GPU Rendering vs. Core rendering

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #16
Originally Posted by spiralof5: Well, would a 1200W PSU be sufficient for at least a couple of cards with this setup? I dunno, maybe I can snapshot my newegg parts and leave the PSU for last to ask one of you guys. I really have no idea. I'd rather do one that is 950W because it's cheaper.

950W is plenty unless you're running a pair of old Nvidia 5xx cards.

V-Rays shitty shaders have nothing to do with whether GPU rendering performs better than CPU rendering and whether it will overtake in the future

It's not V-Ray's shaders that suck, it's that you don't get as much support for Maya's procedural nodes in GPU mode. Once you start to build more complex shaders with utilities like blendColors, multiply/Divide, +/-, sampler info, etc. RT GPU falls apart very quickly. It's just that making stuff work on the GPU is very difficult, so it takes longer to support. You won't get these types of shader nodes in furryball, Arion, Octane, etc. because they use a straightforward progressive path tracing ray trace and don't have a lot of flexibility (that's why all GPU renderers basically look exactly the same). If all you want is a quick preview of some metal or car paint materials and a sun/sky, you should be fine but if you're looking to do out-of-the-box VFX stuff, leave GPU rendering out of the equation. The GPU can be really handy for certain things but it's not a one-stop shop like the CPU is.

Last edited by cgbeige : 02 February 2013 at 05:02 AM.

Old 02 February 2013   #17
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread