Graphics card for both gaming and 3d applications

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #1
Graphics card for both gaming and 3d applications

Hi,

I currently have a ati HD 4870 which works pretty well with everything I throw at it on Max and other various 3d software. Anyway's, the gpu's fan is on its way out and I feel like upgrading the rest of my rig anyhow. I'm a gamer as well as a 3d design/animation student (actually i'm an architect student, but we get to do all that to ) so I want a gpu which handles 3d applications and both gaming well but which is a noticeable upgrade from my 4870.

I understand on a basic level the difference between say Quadro's and gtx's, one being for more precision in 3d apps and the latter for fps in games, however I am a student and do not want to pay 500 for a gpu, my budget is around 200, so i figured some of you guys in here must also use gaming cards with good capability.

Or maybe there are some work arounds like changing the driver on gaming cards to make them more proficient in 3d apps?

any help and recommendations are appreciated thanks

p.s. I have googled this, but I have only found older posts, I am curious about the latest cards as well.

Old 07 July 2013   #2
For 200 if you want something new, go for a geforce 660. If you dont mind waiting for a bargain I would personally try getting a 680 on ebay, they can go for about 200 or so.

Old 07 July 2013   #3
Thanks! Yea i see the 680 has a much better benchmark than the 660

Old 07 July 2013   #4
Originally Posted by xEightySix: Thanks! Yea i see the 680 has a much better benchmark than the 660

There is a VERY big gap between cards like the 660 and the 670, still a big enough gap between the 660ti and the 670, but not such a huge gap between the 670 and the 680.

OC 670s with lots of ram are excellent value for money, they are very close to a 680 but usually go for less.
The gap shrinks when you go second hand, so you can consider stretching to a 680 if you buy second hand like Mash suggests (personally I find it good advice), or if you find a particularly good deal on a used 670 you can buy that as well confident it's a strong card.

The 660 is a long gap behind, the 660ti does better, but still has a fair bit of a gap. I wouldn't consider them particularly good value for money to be honest, and will even struggle with some games at 1080p with mid/high settings.

Old 07 July 2013   #5
Cool thanks .

Does having more ram in the gpu actually actually help, (is a 4gb 680 going to benefit over a 1gb?)

I heard 1gb is all you need unless your planning on going higher than 1080p? which I don't as my 32" samsung only supports up to 1080p

Old 07 July 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread