Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 07-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
Umyd
portfolio
Netherlands

Question Configuring laptop for Photoshop and After Effects

Hi folks,

I'm planning to purchase a laptop specially for working with Photoshop, AE, and some gaming.
(I'm not very experienced, so please forgive some simple questions)

Here is my configuration (numbered to make it easy to comment) and some questions:

1- Intel Core i7-4700MQ (2.4GHz, quad core, 6mb cache, turbo mode 3.4GHz, 47W)

2- NVIDIA Geforce GTX 770m

3- RAM 4x8 32GB DDR3-1600MHz

4- 256gb ssd Samsung 840 PRO

5- 1TB + 8GB SSD, 64mb cache (so this 1tb hdd is supposed to have ssd speed. I chose it for storing my 150+gb video projects and my movies. speaking of storage, is it advised to have a ssd for the OS and software, and a fast and larger hdd to store the videos/the project so that the software can access it quickly? It's not advised to have both the software and the project vids on the same hdd. Is this correct?)

6- What shall I do with the msata slots? Are they the same as the usual SSDs but just smaller?

7- Which screen shall I choose: some say go for "17.3 inch Full HD Non-Glare - 72% Gamut (AUO B173HW01 V4)" and some say "17.3 inch Full HD Glare - 90% Gamut (AUO B173HW01 V5)".

8- Wireless / Bluetooth: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 dual band AGN (2.4/5GHz), 300mbps + bluetooth 4.0 (wireless display)

9- Do you think by now win8 is developed enough? Or shall I go for win7?

The link is below in case I've left something out. It's a Dutch website but the names of the parts are the same:
http://www.bto.eu/html/configureer....tID=619&lang=nl

Greetings,

Umed

Old 07-22-2013, 03:22 AM   #2
earwax69
Ctrl+Altl+Chicken

portfolio
Thierry Fortier
Montreal/Osaka, Japan

If you really want to create on a laptop, get an external monitor for when you are home. Working on a laptop screen is simply aweful. You'll get back/neck pain pretty soon.

The specs look fine to me. Quite excellent in fact.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
CKPinson
Expert

portfolio
CK Pinson
Network ADMIN
Govt
West Palm Beach, USA

Send a message via MSN to CKPinson
It will not be that mobile so as long as your considering this for a desktop replacement. With that screen 17" and GPU I would imagine the battery dying quickly and the CPU could be a lot better in an actual desktop- i made the mistake of going this route and was lucky enough to be able to sell mine for a small profit- I now have a cheaper tablet pc for some on the go sketching and a desktop for heavier use- can't be a standalone monitor.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
Umyd
portfolio
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwax69
If you really want to create on a laptop, get an external monitor for when you are home. Working on a laptop screen is simply aweful. You'll get back/neck pain pretty soon.

The specs look fine to me. Quite excellent in fact.

Thanks for the idea

Old 07-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
Umyd
portfolio
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKPinson
It will not be that mobile so as long as your considering this for a desktop replacement. With that screen 17" and GPU I would imagine the battery dying quickly and the CPU could be a lot better in an actual desktop- i made the mistake of going this route and was lucky enough to be able to sell mine for a small profit- I now have a cheaper tablet pc for some on the go sketching and a desktop for heavier use- can't be a standalone monitor.

Thanks for your reply.
I'm working 4 days the week in the Hague and I live in the farthest corner of the countr . I need a workstation that can be with me both parts of the week with me. I'm just not in the position to do a desktop at the momen.
Any ideas on the screen options guys?

Old 07-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread