Shoulf I get a retina macbook pro?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #16
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: I have a dell u2711, known for one of the best and most aggressive anti reflection matte finishes in the universe.
It makes me want to strap kittens to my knuckles and punch clean through it on some days.

That can be removed, you know.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1230911/...oating-on-u2711

Old 03 March 2013   #17
Do NOT buy the ram from Apple in case you were planning on doing that. Get the machine with the stock ram and go buy the ram elsewhere and install yourself. You will save hundreds of dollars.

Old 03 March 2013   #18
That would be great except RAM in retina models is glued down to the main body or whatever.

Old 03 March 2013   #19
ya, $200 is a lot (way too much) for 8GB more of RAM but there's not much you can do about that since you'd only save a bit getting it from another manufacturer that makes that special retina MBP RAM stick.

Old 03 March 2013   #20
The RAM isnt just glued in, its soldered directly on the motherboard, but the memory upfront, you wont be able to upgrade later.

From your list, Id get all the upgrades, 256gigs storage is kinda tight, 100 dollars isnt bad for that cpu speed boost either.

Old 03 March 2013   #21
But will those 0.3 ghz make any real world difference? Performance or even in render time, what would be the actual increase?

Old 03 March 2013   #22
it makes a difference if you render a lot. Hard to say for sure but 0.3GHz for four hyperthreaded cores could probably shave 5-8 seconds off of a minute-long render. That adds up.

Old 03 March 2013   #23
Originally Posted by imashination: The RAM isnt just glued in, its soldered directly on the motherboard, but the memory upfront, you wont be able to upgrade later.

Holy crap what is their excuse for such a stupid design decision?

Old 03 March 2013   #24
It's more compact and they can plan better cooling around it.

Old 03 March 2013   #25
Originally Posted by AJ1: That can be removed, you know.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1230911/...oating-on-u2711

Keep scrolling, look at the 48h later one

About half the chronicled attempts went HORRBILY wrong, plus I don't mind some antiglare given the light in the room I use it in when I do colour work (the colour of the u2711 is spectacular, easily on par with some monitors over twice the price we use at work, with a real 12bit LUT).
It's just it has too coarse a grain for the ppi of the monitor and it can get a bit brutal with some fonts and size combinations, which wouldn't be a problem if all apps out there would respect, or even have options, to change them, but some don't (IE: ZBRush all-custom widgets) anyway...

Old 03 March 2013   #26
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: Holy crap what is their excuse for such a stupid design decision?

About half the ultra thins out there made the same decision, allegedly for the cooling or reduced footprint in the internal layout.
The remaining half of the ultra thins, however, proved it to be absolute BS meant for the laptops to obsolesce (and trigger a new purchase) faster, and to sell the upgrades at cut throat prices.

So, allegedly, their excuse is cooling. In truth, it's greed
Given they are far from the best cooled laptop for its Wattage per SqI, and beaten by similar or better ratios, they are just trying to sucker you for more money.
It is a sexy piece of hardware that has a large chunk of market by the balls though, so I can't really blame them, if I was them I would probably make the same call

Old 03 March 2013   #27
Originally Posted by cgbeige: I'd definitely get the extra RAM (16GB is the bare minimum for 3D work IMO) and SSD space. It's kind of too bad they don't have an optical drive like my MBP because you can't swap it out for another big HD drive like I did. I put my system and apps on a 120GB SSD and all my mobile files and stock images/textures are on the 750GB HDD

+1 on the RAM and CPU upgrade.

As for the SSD it's personal preference and I've usually got 100-140gb free on my 512gb. The nice thing about the rMBP is USB3 is plenty fast if you need to load stuff externally and you've also got two thunderbolt ports to use as well - at the office I use a small Lacie Little Big Disk with two SSD's in it that rocks for disk i/o intensive applications.

Old 03 March 2013   #28
Alright, Ill try to grab both RAM and CPU then. Seems reasonable.

Hey, anyone ever experienced bootcamp in a retina mbp? Can windows handle the resolution?

Also, should I expect the overall feel of using 3ds max in bootcamp a bit clumsy?

Old 03 March 2013   #29
Just like Windows on a PC to be honest and I run 3dsmax/Softimage on Bootcamp without any hitches. Windows by default sets the screen resolution to 2880x1800 so you may have some apps with super tiny text or if you're doing anything graphically intensive that extra resolution is going to strain the GPU memory pretty good.

Old 03 March 2013   #30
Don't forget there's no graphics switching in Windows on the MBPr, and the windows/command keys are flipped around, which is really annoying.

Thread Closed share thread