CGTalk > Development and Hardware > Technical and Hardware
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
govindk
Visual Story Teller

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Govind Krishna
Texture Painter | Look Development Artist
Bangalore, India

Send a message via Yahoo to govindk
Quadro Kepler vs Fermi

Why is that Autodesk, Adobe, Foundry, etc prefer Fermi Quadro Cards over Kepler, while nVidia has clearly said that Kepler is faster than Fermi architecture.

For instance if you look at Quadro 4000 and Quadro K4000, there is a huge different in specs, clearly Kepler overtakes Fermi. Yet software manufactures prefer Fermi.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

Because they've tested the older cards with their software. The newer cards haven't been tested yet, or at least not with the newest version of their software they've recently been developing.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindk
Why is that Autodesk, Adobe, Foundry, etc prefer Fermi Quadro Cards over Kepler, while nVidia has clearly said that Kepler is faster than Fermi architecture.

For instance if you look at Quadro 4000 and Quadro K4000, there is a huge different in specs, clearly Kepler overtakes Fermi. Yet software manufactures prefer Fermi.

Any link to that?

I never read about any of those software providers actually stating a preference for a card or another, they certified cards from both just fine when available.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 04-15-2013, 04:07 AM   #4
tswalk
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

I'ld also like to read this if provided... the Kepler has significant power/heat benefits, so I'm curious.

It could just be a matter of resources, time, budgets.. etc., that causes delays in their testing and requirements. Let's face it, everyone is under a much tighter budget these days.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:14 AM   #5
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

I would have to guess he's basing it on the current certified HW lists, which is, however, usually anterior to the quadro kepler cards.

We'll see when the 2014 certificaiton docs are released, but I'd be surprised not to see the Ks in there.

Same for the Foundry. They have the gaming Kepler cards up there and certified, they had them practically since the 680 was out, but the k5000 probably hasn't been provided for certification yet, or was only not too long ago.

If there's something more explicit than the above assumption stating those vendors don't like Kepler, then I haven't heard of it. It's entirely possible I just missed something though.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 04-15-2013, 06:25 AM   #6
govindk
Visual Story Teller

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Govind Krishna
Bangalore, India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
Any link to that?

I never read about any of those software providers actually stating a preference for a card or another, they certified cards from both just fine when available.

ThE_JacO, you are right, my assumption is based on system requirements provided by vendors.
And that's why i specifically mentioned Quadro Keplers, as foundry seems to support GeForce.

I really have no idea how they test cards, but it's weird they don't test or haven't tests yet rather, nVidia's Quadro Kepler as surely it does make a difference compared to Fermi.

And I did not say they don't like, I said they seem to prefer Fermi, as its been sometime that Kepler cards are out and till 2012, none mentioned Kepler on docs. Especially foundry has mentioned it on Mari's system requirements, that it should be Fermi.

However Maya 2013 (that I checked today), seems to have K5000 to their certified list
It appears that they are moving towards Kepler as well now.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
olson
Houdini|Python|Linux
portfolio
Luke Olson
Dallas, USA

As newer versions of software come out they will be tested with hardware available at the release. It's not that the Kepler based cards are not recommend, they just probably weren't available at the time. If I were to pickup a new Quadro today I'd get the Kepler based cards, like the Quadro K5000, not the Quadro 5000. Before spending the money you might also look at the workstations cards from AMD.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
govindk
Visual Story Teller

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Govind Krishna
Bangalore, India

AMD FirePro is definitely a little cheaper compared to Quadro cards.
I am just worried about reliability. I might be wrong though, it might be as good as Quadro cards!

A very interesting link i came across http://www.fireprographics.com/reso...enchmark_V2.pdf

Last edited by govindk : 04-15-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindk
ThE_JacO, you are right, my assumption is based on system requirements provided by vendors.
And that's why i specifically mentioned Quadro Keplers, as foundry seems to support GeForce.

I really have no idea how they test cards, but it's weird they don't test or haven't tests yet rather, nVidia's Quadro Kepler as surely it does make a difference compared to Fermi.

I wouldn't read too much into it yet.
The k5000 has been hard to come by, and it's perfectly possible it's only slipped through the crakcs of time and schedule insofar.

Quote:
And I did not say they don't like, I said they seem to prefer Fermi, as its been sometime that Kepler cards are out and till 2012, none mentioned Kepler on docs. Especially foundry has mentioned it on Mari's system requirements, that it should be Fermi.

I think they mention Fermi purely because the nomenclature chosen by nVIDIA this time around is odd to say the least, with the new kepler quadro STILL being called a 5000, with just a k added, so they specify the fermi in parentheses just to outline the one tested is the old 5000, and not the new 5000

Write to the Foundry if in doubt, but I wouldn't worry overmuch. The Kepler architecture itself has no issues in any foundry product we used or tested, and that's most of their range.
They just released nuke7, mari2, a new version of EXR is out, and NAB has just finished. They must have been hella busy in the last few months.

Quote:
However Maya 2013 (that I checked today), seems to have K5000 to their certified list
It appears that they are moving towards Kepler as well now.

They didn't have it only a few days ago, but as 2014 releases are out now, they are probably updating the documents.
Don't read too much, again, in an inclusive list, it doesn't mean it's exclusive, and nobody is MOVING platforms, both fermi and kepler cards are fine

Free Maya Nodes

Old 04-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
govindk
Visual Story Teller

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Govind Krishna
Bangalore, India

Yup, reading too much is bad & confusing..
But I do not want any surprises once I spend my money

Old 04-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Write and ask then.
I doubt you will get any (surprises) though.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 04-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #12
govindk
Visual Story Teller

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Govind Krishna
Bangalore, India

Quote:
Write and ask then.
I doubt you will get any (surprises) though.

Already Done. According to them, there shouldn't be any problem (at least not known to them, from Quadro 4000 Fermi), 'cause they still haven't tested Kepler as of now..
And I might get a message "Hardware not tested, and may experience some stability issues"

However I posted here because I love CG Talk as response is more lucrative

Old 04-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

There you go, they just haven't tested it yet
Seriously, if you have the cash for a kepler quadro, or someone else is paying, just get one, you'll be fine.
There is hardly anything worth of notice that would make the same software run on fermi fine and not on kepler. Even very specific hardware centric optimizations move across fine unless you are expecting a very specific model (which just doesn't happen in commercial software).

Free Maya Nodes

Old 04-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #14
govindk
Visual Story Teller

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Govind Krishna
Bangalore, India

Quote:
There you go, they just haven't tested it yet
Seriously, if you have the cash for a kepler quadro, or someone else is paying, just get one, you'll be fine.
There is hardly anything worth of notice that would make the same software run on fermi fine and not on kepler. Even very specific hardware centric optimizations move across fine unless you are expecting a very specific model (which just doesn't happen in commercial software).

Ha ha!! Yes, agreed!

Old 04-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #15
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread