Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-10-2013, 02:22 AM   #1
kelasa
Frequenter
portfolio
Christopher Rochette
San Francisco, USA

Question Questions about specs for my first computer

I need a new computer. I had been running out of space on my last one whilst working in Photoshop. I filled up the scratch disks often. I also want my 3d software (Maya,ZBrush etc.) to operate seamlessly.

I do not play games, but read a good review of a type of gaming computer that I'm thinking about adding to: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/...wer_Black_Pearl

I added the following and would like any advice or direction on putting together a machine that can handle my major Photshop files and allow massive files in softwares such as Maya, ZBrush, Arch GIS and AutoCAD to run smoothly. Also I'm not sure if I want overclocking ability?

Case: Azza Genesis 9000 Full Tower Gaming Case w/ 2 x 230mm fans, 4x Easy Swap HDD, Dual
Power Supply Support, & front USB 3.0 Port

Noise Reduction Technology: Sound Absorbing Foam on Side, Top And Bottom panels

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3930K Six-Core 3.20 GHz 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011

Overclocking: Extreme OC (Extreme Overclock 20% or more)

Cooling Fan: Asetek 570LX Liquid Cooling system w/ 240MM Radiator and Dual Fans (Extreme Overclocking
Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)

Motherboard: (SLI/CrossFireX Support) MSI X79A-GD45 Plus Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel

DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ Winki 3, OC Genie II, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 3 Gen3 PCIe X16 & 4 PCIe X1
Memory: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
ower Supply Upgrade: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply -

SLI/CrossFireX ReadyHard Drive: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
(Single Drive)

Optical Drive: LG 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive & DVDRW, 3D Playback Combo Drive

Thank you for your time.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
kelasa
Frequenter
portfolio
Christopher Rochette
San Francisco, USA

It would be nice to keep it below $3k if I can. I really want to be able to work on huge files in Photoshop without lag and to be able to create and work in huge files also in Maya, AutoCAD, Zbrush, Revit and Arch GIS as well. The ability to do this trumps the need for the lowest price.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
MisterS
seeking knowledge

portfolio
David Spittle
Civil Design Drafter
Brisbane, Australia

Can't offer too much advice but something that may seem trivial which I completely overlooked on my last case is how the side panels connect to the rest of the case. And this is based on the price point of your case.

Side panels that clip on like in the corsair 600t are much better IMO than the fiddly ones that slide on. It's hard to tell which this one has.

Trivial perhaps but I'm opening mine up quite a lot and I have to lean over a desk as some of the cables are a bit short to peripherals.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelasa
I need a new computer. I had been running out of space on my last one whilst working in Photoshop. I filled up the scratch disks often. I also want my 3d software (Maya,ZBrush etc.) to operate seamlessly.

I do not play games, but read a good review of a type of gaming computer that I'm thinking about adding to: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/...wer_Black_Pearl

Hard to tell much from that link.
It's a mess, and no offense implied, to some extent so is your post. Copy and paste gone wrong somewhere?

Quote:
I added the following and would like any advice or direction on putting together a machine that can handle my major Photshop files and allow massive files in softwares such as Maya, ZBrush, Arch GIS and AutoCAD to run smoothly. Also I'm not sure if I want overclocking ability?

If you don't know if you want overclocking ability, you probably don't
You can consider a cheap over clocking to boost a mid-range CPU (good for non MT apps kinda value for money), but if you don't know what you're doing there you probably want to stay clear of it, or just approach it in moderation where you can get a free 3% and a multiplier or two (which means sticking to air cooling).

Quote:
Case: Azza Genesis 9000 Full Tower Gaming Case w/ 2 x 230mm fans, 4x Easy Swap HDD, Dual
Power Supply Support, & front USB 3.0 Port

How much is that? Sounds like an overprice OCing case. If you have budget limits you can spend money much better somewhere else without buying a fast and furious led lit monstrosity.

Quote:
Noise Reduction Technology: Sound Absorbing Foam on Side, Top And Bottom panels

Hmm... can I ask why?
These days air cooling is extremely silent unless things are frying to the point where the PSU and case fans will need to move enough air to completely void sound proofing.

Quote:
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3930K Six-Core 3.20 GHz 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011

That's a generally fairly overpriced CPU to toss around on a budget.
Depending on budget, build, and what you want to do with the PC (saying ZB PS and Maya is very, too, generic) chances are you could get better for the money.
And if you're unsure about OCing why buy an old Gen K CPU that costs more than the top Haswell CPU out there that starts from 120% that clock already?

Quote:
Cooling Fan: Asetek 570LX Liquid Cooling system w/ 240MM Radiator and Dual Fans (Extreme Overclocking
Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)

This, combined with the above, makes it seem like you are buying an overpriced and out-dated gaming OC friendly system. Good for nerding out and if you're into that kind of stuff, seldom good value for money.

Quote:
Motherboard: (SLI/CrossFireX Support) MSI X79A-GD45 Plus Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel

Fairly expensive for the previous gen, good mobo, but again additional cash wasted for OC for the sake of it.

Quote:
Memory: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)

4x4 means decking out the mobo for just 16GB. If you'll ever want to upgrade you will need to swap. Other than that it basically says "this could be any 1600 stick we have sitting around".

Quote:
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

Could work, might not. The whole AMD vs nVIDIA debate is something that's done the rounds a million times, search in this forum for it.

Quote:
power Supply Upgrade: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply -

SLI/CrossFireX Ready

Unless you plan on running multiple videocards (absolutely 0 effect in the apps you listed) this is
A) overkill
B) doesn't specify what brand and build grade it is

Quote:
Hard Drive: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
(Single Drive)

So you price out a monster (although outdated) overclocking rig and toss in a single spindle drive?
Again, depends on use. A single SSD for OS/apps and current file being worked on and a couple secondary drives are usually considered a better choice in graphics.

Again, I sincerely don't mean to insult, or demoralize, you're asking for advice it's not like you bought the lot and came bragging about it, but it feels like you've been suckered in by a gaming/OCing forum or something

More details on what you do with the apps in question would also help (IE: some things benefit enormously from MTing and HTing, making a large cache with many cores and HT good, some benefit so little from it that a 250$ i5 4570k with a 50$ h60 cooler will smoke a multi-grand xeon).

Free Maya Nodes

Old 06-24-2013, 05:35 AM   #5
NowItCanBeTold
portfolio
USA

I'd go with Jaco on this one.

Last edited by NowItCanBeTold : 06-24-2013 at 05:46 AM.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:35 AM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread