Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
Koetter
portfolio
Portugal

New graphic card

Howdy there

I've started working with blender since April this year and i've just fell in love with 3d artwork. What started as a hobby soon became an obsession. This september i might just aswell take some courses at 3ds max and zbrush to further develop my skills.

Anyway, my pc is mediocre and so is my bank account. Right now the most troubling thing is that its quite painfull to render anything with my cpu, and since i own a Radeon hd3800 i have no support for CUDA and GPU rendering softwares which would defently help in my learning process, since right now i feel limited in the scenes i can model because i know that in order to render and come up with something decent it will take a fairly amount of time.

So right now the most important thing is to update my graphic card, and once i have more money i'll probably upgrade some other stuff, but lets get to my question here already...

Which card to get, and also will my power supply and mainboard support it.

Right now i've got around 400 to spend, and i have come across two inetresting options,

An EVGA GeForce GTX 670 Superclocked+ 4 GB GDDR5 - PCI Express 3.0 x16 (04G-P4-2673-KR) which costs 413 or...

An EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Superclocked - 2 GB GDDR5 - PCI Express 3.0 (02G-P4-2682-KR) which costs around 440.

So the first one has more 2GB and is slightly cheaper. I went to gpuboss to try to compare them both, but the 4gd gtx 670 option isn't there, so im looking for your expersite on the matter.

Also, my power supply is a NX520 , which im assuming has the proper cable connexions for both cards right? (im literally an illiterate when it comes to these sort of things)

My mainboard is an ASUS M5A78L LE ASUS M5A78L LE
which according to CPU-Z, in the graphic interface has a link width of x16 and max. supported of x16, whatever that means.

I just want to make sure i don't get a graphic card that doesn't fit in my motherboard or isn't compatible, i've been through that situation once and i wanna make sure it doesn't happen again.

My other specs are as follows:
Windows 7
Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) X2 190 Processor (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

And i think thats all...

best regards
Koetter

Old 06-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread