Pixel pitch and digital art creation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Pixel pitch and digital art creation

Hello,
i'd like to upgrade my old 19 monitor (1280x1024, VA technology) to a bigger one. I'll work on programming, modelling and texturing 3D indie videogames for the PC (and in future tablets) and i'd start with a Full-HD monitor considering these requirements:
  • good color fidelity, i don't ask for professional XX-bit quality (IPS seems to fit the need, even if those black glows are not nice compared to my VA panel)
  • i don't want to have a very high resolution monitor because i'd need a high end video card to run the game (and purchased ones) at full screen and native res. I'd like to use a Radeon 7850/7870.
  • i've used for 3 years a Full-HD 24" monitor for programming and i had to set bigger fonts because i felt tired watching the screen for hours. I fear that using a 23 IPS (Full-HD) or a 24 IPS (1920x1200) would pain my eyes even more
  • Full-HD would be ideal also because i always look at 16:9 content and it also would prevent seeing (very likely) light bleeding of LED monitors because there'd be no black bars
I've seen that there're AH-IPS monitors that have larger sizes (27") but 1920x1080 resolution. Do you think that having an higher pixel pitch (distance between pixels) is not good for creating digital art (like painting in photoshop)?

Consider that i don't search for a high-end monitor, probably in the future i'll buy other ones to target every particular job (i plan, for example to buy a cintiq screen at the end of the year for digital painting). Now i'd like something average for not wasting too much money and starting my indie projects

Old 04 April 2013   #2
With modern monitors, pixel pitch has very little impact, if any, on painting in Photoshop. The last time I cared about pixel pitch, there were these two really thin wires running across my CRT monitor screen that bugged the hell outta me.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
I can't stand being able to see the grid of pixels

it's really awful on 27" 1080p monitors. They're so much better at 1440p IMO.

I'd only consider a large 1080p monitor if you have poor eyesight, but these days with mos t software able to increase the size of fonts and web pages, things will look nicer on a denser monitor with software resizing than seeing the pixel grid

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread