Old 07-14-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
MisterS
seeking knowledge

portfolio
David Spittle
Civil Design Drafter
Brisbane, Australia

Good solid keyboard

I recently bought a wireless microsoft keyboard for around $50 - turned out to be a big waste of money. It skips keys and it has the potential to be broken into multiple pieces.

Has anyone got a tried and test decent full sized wired keyboard? I broke my buy it once rule.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
tuna
|||||||||||||||||||||||||

Thomas Cannell
String puller
Venice, USA

You can easily spend up to $200 on a keyboard nowadays. Are there any sort of traits you like specifically? There are so many types, and if you're tapping it thousands of times a day, you might as well get something that's right for you. The other alternative is that everyone here might just post that one Dell keyboard from the mid 2000's, which is boring

Old 07-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
MisterS
seeking knowledge

portfolio
David Spittle
Civil Design Drafter
Brisbane, Australia

I scrimpt on the last one but now I want something decent - maybe with a nightrider strip called kit.

Actually I saw a video reviewing corsair k70 & K90 keyboards. I like that you can program which buttons are illuminated as I'm always hitting f9 instead of f10 in my dimly lit office. Plus on the K90 you have a load of extra programmable buttons which would be very handy. These are clearly gaming boards though and Corsair can be a bit pricey - though decent.

If anyone can suggest some alternatives that are tried and test - illumination isn't essential but wired is. And I'll keep the trusty dell in mind.

Always used for 3d.

Thanks or the reply.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

I have an MS Natural 4000 (split) and it's lasted at least three years with no buttons failing, just the letters getting a little worn off. The one I had before that lasted 4 years

Old 07-15-2013, 04:40 AM   #5
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

i'ld recommend getting something with mechanical keys... I bought a Corsair K90 on sale for around 100$, yeah it's a gaming board, but the side keys are programmable and the primary data entry are mechanical. been working great.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
evanfotis
Esse quam videri

portfolio
Evan Fotis, Georgoulakis
Athens, Greece

Have been using the ms sidewinder X6 for about 4 years, had got it ridiculously cheap, nowhere near current prices go. Very happy, can't live without the back-light, love the detachable numeric pad, and macro keys.
Just a little noisy when typing.
The X4 seems just as good and more compact.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

that's the nice thing about gaming mice and keyboards: they are made to take a beating. I only buy gaming mice for that reason, but like I said, the MS Natural 4000 is very sturdy for a non-gaming kb

Old 07-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
olson
Houdini|Python|Linux
portfolio
Luke Olson
Dallas, USA

I looked at dozens of mechanical keyboards and finally settled on this one because it had the right mix of features (USB hub, backlight, removable cable) and good build quality. The macros are neat but were not a selling point for me, when I found out you can store them on the keyboard itself and you don't need the software installed (only to initially setup macros) I liked the feature a lot more.

http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/keyboards/Trigger/

Mine has Cherry MX Brown switches which I like a lot. I've also used the Cherry MX Blue switches but they are too loud if anyone will be anywhere near you. More on mechanical switches if you're going the route of a mechanical switch keyboard (which I'd recommend).

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/m...-keyboard-guide

Last edited by olson : 07-17-2013 at 05:16 PM.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #9
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by olson
I looked at dozens of mechanical keyboards and finally settled on this one because it had the right mix of features (USB hub, backlight, removable cable) and good build quality. The macros are neat but were not a selling point for me, when I found out you can store them on the keyboard itself and you don't need the software installed (only to initially setup macros) I liked the feature a lot more.

http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/keyboards/Trigger/

Mine has Cherry MX Brown switches which I like a lot. I've also used the Cherry MX Blue switches but they are too loud if anyone will be anywhere near you. More on mechanical switches if you're going the route of a mechanical switch keyboard (which I'd recommend).

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/m...-keyboard-guide

I have the CM Storm QuickFire (no usb hub, didn't care for that), tried the Corsairs and several grossly overpriced ergo mechanicals, and I concluded the same.
The CMS's have great key feedback, are made to take a severe beating and aren't priced as outrageously as some of the office targeted stuff that at the end of the day uses the same components.

That said, I still some times swap in my small footprint super sensitive logitech (one of those including a numpad but in a relatively reduced layout), as long sessions on strong feedback keyboards need some relax from occasionally.

They (all) are clickily noisy as hell though. I don't mind it, I grew up with keyboards like this around me in the 80s and 90s, but my girlfriend who had her desk behind me hated every moment of it being on my desk if I was writing e-mails or programming (very respectable touch type rates even on highly symbolic).

Free Maya Nodes

Old 07-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
MisterS
seeking knowledge

portfolio
David Spittle
Civil Design Drafter
Brisbane, Australia

Sorry for the delayed response - those coolermasters look pretty good and I can get locally. I'll have a go on a few and see what feels right.

I like corsair just cause their components have always done me well - but i agree they're pricey. They make some sick looking cases

Old 07-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread