Old 06-12-2013, 04:21 AM   #1
MisterS
seeking knowledge

portfolio
David Spittle
Civil Design Drafter
Brisbane, Australia

Monitor keeps changing to a blue hue until i move my window

So I have two 30inch monitors plugged into a GTX580 3GB card.

a Dell U3011 (working fine) and a Dell U3014. The screen on the latter keeps taking on a blue hue until I move a window that is visible on that monitor. I explained this to Dell and sent them a video - and after discussions they sent me another one, and the problem still occurs.

They're looking into it but I wondered if anyone has experienced this before?

Latest Nvidia drivers. I've tried different cables, cable types and video card ports.

Most noticeable problem within Flash player i.e. I can replicate the problem quickly. But I have noticed similar when browsing the net and using apps (but effect can be very subtle depending on the background colour).

Apart from the above - I tried disabling GPU acceleration using Flash online settings with no joy.

The odd thing is this only occurs on the U3014 model, and not the U3011.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:32 AM   #2
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

You already tried swapping cables and ports, primary status, and testing each one in isolation?

Free Maya Nodes

Old 06-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
olson
Houdini|Python|Linux
portfolio
Luke Olson
Dallas, USA

Hard to say what it might be without seeing the issues first person. I take it you've exhausted the process of elimination (tried another machine, cable, application, etc.) and if you haven't yet you should.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
MisterS
seeking knowledge

portfolio
David Spittle
Civil Design Drafter
Brisbane, Australia

So after some (non exhaustive) testing. I'm pretty sure that the problem only occurs using one computer as I couldn't see an issue with my monitors connected to another. The problem occurs on one monitor model regardless of whether it is primary, secondary, cable type, or the port that it's plugged into. Also occurs when it is the only one plugged in.

Other info:

A 'print screen' cannot see the colour change. Sometimes when you drag a window to get rid of the colour cast, a box (with this blue colour cast) remains where the window was until you let go of the mouse. But it is the whole screen that is affected until then.

Edit: flash doesn't appear to be the culprit - it is happening when viewing this forum.

Last edited by MisterS : 06-12-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Next step would be trying another videocard then, although it sounds like a pretty rare and cryptic issue.
If the ports you tried are DVI-D and HDMI, that's not much of a test as they usually share the same channels, if you have a displayport output that might be partially on different circuitry (at least the leads).

Free Maya Nodes

Old 06-17-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
MisterS
seeking knowledge

portfolio
David Spittle
Civil Design Drafter
Brisbane, Australia

Turns out that the replacement was a recon. Brand new one is on it's way as I had the two sat side by side on different computers showing the same fault. Fingers crossed.

And I appreciate the suggestions.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
carycg
portfolio
Cary Ng
Brooklyn, US

Same issue here

Did the new monitor solve your issues? Did you try turning off the "Smart Video Enhance" feature?

I have been having similar problems for about a month on a new Dell U2413, and even replaced a video card. A light blue and purple rectangle showed up on top of video content, on webpages, media player, and even when viewports were refreshing a lot. After turning off that feature I haven't seen that blue box in a while.

Last edited by carycg : 06-28-2013 at 07:06 PM.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
MisterS
seeking knowledge

portfolio
David Spittle
Civil Design Drafter
Brisbane, Australia

It wasn't until monitor number three arrived! The "smart Video Enhance" outsmarted myself and the Dell support team.

I finally figured this out a few days ago.

It wasted a lot of time trying to troubleshoot as it didn't always coincide with playing video and it affected the whole screen most of the time. Silly

On a positive note it was nice having three 30inchers set up for a while - one purely for reference.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread