Question about the new EVGA GTX680 for Mac Pro

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Question about the new EVGA GTX680 for Mac Pro

Hi all,

I just read that there is new graphic card from EVGA, the GTX 680 for Mac Pro.
Currently I have the Radeon 5870 on my Mac Pro so I consider upgrading the graphic card to the GTX680, will I see any improvement compared to my old card?
I usually work with Cinema4D R13, after effects and premiere CS6, so I am really interested about the CUDA cores and how they will improve my workflow with AE and Premiere.

Thanks in advance

Old 04 April 2013   #2
The only benchmarks I've seen are from Barefeats, which never covers pro apps, unfortunately:

http://barefeats.com/gpu7950c.html

But judging by the benchmarks they've done, I'd say you'd notice a bit of performance and the CUDA would help, if you need it for Premiere. It's not a great card for compute but you don't need a ton of power for Premiere's Mercury Engine from what I've seen. The main issue is the price it's $600.

But don't get the AMD 7950. It's a bit of a disappointment in OS X 10.8.3 from what I've seen

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Thank you for the reply,

From what I understand what you wrote, I will not see a BIG difference in the workflow compared to my current card. Maybe I better wait for the next generation of mac pro rumored to be announced in the next few months.

I heard that the next version of AE and premier will support OpenCL so AMD card are still a good option.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread