Shoulf I get a retina macbook pro?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #31
Originally Posted by tuna: Don't forget there's no graphics switching in Windows on the MBPr, and the windows/command keys are flipped around, which is really annoying.

What are the exact implications of that no graphics switching thing? If it means it'll always run on discrete graphics, I dont think it will be an issue as Im sure 3ds max wouldnt handle integrated anyways.

Old 03 March 2013   #32
Originally Posted by technokill: What are the exact implications of that no graphics switching thing? If it means it'll always run on discrete graphics, I dont think it will be an issue as Im sure 3ds max wouldnt handle integrated anyways.

It usually means the intel coprocessor will be shunned, if it even gets recognized, and that only the AMD M will be used. It also throttles power not as well as native does.

Parallels doesn't have the issue, but you are running a virtual machine at that point and not really an independent boot with a thin wrapper to the EFI. In some cases that's convenient, other times the trade-off will be more than you are willing to pay.

Depending on apps it will make little to no difference some times, to a noticeable but slight loss of performance in other cases. Depends how much the app is offset by better performance in windows (which Maya in example tends to have videocard wise, not to mention the availability of VP2 DX11 only in windows), even uses the GPU (IE: ZBrush cares bugger all for it), or actually runs well and natively on Mac (I imagine Modo and C4D in example might see a drop in performance, but I'm guessing here).

Old 03 March 2013   #33
ya, the general rule is that Windows is faster for GPU but most apps prefer OS X for actual render speeds, with mental ray being the most painful example (Windows is pretty much owned by OS X and Linux).

Old 03 March 2013   #34
Originally Posted by technokill: What are the exact implications of that no graphics switching thing? If it means it'll always run on discrete graphics, I dont think it will be an issue as Im sure 3ds max wouldnt handle integrated anyways.

It will indeed always use the discreet NVidia gpu, which will eat up battery much faster and will be generally a tad hotter. Basically you might start seeing that your battery life is almost half that in Windows than OSX. (temps difference at idle probably won't be noticeable)

Old 03 March 2013   #35
but one thing that you should keep in mind is that the Geforce GPU in the retina MacBook Pro is officially supported in CG apps under OS X, where it's not supported in Windows. You have to get a mobile Quadro for that. So, there is a much greater likelihood that you'll see terrible performance in Maya with a Kepler Geforce under Windows because Nvidia doesn't care to support it or pro OpenGL apps.

A lot of reports are going around about bad performance with Kepler cards like the 680 in Maya under Windows.

Old 03 March 2013   #36
Nah, for sure Ill use maya/zbrush with OSX. As you guys said, better render performance and supported nvidia graphics.

My only concern was 3ds max really, but I guess the issues will stay within the battery power domain right? Or even with 3ds max ill run into problems due to windows lack of support?

Old 03 March 2013   #37
Originally Posted by technokill: Nah, for sure Ill use maya/zbrush with OSX. As you guys said, better render performance and supported nvidia graphics.

My only concern was 3ds max really, but I guess the issues will stay within the battery power domain right? Or even with 3ds max ill run into problems due to windows lack of support?

You'll be fine, and even if it's not officially supported the videocard will do perfectly fine on windows too once you hit the right drivers/settings combo.
Once you bootcamp it you are running windows natively, and the 6xxM do perfectly fine in Maya (first person experience).

Bootcamp is a bootloader with a thin translation layer for what windows didn't support (which was much when it started, not so much now), not some black magic virtualized box. If you get windows up and running with everything detected and configured properly it's exactly like running native, the hardware that matter for DCC is all rather common/stock stuff.

Old 03 March 2013   #38
don't bother with Bootcamp for CG apps. I run Max with Nitro graphics in Parallels Desktop and it's fine. Obviously, you wouldn't want to do that full time but it's fine if you just need to fire it up to convert a .max model to .fbx or something. I wrote a review of Parallels Desktop 8 and VMWare Fusion 5 and covered CG apps in Windows and Linux:

http://arstechnica.com/features/201...eview-showdown/

just checked that again and you probably want to read the Parallels Desktop 7 review to get an idea of what 3D app performance is like in Windows 7 (I only talked about Win 8 above and both apps were flaky with 3D in Win 8):

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/1...n-4-reviewed/5/

Last edited by cgbeige : 03 March 2013 at 04:32 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #39
Well I wasnt thinking about only minor things with 3ds max, but whole little projects. I guess parallels wont ever be better than bootcamp for that right?

Old 03 March 2013   #40
Nothing prevents you from using both. Both have their place

Old 03 March 2013   #41
Originally Posted by technokill: Well I wasnt thinking about only minor things with 3ds max, but whole little projects. I guess parallels wont ever be better than bootcamp for that right?

no, it won't be better. rendering will be close to Bootcamp speeds since it uses all eight cores (four hyperthreaded) but the GPU speeds will be slower in Parallels for sure.

Old 03 March 2013   #42
I'll need a desktop replacement by mid-april. I would like to go with a 15inch Retina but as I am not used to OS X (tried with a mac mini, went back to window) I am not sure I am doing a wise decision. A Lenovo with acceptable sRGB with similar specs (but 1920x1080) is 1100$.

Old 03 March 2013   #43
if you go with a Windows laptop, you'll probably want to stick with one with a Quadro since it's flakier in Windows with recent gaming cards and Maya.

Old 03 March 2013   #44
I went with the Macbook Pro Retina. The Lenovo was kinda better deal and specs with a 2gb GPU but the Macbook will be easier to change language and weight less.

Got it for 1569$ refurbished. I hope I'll be able to extend the warranty in Canada.

Old 03 March 2013   #45
ya, that's not a problem, I'm sure. It just needs your serial number for AppleCare. I don't think it is regionally limited or anything since OS X just has one install that prompts you to pick a language on first boot.

Thread Closed share thread