ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

The plus is apparently just as good, just misses the wi-fi and has a slightly shoddier audio unit. Ethernet chipset might also be one notch down, but that would make bugger all difference.

If you care for neither consider it, might save you another 30 bucks. Read some reviews though and make sure it has the same TPU/EPU management and overclocking capabilities (which to my knowledge it should).

Free Maya Nodes

Old 06-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #17
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a
Birmingham, United Kingdom

I always find the best prices are online; any particular reason for looking to buy parts from a bricks and mortar store?

Old 06-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #18
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus
I always find the best prices are online; any particular reason for looking to buy parts from a bricks and mortar store?

There are a few spots where brick'n'mortar stores actually are on par or better than online, and therefore better if you want to browse, haggle or ever lay claim to a warranty without spending more in shipping and rolling the dice with RMAs and tests.

You also save shipping costs (which when free are simply offset somewhere else).

Even the few online shops that are truly competitive often have a store-front for order pick-ups and you end up ordering online only because they happen to be in another state.

Capitol Square in particularly is literally 30 shops crammed into a very small space owned by a dozen different small enterprises who fiercely compete with each other. You very rarely pay more than 1 or 2% more than you would online there, frequently I found things for less.

Honest online-only shops in Australia are few and far apart, most of them are very, very dodgy forelogging pre-pay, foreign owned front-ends where "in-stock" means you'll get it once they have twenty items ordered by different buyers and can place a bulk order with no storage/backlog risks.

This is very peculiar of Australia.
I lived in several different countries, and only here in Sydney I found such situation.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 06-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #19
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a
Birmingham, United Kingdom

I live in the UK where we have very few shops that sell a wide range of components, and those that sell components at all often have a horrendous mark-up. For me, online is the only choice. Luckily we have very consumer-friendly laws when it comes to online shopping, meaning for example you can return any product within a week, no questions asked. I do a lot of research before buying so fortunately returns of a faulty product are very rare.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #20
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Yeah. London was the polar opposite of Sydney for computer parts shopping.
Local Asian owned shops in the cbd here are frequently the best deal, with rare exceptions for a couple Queensland and Melbourne retailers that have online outlets.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 06-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #21
T0BER
Opinionated Cynic

Regan Curtis
3D animator
Sydney, Australia

Next question, will this Corsair TX850W Power Supply work with the ASUS Z87-PRO Motherboard and the ASUS GeForce GTX Titan 6GB?

And any recommendations on which type/brand of RAM to get?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #22
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

I run the lot (including titan, top end haswell and the z87) on a five years old Antec earth, 750W, and it's plenty.
You barely need 700 (and mostly due to the split rails so common) unless you start going triple SLI or other similar silliness.

Buy good brand/good line for the components, wattage doesn't need to be all that high.

For RAM 1866 seems to work best with ivy and still so with Haswell.

G.Skill has some pretty decent 1.5v 1866 modules for cheap that work really well and routinely time lower than they specs. G.Skill Ares have the lowest profile height wise, respectable clock and timing (both of which make so very little difference on Intel anyway) and they are relatively cheap here in Oz.
I bought mine from CPL.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 06-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #23
T0BER
Opinionated Cynic

Regan Curtis
3D animator
Sydney, Australia

Thanks again ThE_JacO! I think I have everything I need for Capitol Square.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #24
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread