server help ! please

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
server help ! please

Hi ...
a BIG question:
" can 3d max (+ vray) run multiple instances on a windows server for different users on a small network? i whant to be able to work on a "super" server hardware at the same time from diffrent (older) computers on different scenes

thanks!

Old 08 August 2013   #2
Hm, you have alive access from desktop PCs to server PC?
Server, can run multiply instances of MAX, that is not problem. but for that you should have some really beast of the graphics, GTX680/ 780... I am not shore you will any use of SLI setup.
Can you use trial and error way of work?

Old 08 August 2013   #3
just search around for RemoteFX, Hyper-V, and/or Citrix XenApp... I looked into this a long time ago and it seems they've made no progress to use RemoteFX.. so for licensing you may be limited to XenApp.

I can understand your desire to save costs on individual workstations and wanting to throw a big server in to fix everything, but I honestly doubt that in the short (and probably long term), this will not solve any issues. (especially if you think it will save licensing costs, because it won't).

Old 08 August 2013   #4
There's been some progress for virtualized graphics acceleration lately like the AMD FirePro S10000 but I agree basically with what has been said. It probably won't solve anything or if it does it will bring other problems with it.

Old 08 August 2013   #5
Thanks to all !
i got little knowlege about networks and a friend asked me to help him whit this ideea for his arch studio. about 4-5 coputers will be conected to this "server" and hi is willing to spend on hardware about 5-6.000 euro. the main ideea is to cut max and vray costs (for 4-5 machines )
he wants to instal max only on 1 machine ( allthough 4 vitual OS) = 1 license, and run it from the others computers that he has. (is this possible? ) he/ they wont be doing any daily rendering/modeling .... on all machines

Do you have any other suggestions?

Old 08 August 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread