Old 05-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
Orkman
Available at Walmart®

portfolio
Brook
Creative Director
Salt Lake City, USA

Cintiq 13HD or refurbed 21UX?

Which would you pick? They are almost the same in price. Only thing is I think the mobility of the 13HD is more appealing to me.

Is the difference between 1024 and 2048 levels of pressure noticeable?

Thanks!

"Now I got no problem with any man that does what he's told, but when he don't, the machine breaks down. And when the machine breaks down, WE break down." --Sgt. Barnes, Platoon

Old 05-11-2013, 12:22 AM   #2
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkman
Is the difference between 1024 and 2048 levels of pressure noticeable?

Thanks!

If to compare to models like bamboo and intuos (which have this difference), yes there's a difference, but it depends on what you do. Generally 2048 feels more "correct", but in nuances. It just feels more natural. So for serious professional work it's a better choice. If for some quick random sketches, 1024 will do.
Where it really matters is 3d-sculpting.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:44 AM   #3
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

I got to say I can't notice the difference between 1024 and 2048, ESPECIALLY not when sculpting (which I've done abundantly on both), where the size of the discrete element (pixols or tris or voxels depending on app) is practically always a great deal bigger, dozens times over, than the size of the discrete element of pressure.

It makes no sense mathematically, and it didn't in practice, if you are perceiving one IMO it's either placebo, or simply a better surface/pen/tip, which is the case if you compare an intuous5 to an old bamboo.
Comparing the intuous 4 to the 5 in example there is no perceivable difference with the same tip and tools.

In painting, the difference is minimal, but you can kinda sorta tell on some brushes, not game changing though.

However, looking at the future, or even at the present if you use painter, the much maligned multi touch sensitivity is F'in awesome.
Being able to resize the brush with a pinch, or rotate the canvas with your hands, something I have no doubt Adobe and Pixologic will have to catch up to, is plain amazing and liberating. So to future proof the purchase, I would at least try to test run it to see if it's your thing.

Personally I like having the tablet in my lap and being able to move it around easily for some strokes in apps where you can't rotate the canvas, and find the hinged larger cintiqs unbearable to work with, but I know people who feel about it the opposite way, so again, test driving is key if you can.
Bear in mind even as a draftsman I always tended to handle my paper/canvas around a ton more than literally everybody else, so I have a strong bias as far as my dexterity goes and what it works best with.

It's a really, really personal thing.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 11-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
evanfotis
Esse quam videri

portfolio
Evan Fotis, Georgoulakis
Athens, Greece

For drawing/ painting use on the desktop I'd choose the 21ux definitely! Only the size will allow better mapping, detailing etc. The 21ux rotates too.

If I needed something "portable" on the go or more discrete for on and off use, then the 13HD would be my choice, even though I dislike the thick cable connection implementation.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #5
Cometsoft
Expert

I can't figure out why someone would go for the 13HD, when they could go for the Cintiq Companion Hybrid. The both can operate as cintiqs, but the Hybrid can also do standalone. The prices were around the same, but I think it as dropped on the HD.

I don't own either, so would love hear from others.

FWIW, I owned a big Cintiq (can't remember the model). Sold it cause I barley used it. I found the ergonomics unbearable. But if it suits your posture, got to say it worked well.

I just looked up the prices and now see that there's a $500 difference. That would be pretty good reason to go for the HD.

Last edited by Cometsoft : 11-05-2013 at 11:42 PM.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread