Need opinion in building Render Rig with limited budget

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #1
Smile Need opinion in building Render Rig with limited budget

Hi guys.

I'm new to this community, i myself is kinda new in this industry too~
I'm from Malaysia, and the option available for me to pick is VERY LIMITED in our country (I'm so envy that you guys can easily get the parts needed in the states )

anyhow, a good friend of mine ask me to help out in building right gear for his Render jobs. He normally do all his work on his workstation and now he need a Render machine with a budget MAX at RM12000 (Which means around $ 3.7K)

So, after checking out the available choice locally, i narrow down the spec:

Option 1: (1 unit)
XEON E5-2650 X 2
INTEL S2600CP2 MOTHERBOARD
Crucial 64GB 1333MHz ECC MEMORY (8G X 8)
1TB WESTERN DIGITAL BLACK
LIANLI PC71B+
SEASONIC G550 PSU

Option 2: (6 Units Cluster computing)
XEON 1230V3
ASROCK Z87 PRO 3
Sapphire HD5450 Display Card
Crucial 16GB 1600MHz Value(8G x 2)
500G Western Digital Blue
Cooler Master Chassis
ANTEC 400Watt

Which option above do you think will be a better option for such scenario? Oh ya, forgot to mention, he'll be running pure 3DSmax with Vray. Thank you

Old 07 July 2013   #2
Neither, the 2650 is actually a really poor rendering CPU and horrible bang for buck, the 1230 is easily outclassed by i5Ks and i7s of the same price.

For the two grands+ in CPUs alone that dual 2650 would cost you you could set up multiple i7 ivy bridge boxes each of which would most likely be almost on par or even on par.

If it's an additional box and doesn't need to be racked up I'd simply consider builing a couple small footprint ivy bridge or haswell setups for that money.
Do you need those setups to be racked up? Or are they going to be fit in a normal case? You can save a fair chunk of money if you don't need racking, and skip Xeons entirely.

Old 07 July 2013   #3
option 2 would be drastically better than option 1

Old 07 July 2013   #4
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: Neither, the 2650 is actually a really poor rendering CPU and horrible bang for buck, the 1230 is easily outclassed by i5Ks and i7s of the same price.

For the two grands+ in CPUs alone that dual 2650 would cost you you could set up multiple i7 ivy bridge boxes each of which would most likely be almost on par or even on par.

If it's an additional box and doesn't need to be racked up I'd simply consider builing a couple small footprint ivy bridge or haswell setups for that money.
Do you need those setups to be racked up? Or are they going to be fit in a normal case? You can save a fair chunk of money if you don't need racking, and skip Xeons entirely.

at the time being these two are the best option i have here.
Or could you suggest me what would be a better option?

thanks

Old 07 July 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread