Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
olson
Houdini|Python|Linux
portfolio
Luke Olson
Dallas, USA

Old Mac Pro and Mountain Lion

I'm using a "Mid 2010" Mac Pro workstation at work and just did a clean install of OS X 10.8.4 (Mountain Lion) and was previously using OS X 10.6.8 which didn't support Adobe CC (reason for the upgrade). The first thing I installed was After Effects CS5 and shortly there after discovered the viewport doesn't work. I just get garbled crap and can't RAM preview anything. I figured, okay, maybe CS5 doesn't work because it's older software so I installed After Effects CC since it's the current version and should work. The exact same result.

That makes me wonder about the graphics card, did Apple stop supporting the Radeon 5770 or half-ass support it? The operating system is completely up to date, all of the Adobe applications are completely up to date, there's nowhere else to get a graphics driver, so I'm not really sure what to do. Anyone else running an older Mac Pro on Mountain Lion, does After Effects work for you?

Old 08-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

that's pretty odd - that should be an officially supported configuration and that video card's not too old or obscure to get support from Apple but maybe AE CS5 is too old for that video card. But there is a knowledgebase article here that seems to cover it:

http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effect...ffects-cs4.html

Old 08-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
olson
Houdini|Python|Linux
portfolio
Luke Olson
Dallas, USA

I figured out the issue and I was going in the completely wrong direction. All of the renders were in a directory without read permission. I figured it was a display driver issue or something like that because the viewports were broken for every project I tried. It would've been helpful if After Effects had a warning saying it couldn't read some files instead of just shitting the bed.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:04 AM   #4
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

what an odd problem to be caused by permissions.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
olson
Houdini|Python|Linux
portfolio
Luke Olson
Dallas, USA

Yeah, no joke. That's why it took me half a day to figure it out. I don't think it's that way with all files in After Effects, but I can assure you the EXR plugin they use has this issue.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread