VRAY slow on AMD FX8350

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 05 May 2013   #61
Originally Posted by olson: In the BIOS there's probably a setting for throttling the CPU that can be disabled. I'm looking at the motherboard manual right now, it's a ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, right?

Their manual is not comprehensive, it says "CPU menu has CPU options" so you'll have to figure that one out on your own. It does have some stuff in the manual though, like change the multiplier to 20X (or whatever you want) instead of the default "Auto" and disable "Cool 'n Quiet" if you haven't already.

Old 05 May 2013   #62
Oh... bad.
Yes, I tried to set manually 18x and a lower voltage with AMD overdrive (not in the bios), but the problem remains.
In the BIOS I disabled almost everything (for what I can understand) regarding power safe, like cool'n'quite and so on... But still throttling problem.

Old 05 May 2013   #63
Originally Posted by chaosmonger: Oh... bad.
Yes, I tried to set manually 18x and a lower voltage with AMD overdrive (not in the bios), but the problem remains.
In the BIOS I disabled almost everything (for what I can understand) regarding power safe, like cool'n'quite and so on... But still throttling problem.

Try setting the multiplier manually in the BIOS. Not through AMD's utility.

Old 05 May 2013   #64
UPDATE: the throttling problem happens also when I'm rendering using MentalRay.

Old 05 May 2013   #65
Originally Posted by chaosmonger: UPDATE: the throttling problem happens also when I'm rendering using MentalRay.

Well, no point in contacting V-Ray support then.

Old 05 May 2013   #66
Originally Posted by olson: Try setting the multiplier manually in the BIOS. Not through AMD's utility.

Ok, I can try it... but when I setted it with AMD utility it was working (I mean, I noticed that the multiplier was correctly setted).

Old 05 May 2013   #67
I'm using the Sabertooth 990FX with an FX 8120, Win7 with ProcessLasso managing Maya. This is a very rough test, didn't have a lot of time this morning, but here's the results so far:

8 cores: 5m23s
4 physical cores: 6m58s
4 first cores: 8m05s

Further testing is necessary, of course, but we're not seeing a 2x scaling for this scene I'm using. Granted, it may not be a great scene for such tests. I'll try another scene tonight.

(Edit And the percentages against the baseline 8-core render:

8 cores: 100%
4 physical: 129%
4 firsts: 150%

So thus far, I'm seeing about a 30% gain from using all 8 cores, when it should obviously be a 100% difference. This is consistent with the proposition that the 4 non-physical cores are "flopping around" during floating point ops. But that said, if the scene takes 3 minutes to translate and load in the textures and geometry (for example), then those percentages widen immensely. Based on that guess, as I'm at work now and not in front of my Bulldozer:

4 physical: 166%
4 firsts: 213%

Those estimates seem to be scaling properly, but again, that 3 minute launch time is just a guess on my end, having worked with that particular scene for over a year now. More analysis is needed. I'll create a test scene tonight and share it with anyone interested, and then we can compare the 8120/Sabertooth 990FX to your setups? I would imagine the Sabertooth to be a big factor in efficiency and speed, even compared to other Asus motherboards.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Last edited by InfernalDarkness : 05 May 2013 at 05:50 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #68
Thanks InfernalDarkness.
As I said probably it's a throttling issue. I can try ProcessLasso or manipulating some bios settings...

Old 05 May 2013   #69
Hey buddy have you tried updating the BIOS of your motherboard's a look at it on the asus site you passed, I went from a check and had much to update BIOS
one of them was this one.

Description M5A78L-M/USB3 BIOS 1503
1.Improve system stability.
2.Improve memory compatibility.
Update 12/04/2012

It may be your case is a test save who can solve your problem

Old 05 May 2013   #70
The purpose here is to define what the chips are doing and how to approach them for efficiency. I'm not sure how to test against your results without Vray. My tests are with mental ray.

This new scene has just three texture files: the grass, the ground, and the sky. Simple as pie.

Baseline render (all 8 cores) shown above:
4m29s

4 physical cores: 6m42s
4 first cores: 7m59s
4 non-physical: 7m28s

Thus, as percentages of the baseline:
4 physical: 149%
4 first: 178%
4 non-physical: 166.5%

4 non-physical vs. 4 physical: 111%

The FX appears to do much better spreading the data out across the physical cores, which of course makes sense. But those non-physical cores are just 11% slower, it would seem. Even so, the "4 first" cores' rendertime should be 200% of the full 8, so we're seeing something interesting there. All 8 cores aren't as efficient as just 4, perhaps due to thermals and the CPU accommodating by altering the voltage. I should be marking the clock speeds here too, I guess. But these numbers seem to match up with what we know about the chips themselves, no real surprises here. The non-physical cores are slower than the physical ones, but the chip performs better with the non-physicals than it does with the first four. There's a speed loss between the physical and non-physical cores as they struggle for resources.

Not sure if this helps, but this is the best data I could come up with just now, ChaosMonger. If you have ideas for further testing, I'll try to help. I'm not overclocking here, just stock profile at 15.5x mulitiplier, so about 4GHz at rendertime.

Old 05 May 2013   #71
Well, you can send me your scene with your settings and I can try to see my render time.
Otherwise I cannot understand the purpose of your test. Here the matter is not define if AMD is good or not, but understand what's my problem and how to solve it!

Old 07 July 2013   #72
HI,

I was interesting in creating a render node based on fx-8350 cpu but after reading this thread i don't know what to do anymore.

The price/performance ratio about AMD is quite good(except for power consumption) so i would like to know if you finally solved your problem ?

Cheer

Old 07 July 2013   #73
Originally Posted by kJJB: I was interesting in creating a render node based on fx-8350 cpu but after reading this thread i don't know what to do anymore.

AMD processors are fine for rendering. There's something funky going on in this case, my guess is faulty hardware or improperly configured hardware. Hopefully the original poster has it figured out by now. I wouldn't let this discourage you from buying AMD for a render node.

Old 07 July 2013   #74
I concur with Olson. I have none of the problems the OP was having with any of my AMD rigs. I do however think it's worthwhile to spend the extra money for a high-end motherboard (Sabertooth or better), as this will help eliminate any potential bottlenecks or issues, and maximize your flexibility and control.

Old 07 July 2013   #75
THanks for reply.

I believe AMD is a good cheap solution for my small render node project.

Cheer from Paris

reply share thread