CGTalk > Development and Hardware > Technical and Hardware
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
Copperrobber
portfolio
Sweden

Figured buying a new PC, is this specs any good ?

Is these specifications any good for 3D modeling/sculpting (and gaming) ?
AMD Radeon HD7750 2048MB (2GB) -GRAPHICSCARD
AMD Quad-core X4 750K 4.0GHz (turbo) - Black Edition -CPU
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz - RAM
Seagate 500GB 7200RPM 32MB - HARDDRIVE

I am now using a samsung R580 laptop with i3,4gb RAM & geforce GT330m and i can sculpt up to polygon level 2 in Mudbox and then it starts lagging, and when i import it to Blender its unworkable ? (ist that a word ? ) anyway will those specs work any good ? its really cheap too only 650 bucks for that.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
Copperrobber
portfolio
Sweden

well anybody ?

Old 05-15-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Well, you don't mention it what you want to use it for, with what software.
In all honesty, if you could just search these forums you would have found the answer to every scenario that question has been asked in already, without having to wait.

IE:
8GB of ram = not enough for sim heavy work, barely enough for memory hungry rendering engines, more than needed for ZBrush, ridiculously more than needed for rigging/animation in Maya, laughable for film res Comp and concurrent editing.

AMD CPU = disappointing performance in rendering, perfectly fine and good bang for buck for some sims (heavily thread locked ones), good bang for buck but not excellent for sculpting, fine for rigging/anim or other single threaded tasks.

Radeon card = great value for money and performance in some apps, a bleeding nightmare of whack-a-mole with drivers in some others.

500GB hard drives = do they even still make them? Last I needed a 1.5TB (for raid syncronicity to replace a dead one) they didn't make those anymore, the entry level was 2TB, and previous gen 1TBs were the small SOHO drives for those using the PC for e-mail only.

Start from this, and search a bit more, then come back and list intended use and budget in more detail if you want some pertinent answers.

For the silly but inevitable automotive similitude of the day: You asked if a car was good without even hinting at whether you want mileage, cheap, resellable, offroad use, race car performance, or any of the other many mutually exclusive parameters considered in buying one

Free Maya Nodes

Old 05-15-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread