64GB? Any use of that?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
64GB? Any use of that?

Hi,
Could someone with 64GB of RAM tell us is it worth of it?
For landscapes and very detailed projects, mainly archiviz.
Do you really use near that?
Or is it adventage in that you can swithces from project to project easily?
3,4 instances of MAX, with average of 10-15GB of RAM?

Old 05 May 2013   #2
With MARI tiled texture, imagine having many characters, each having millions of polygons and using 10s of 8k textures. Imagine you rendering that scene out in 3D 4k format. Imagine compositing them. 64 Gb will probably be useful.

Other wise, look at your own resource monitor and you should get a pretty good idea if you need it. Why you would open multiple MAX is beyond me, even if you have enough RAM it'd still eat your CPU for no reason.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Thank, you, anyway, multiple MAXs I use, preferably due to this MAGIC script!

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/s...d-paste-objects

))))))))

EDIT::
What is MARI tiled text? :(

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Check out how you lay out UV's for MARI

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-NvnnpSZFz...-robot-Mari.jpg

Every UV space can have their own texture file. Each can go up as high res as you want. And you have separate textures for color, spec, bump, etc, etc, etc.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Honestly, just look at your ram usage on your current projects. If youre using more than 8 gigs on a 3d project then youre either simulating monstrous fluids, working on an insanely detailed arch viz project, or youre grotesquely inefficient with your system resources.

A typical 3D project, 10 million polys + another 10 million instanced, a gig or two of texture data, a few thousand keyframes, will usually need somewhere in the region of 2-4 gigs to render. Add another 2-4 gigs to store the project in memory, undo buffers etc and youre probably talking 8 gigs for a fairly heavy 3d project. If you get 16 gigs then this will usually cover the os, having photoshop open with a few files, AE, web browser with a dozen tabs, email and so on quite comfortably.

If youre thinking "well, why the hell not, lets future proof it a bit", then 32 gigs is far more than most people could use even if they were trying to fill it. 64 gigs, IMHO is a waste of money at this point in time unless you have some specific need.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Originally Posted by imashination: 1. working on an insanely detailed arch viz project
...or youre....
2. grotesquely inefficient with your system resources.

both!
To be honest, I am more into design field etc, so, sometimes, do not even think about any kind of saving the resources :(
Also, the arial views, with a lot of trees, etc... can really be memory hungry!
Typical situation:
1. one heavy scene in backround is rendering /15-20GB/
2. daylight scene is changing /10-15GB/
3. night scene is changing at the same time, both opened /10-15GB/

Old 05 May 2013   #7
I have yet to put maya 2014 into production with it's cap lifted off the 2 gig .mb scene limit, but right now my files use 14-20 gigs of ram to render

Compositing is another story, all 64 gigs get used easily then - 4k, 60fps stereo composites...Actually even 64 gigs isn't enough at times. I've had situations that I really needed a little over 200 gigs of ram after I did the math

Old 05 May 2013   #8
The real answer despite what other people might say: It depends because we're all working on different tasks that require different quantities of memory.

It's easy to say you don't need more than X or Y gigabytes of memory, but we don't know the specifics of the project you're working on to be able to make that judgement. If you're working as efficiently as possible for the given task and still running out of memory then yeah, more memory is definitely worth it. If you're using 10% of the memory in the system on a regular basis and never completely run out, then no, more memory wouldn't be worth it.

The sweet spot right now for most computer graphics folks is 16-32GB of memory in my opinion, but some folks need more and some folks needs less. Like I said in the first paragraph, it depends.

Old 05 May 2013   #9
Originally Posted by imashination: Honestly, just look at your ram usage on your current projects. If youre using more than 8 gigs on a 3d project then youre either simulating monstrous fluids, working on an insanely detailed arch viz project, or youre grotesquely inefficient with your system resources.

Easy. Photoshop for hi-res textures, 3ds max, zbrush, bodypaint, and something of that calliber, opened all tigether, can eat more than 8 gigs, perhaps up to 15... never reached more than that though. 32 is a lot I think, archviz fellow didn't use 32 ever. 16 - sometimes.

Old 05 May 2013   #10
8 GB depending on what you do means you'll easily be out of memory, I think it's the minimum you should have. 16 is fine and will suit most of us. I bought 32 and easily went in the high twenties with multiple instances of maxwell render running in parallel..... anyway memory is insanely cheap these days...

Old 05 May 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread