Help Please - Vray RT, quadro and gtx on same computer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
Help Please - Vray RT, quadro and gtx on same computer

Is it possible to have two gpu cards on the same computer? (quadro and gtx)
I want a quadro to work (viewport) and the gtx to do vray RT render.

can i have a quadro k4000 and a nvidia titan on the same computer?
is there any issues?
Can i config vray RT to use just the nvidia titan card?

Is it best to chose quadro K4000 and Titan, or just chose quadro K5000 for the same price?

Old 08 August 2013   #2
Mixing quadro and GTX is possible in a non-SLI configuration, but not recommended because usually the drivers will, occasionally, crap themselves.
As for whether it's possibly to set VRay RT to be affine with a specific videocard you would have to ask the VRay guys.

This is more of a VRay question than it is hardware based, just get in touch with Chaos Group or post on their forums, they are a reputably helpful bunch.

Old 08 August 2013   #3
Go for Titan ONLY, as the Quadro does not make any sense, more, for th MAX viewport shading, poly, etc...why?
Simple, nVidia and Autodesk do not make MAXtreme drivers, anymore, since MAX 2011, so basically, GF and Quadro cards work the same, with really really minor diference of 5-10%, which does not worth of it, at all!
Best R!

Old 08 August 2013   #4
there are some examples

A titan its must worse than a quadro on viewport work (i work with scenes with many polys)
There are some benchmark for viewport (viewperf 11) where you can see the difference.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...rd,3493-12.html
http://www.renderosity.com/nvidias-...eview-cms-16548

the only thing Titan its better its when using CUDA..(thats useful for vray RT)

the ideal solution was to use two diferent GPU,
- one its the primary (quadro) (i connect the monitor there)
- the second (titan) will be used just to help render the scenes on VRAY RT.

i know i could do this using a second computer, what im asking its if i can use on the same computer...

There is some benchmark using diferent GPU, but they all use the same drive (gtx or quadro)
http://www.spot3d.com/vray/images/gpu_chart2.png

I cant find anyone with a quadro and a gtx together on the same computer
(gtx and quadro driver instaled together)

Will this work?? will vray RT work using both cards, or just one??

Old 08 August 2013   #5
@Eduardo

SPECViewperf is synthetic OPENGL bm, and MAX is on NITROUS driver, and that makes hugeeee difference!

Best R!

Old 08 August 2013   #6
@okmijun

thanks okmijun

is there any benchmark for 3d max viewport (using nitrous and openGL), between a quadro k4000 and a titan? or a K5000 and SLI 2Xtitan

there is alot of different opinion of whats the best to work (viewport only, no vray RT)...
but no facts or benchmark values.

So im stuck..and still cant decide whats the best choice to work on 3d max

Old 08 August 2013   #7
SLI Titans will do absolutely nothing for viewport performance. SLI anything in fact does nothing for practically any DCC app you can care to name with some very rare GPU rendering engines making exception.

The K4000 is a dog, a Titan will run circles around it in most applications, but you seem to have made your mind up on artificial benchmarks and reviews made on old drivers by websites employing journalists with not the faintest idea about DCC apps (TH is one of the greatest jokes ever inflicted on humankind).

Mixing GTX and Quadro cards almost always ends in tears, go ahead and do it at your own risk if you wish, but make sure you can return either card if you do and things go wrong.
It's theoretically possible, and with some driver combinations it works, but more often than not it won't and you frequently get stuck with a non-ideal driver for either.

Buy a Titan if you need double precision anywhere, or if you need the 6GB of ram, or a 780 if you don't need DP and are happy with 3GB, see how it does, and if it can't cope with the load then buy a k4k or a k5k (making sure you CAN return it on buyer's regret for no loss) and see if that improves the situation. Done.
Chances are you will find out getting both to work will be annoying, if possible at all, and that a k4k will make little or no difference with Nitrous, or some times even perform well below a Titan, especially if abundant amounts of VRAM come into play.

Last edited by ThE_JacO : 08 August 2013 at 03:38 AM.

Old 08 August 2013   #8
@Eduardo

Hardly, from my view of point, GTX780 fits perfectly, for 99% of users, for 99% of work scenarios.
Also, when your poligons go to high, it is always a must to have a good scene optimization, like working with layers, selection sets, gropus, attached objects, etc....

Old 08 August 2013   #9
I also wanted to mix quadro and geforce cards on my workstation a few months ago and did extensive research on the subject for weeks. My conclusion is simple : don't do it. If you're only using 3ds max install two geforce cards : titan assigned to VRAYRT and a cheaper one for the viewport.

FYI mixing quadro and geforce CAN work but it's not as easy as installing the cards and running your workstation. These use different drivers. So you first have to install each driver separately with only the relevant card installed in the machine before you can install both. This may be facilitated if you have a high end mobo that allows to deactivate a pci-e slot by a switch. But even if you get your cards to work properly this setup is of course not supported by nvidia. So whatever problems you encounter you won't find help anywhere.

Old 08 August 2013   #10
quadro gtx

i have an old quadro FX 3800, and i just tried this test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxofYZ4umCg

And with 200.000.000 polys, the viewport performance its almost the same has the gtx690

So i doubt that the viewport performance on a titan its better than a K5000..,,but again im just speculating.

Sure 3d max is nitrous, but a quadro driver is better adapted to the 3d max nitrous than for a game.,,but again im just speculating.

its just feelings and suppositions...because everyone talks about this subject (quadro vs gtx) but no one has facts or benchmarks or something more than "an opinion" created by reading opinions.

Im between a K5000 (that im buyng from a friend) for the same price, and a titan.

So is there anyone with a Titan and a K5000 around here??? i need facts and values :/

There is another important factor, i use Autocad, Adobe, and i have a dell IPS monitor (srgb 100%)

Old 08 August 2013   #11
It's rather insulting you assume everybody is going by opinions formed on others' opinions.

Personally I've been using GTX cards virtually (and some times literally) side by side with their quadro counterpart for nearly every generation for over a decade, in doing work and benching at home and work both. Working for studios and software companies both.

If you need facts and values tailored to your usage go and buy both, bench them, and return the one that you don't deem fit.

People here offer their time and advice for free, you are free to take it or leave it, but I would advise you don't assume so much about who does what.
Not all of us are teenagers' in their mom's basement, some of us have worked in studios and at home at a sufficient level and with enough expensive toys to form a better idea about hardware in real world scenarios than some post-pubescent reviewer on Tom's HW running synthetic benchmarks. Believe it or not.

As for spinning around 200 million polygons, what do you actually and honestly think that serves to test? Figure out the sheer memory footprint for that, and then you might start getting an inkling of an idea about why MOST videocards will level out at one of two ends with something like that.

Old 08 August 2013   #12
That 'test' on YouTube you know it's a joke right? Did you ever have a job where you simply had to instance spheres? I can't believe anyone can consider that as a benchmark in 2013. That simply doesn't reflect an actual working session.

If you want to judge the performance of a video card test it with your own projects, preferably the heaviest and most complex ones.

Old 08 August 2013   #13
Originally Posted by edgy_k: ...If you're only using 3ds max install two geforce cards : titan assigned to VRAYRT and a cheaper one for the viewport...

Eh? VrayRT (gpu) will use every gpu available anyway (no SLI needed), so I'd definitely put the fastest gpu on viewport duties.

Old 08 August 2013   #14
Yes VRAYRT uses all gpus by default. But you can manually force it to use only those you specify. If you have more than one gpu installed it's an excellent idea to assign one solely for viewport display if you want to keep working smoothly while rendering.

Old 08 August 2013   #15
Originally Posted by xtzman: i have an old quadro FX 3800, and i just tried this test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxofYZ4umCg

And with 200.000.000 polys, the viewport performance its almost the same has the gtx690

So i doubt that the viewport performance on a titan its better than a K5000..,,but again im just speculating.

Sure 3d max is nitrous, but a quadro driver is better adapted to the 3d max nitrous than for a game.,,but again im just speculating.

its just feelings and suppositions...because everyone talks about this subject (quadro vs gtx) but no one has facts or benchmarks or something more than "an opinion" created by reading opinions.

Im between a K5000 (that im buyng from a friend) for the same price, and a titan.

So is there anyone with a Titan and a K5000 around here??? i need facts and values :/

There is another important factor, i use Autocad, Adobe, and i have a dell IPS monitor (srgb 100%)

GTX 690 is a waste, it's a dual GPU card which means it's basically two cards put together, the system uses it like it's an SLI setup which means 3ds Max can only take advantage of one of the GPU's for the viewport. A GTX 680 will be faster, or a GTX 770

Thread Closed share thread