Pc Build and lots of doubts, in need of adv. advice

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Question Pc Build and lots of doubts, in need of adv. advice

Hello you all, thank you for your attention.

Im helping a friend to build his workstation and i had one idea in my mind but i started to look in the foruns and got all confused. He´s planning this machine for rendering and fast viewport.

Here is the spec i tought:

MB - ASUS P9X79-E
PROC - Intel Core i7-3930K or Intel Core i7-3970X
PROC fan - Noctua NH-D14
Video - NVIDIA TESLA K20
Memo - 64GB(8x8GB) Gskill RipjawX @ 1866
SSD - Kingston HyperX 3K 480GB
HDD - Seagate Constellation ES 1TB
Media - Asus BR Burner
Power - Corsair HX 850

Now to the doubts...

Processor and MB
In the relation cost x benefit, is it worth to buy the i7-3930K or i7-3970X ??
Or is it better to start with the Intel Core i7-4770K ?
Im confused with Sandy or Haswell wich one is better for the moment?
Then which motherboard anyone would recommend? Because the socket changes.
For a computer like this is it worth it a I7 or Xeon?

Video
Tesla k20 or Quadro 6000?
Is the Quadro k5000 already fine? Or a GTX Titan will do the job comparing with the k5000?

Power
Is the Corsair HX850 enough for the first setup?

Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Thank you very much in advance!

Old 06 June 2013   #2
the ripjaw memory won't work with the noctua cooler. The heatfins are too tall. You'd have to use a hairdryer to heat them up and remove the heatfins or saw the tops off - voids warranty. You're better off getting low profile memory or memory that has a removable heatfin extension to reduce the height

the NVIDIA TESLA K20 isn't a standalone video card, it's a GPU processor. It doesn't have a video output.

K5000 or titan will depend on what programs you use. Titan is faster and newer, but not as optimized for certain software. Titan will not support native stereo 3D in apps, but k5000 will.

3930k is a better deal than 3970X. At stock speeds, the 3970X will be slightly faster. If you plan to do any overclocking, the 3970X is a waste of money since both chips can be pushed up to around the same max performance.

Xeon is only worth it if you need more than 64 gigs of memory, specifically need ECC memory, want the option for a 2nd CPU socket, and have 2-4x the money to spend on it over an i7.

Haswell is more cost efficient for most people, especially if you don't do much 3D rendering and mainly use single-threaded functions (most people do). For 4-core processors, haswell is absolutely better. If you can make use of a 6-core CPU, then it might be debatable and depend on your specific tasks

Corsair HX850 should be plenty of power

Last edited by sentry66 : 06 June 2013 at 03:08 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Hi sentry66! Thank you alot for all the info! Very clarifying specially about the xeon processors.

Do you think it is better to keep the noctua fan which i like it alot, and change the memos?

The programs used are 3dsmax, maya and zbrush manly. His going to use for render but not overclock so i guess the 3930k will do the job just fine!

About the videocard, the main goal is 3d work and rendering so if you had to choose, which one of these would you go? GTX TITAN, GTX 690, GTX 780, Quadro 6000 ?

thank you alot!

Old 06 June 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread