Professional vs Gaming card

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #1
Professional vs Gaming card

Short version:
I've heard that quadro's are the way to go for workstations
Is a Quadro K610M still better for workstations than a GeForce GTX 770M whose specs seem to be 3x better?

Long version:
Hi,
I'm starting college this year and I'm figuring out wat kind of laptop to get, I'm going to study Game Design.
I could buy a HP Elitebook (new unreleased model) from the school which has a Nvidia Quadro K610M, 1GB GDDR5
OR
I could get a MSI which has a Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M, 3GB GDDR5
they're both about the same price, the HP would be more expensive with the quadro but the school gets a nice discount.

So, i've heard people say that Quadro's are the way to go for graphic workstations.
However the specs for the GeForce seem way better.
The GeForce has 3x the memory,
960 cores compared to 192
and 192 Bit bandwidth compared to 64 Bit

I know the specs don't tell the whole story, but could the Quadro really beat the GeForce?
I'm only looking for a card that can handle things like 3DsMax, Photoshop and other graphics software, I'm don't need a card that has good gaming performance.

Thanks, for taking the effort to read my question and hopefully to answer it,
Greetings,
Digital-Joe

Old 09 September 2013   #2
Sorry for the quick brash answer. but if you got the money and don't play games. go pro.

Old 09 September 2013   #3
Geforce would be my choice for working with game engine, naturally.

Old 09 September 2013   #4
Actully I have a question quite similar to Digital-Joe. I'm considering a GTX 760 and a Quadro K2000.

I really want to have a great viewport performance in 3dsmax viewport for handling high polys objects since i dont want the frames drop too soon while modeling or creating animations.

Will the K2000 outperform the GTX 760 in term of viewport perf ? If not too much, i would buy a GTX 760 which $195 cheaper compares to the K2000 in my country.

Old 09 September 2013   #5
Joe + Eco, the numbers tell you everything you need to know. If you're given a machine with a quadro then great, if someone offers to buy one for you, sure, but when youre spending your own money its damn near impossible to really justify the higher price and lower specs. Most people who end up buying quadros for personal use are largely falling for the marketing material and would have been far better served with a cheaper, faster GF card.

Old 09 September 2013   #6
I just saw this benchmark article:
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...celeration-166/

It seems that for viewport performance alone, it is better to go with a FirePro card. They
say its mostly because of specific driver optimizations.

Old 10 October 2013   #7
Yes, in many applications, there can be a substantial performance benefit from going with pro cards and their OpenGL/performance-tuned drivers.

In many cases, these pure performance gains can add up to real productivity benefits.

Or go cheap, buy a gaming card.. There are always trade-offs in life, eh?

Old 10 October 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread