in the link ThE_JacO posted above you'll find an official wireless adapter for the Type Cover keyboard which allow you to position both the Surface Pro 2 and the keyboard independently and in any orientation you wish:

On top of that it's worth noting that these days Bluetooth is both reliable and fast enough that you can simply go out and buy a multidevice USB adapter and happily connect whatever the hell you want
Just plug in an external monitor set to clone, accept connections for keyboard and mouse, and you have your "workstation" by just sitting the tablet on the desk somewhere with one single cable plugged into it.

This is true of any tablet that has USB and bluetooth support though.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 09-24-2013, 01:45 AM   #6
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
They should have given you Steve Ballmer's number.

I'm sure he would have loved hearing your story about the wonderful experience you been having with Microsoft's products.

That said... somehow I do have a good feeling about this Surface Pro 2... It's not too hard to build an Eco-System between all your Win 8 devices if you think about it.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:54 AM   #7
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

here is a video of the presentation for anyone who would like to see it. they were editing 6k red footage on the surface 2 in the presentation.

http://betanews.com/2013/09/23/watc...ntent+Feed+-+BN

Old 09-24-2013, 03:32 AM   #8
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

Is it a lot better than surface 1? I heard 1 wasn't well recieved.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
mustique
Expert
copywriter

Which wacom driver were people using to make the pressure sensitivity work?
Is there any new info on the pen? How good was the first SurfacePro for doodling around in zbrush, given that the screen is tiny and the pen has no wrist rejection feature?

I googled/youtubed around but would be nice to have first hand views on this Qs.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
mental
Deadly Avenger

NYC Metronome, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustique
Which wacom driver were people using to make the pressure sensitivity work?
Is there any new info on the pen? How good was the first SurfacePro for doodling around in zbrush, given that the screen is tiny and the pen has no wrist rejection feature?

I believe the pen that comes with the Surface Pro has 'palm-blocking technology' as Microsoft puts it. It may have been the non-pro pen that came with the arm based Surface RT that lacked palm rejection.

If anyone has used ZBrush with the original Surface Pro, I would be interested to know as well.

The Surface Team had a Q&A dicussion on Reddit yesterday:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen..._of_surface_at/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question
Also, will there be any improvents to the Wacom tech on the touchscreens and what does the MS team think of people using Surface Pros for digital art?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfaceTeam
Thanks for the input. Per the touch and pen digitizer, Pro has been a favorite for people doing digital art, where they need an accurate pen with pressure. For photoshop you have to download the Wacom wintab drivers to get pressure (Wacom.com/feeldriver). FreshPaint is a really cool app for digital art and creation as well. One of the biggest things we have done to help improve the pen scenarios on both the pro and pro2 is minimize the parallax between the pen tip and the image on the screen. Pro and Pro2 have one of the shortest physical parallax of tablets and PCs. This puts the pen tip closer to the image and thus helps you draw more accurately. We took a multiprong approach for pen: low latency, low parallax, hover, pressure, and a unique calibration... the combination gives artists a great pen for art and other pen scenarios.. this continues.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:36 AM   #11
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panupat
Is it a lot better than surface 1? I heard 1 wasn't well recieved.

The RT wasn't on account of a number of things, including relatively poor battery life for a tablet format and a storage hog win8 that left little available on the lower storage models.
The Pro version was constantly sold out flat and pre-ordered for weeks despite Wacom holding proper drivers for the longest time, it was very well reviewed, and received another boost when finally proper drivers with across-the-board pressure sensitivity came out.

The Pro2 builds on that with Haswell CPU (better battery life)., lower entry price for something that was already cheap, win 8.1 taking away some suck (finally multiwindowing even in metro), more storage options, and generally beefier specs.

MS failed, and might fail again, at the tablet market with win8 on an RT platform. The super slim laptop market the Pro faced was actually a success, and the fact they moved the Pro2 release to a lot sooner than expected instead of leaving a long gap between that and an earlier RT release shows they realize they still have a poor tablet, but an excellent pressure sensitive laptop.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 09-25-2013, 02:27 AM   #12
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Everyone I support with a Surface Pro loves it. That's about 12 people. I don't know anyone with an RT version.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 09-25-2013, 02:28 AM   #13
mantragora
Old Member

portfolio
To be, or not to be, TD ?
mantragora
hell, Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental
If anyone has used ZBrush with the original Surface Pro, I would be interested to know as well.

Check polycount forum. There is a Surface Pro topic there with guys who use Zbrush.

EDIT: I think it's here

magic happens here... sometimes
go nodeway

Old 09-25-2013, 04:30 AM   #14
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

I trialed a surface pro 1 last week and LOVED it. It is way better than Wacom's overpriced cintiq companion. Had no trouble using zbrush, photoshop and sketchbook pro with it. It is great for sketching on the go.

I will definitely pick up the 256gb one with 8gb ram. It should run zbrush just fine. Just get one of the logitech game board things and put it next to you when zbrushing:

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-ca/pr...anced-gameboard

Old 09-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #15
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

Quote:
I will definitely pick up the 256gb one with 8gb ram. It should run zbrush just fine. Just get one of the logitech game board things and put it next to you when zbrushing:

after watching the presentation i think i might get that version myself. A good sized sd card will come in handy for some extra storage. i am glad the presenter made mention that they are already working on the next generation of the surface because i will never forget what they did to the zune.

reply share thread