Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
cynnex

portfolio
Australia

Computer Build for 3D

Hi all,

I'm looking to get myself a new computer, upgrading from an old Mac. I'm currently studying 3D and will be moving into game art & design next year. I was wondering if I could get some input on the parts that I've chosen.

The primary use would be to run Maya, Zbrush, Mudbox, UDK and Photoshop with maybe a bit of gaming on the side.

My budget is around $2500 but I'm willing to give it a bit of leeway if it's worth it. I hear good things about the gtx780 but I'm wondering if it's worth spending an extra $300 should I downgrade it to a 4gb770 and add another hard drive/memory instead? Also, is there any benefit to getting a k series cpu if i'm not going to be doing any overclocking?

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/cynnex/saved/2mIb

cpu: intel i7- 4770k
motherboard: msi z87-gd65
memory: g.skill ripjaw x 16gb
storage: 128 samsung pro ssd
: wd 1TB black caviar
case: thermaltake armor revo
power supply: thermaltake 750w tough power gold
monitor: asus pa248Q

i'm looking at getting it either end of this/next month but would love to hear from you guys first before i make any final decisions.

cheers

Old 09-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #2
ChrisCorr
Veteran

Christian Correia
Freelancer
Santa Cruz, Portugal

Hi there,

Ok so if you're not going to do any OC, you have a few illogical component choices there. First off you wouldn't need a K series CPU, the only reason to get these is for overclocking. Secondly you wouldn't need a water cooling unit typically used for overclocking, a decent air cooler would do just fine to keep things cool and quiet. So I think you can get the non-K version of that CPU and go without the water cooling.

Why are you going with a 770 with 4GB? If you only do maybe a bit of gaming on the side, that's complete overkill, especially that amount of RAM is not being used in any game. http://alienbabeltech.com/main/gtx-...s-2gb-tested/3/ Across every single benchmark at any resolution, the difference between the two never goes above 2-3% and is many times 0%. So then, I would say go with the 2GB version and don't throw that money out the window.

As for the case it's mostly personal preference, I don't like that one. It's too expensive and quite ugly. I don't look at my computers so I go with minimalist designs that can fit my hardware.

Finally, I don't get why that monitor costs 500$ in Australia. Or maybe it's Australian dollars? Anyway I picked another one because it's not nearly good enough to warrant that price tag. There are a lot of options and it takes a while to find a good one, but 500$ for that monitor makes no sense.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/1DbwH

Old 09-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread