Old 05-20-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
MisterS
seeking knowledge

portfolio
David Spittle
Civil Design Drafter
Brisbane, Australia

I need advice on another render node

I currently have two computers one, workstation, one node. Both running Win7 64.

Workstation:

AMD Phenom II 6-core 1090T 3.2GHz stock
32GB RAM
GTX580
SSDs

Node:

AMD Bulldozer 8-core 8350FX 4.0GHz stock
16GB RAM
HDDS
older graphics card.

So they're running pretty good at the moment i.e. they work - would it be a no brainer to put together another node of the same spec or am I missing a trick somewhere?

Primarily for Max DBR and network rendering with mr. In future for compositing.

Rekon I could build for about $800-900 bucks using the odd part I have laying around (if I went with regular type PC using AMD but most of my components are pretty old skool.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
olson
Houdini|Python|Linux
portfolio
Luke Olson
Dallas, USA

The current AMD processors offer good bang for the buck for rendering. There are some other considerations though like software licenses for render nodes. If all of the rendering licenses you need are complimentary with the software then it makes sense to use a lot of lower end machines. If the rendering licenses will cost you a lot per machine it makes more sense to use fewer high end machines so the license costs are more reasonable. If you decide to go with a better processor than the current AMD offerings I'd put it in the workstation and then make the workstation a render node.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
MisterS
seeking knowledge

portfolio
David Spittle
Civil Design Drafter
Brisbane, Australia

Thanks Luke - Max can use 8 individual CPUs for DBR (incl. however many cores they have) for DBR which is primary focus at the moment.

Managed for get locally for $810 all in, including a pretty decent case, cooler, and another 500GB HDD.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
MisterS
seeking knowledge

portfolio
David Spittle
Civil Design Drafter
Brisbane, Australia

So I put together a second node.

Actually I pretty much destroyed and rebuilt two computers today so that my workstation has an 8 core.

Node one I left in tact with it's existing 8 core.

And I grabbed all the internals of the old workstation and that became my second node. So nothings changed apart from I kept 32GB RAM in my workstation and put two new 8GB modules in the node.

Anyway - I've been battling away for hours trying to get DBR and backburner working on this new node.

Everthing installed fine on the new workstation, but the node fails with DBR. Server also fails to open on this node but manager and monitor are ok. I've reinstalled it again with no joy.

Communication between new Workstation and the old node is fine but here's the mr error which doesnt really tell me a lot.

Code:
MSG 0.0 274 MB warn 012229: could not connect to host:port RENDER02:7518 - A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. (IPv6) MSG 0.0 274 MB warn 012229: could not connect to host:port RENDER02:7518 - A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. (IPv4) MSG 0.0 274 MB error 011228: mi_msg_connect: failed to create active socket MSG 0.0 274 MB error 011706: cannot add host RENDER02:7518 MSG 0.0 274 MB warn 012229: could not connect to host:port RENDER02:7001 - A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. (IPv6) MSG 0.0 274 MB warn 012229: could not connect to host:port RENDER02:7001 - A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. (IPv4)

Any ideas? I think it must be user error.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
olson
Houdini|Python|Linux
portfolio
Luke Olson
Dallas, USA

Is the service/appliation running on the node? Firewall setup to allow that port? Can you reach the machine by pinging it?

Old 05-22-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
MisterS
seeking knowledge

portfolio
David Spittle
Civil Design Drafter
Brisbane, Australia

Thanks for your help. I feel a bit silly - the DBR problem was with the firewall - it was set to allow through Public network but not home.

So I guess the next thing I need to resolve is the BB issue. So monitor and manager both work but server doesnt on this one node.

You can't even see the service in Task manager.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #7
MisterS
seeking knowledge

portfolio
David Spittle
Civil Design Drafter
Brisbane, Australia

I tried uninstalling BB again, then I reinstalled using one packaged with a Maya installer (just BB). And I have the same problem.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #8
olson
Houdini|Python|Linux
portfolio
Luke Olson
Dallas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterS
I tried uninstalling BB again, then I reinstalled using one packaged with a Maya installer (just BB). And I have the same problem.

Maybe try a dedicated forum for that software. Or give Autodesk a call, that's part of what the cost of the software goes toward.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:21 AM   #9
MisterS
seeking knowledge

portfolio
David Spittle
Civil Design Drafter
Brisbane, Australia

Yep fair enough - and thanks again for your help. 22 buckets is pretty sweet!

Old 05-23-2013, 03:15 AM   #10
MisterS
seeking knowledge

portfolio
David Spittle
Civil Design Drafter
Brisbane, Australia

SOLUTION: Go back to restore point i.e. fresh install of Win7. Download the older mobo LAN drivers from Gigabyte weebsite (I don't think this was the step that resolved the problem but whilst the mobos are all the same, the older one is v1 and UD3 model rather than U3 and ver3).

Switched the UAC bollocks off - is there a point to these messages when you can accept them anyway?

And the one which I had a sneaky feeeling about was Install Max and BB as administrator. Another annoying Win7 feature that I don't understand enough about...

Anyway - there are plenty of unresolved posts of this nature online - hopefully this can help.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:15 AM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread