Ultrabook Convertible for mobile modeling

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Question Ultrabook Convertible for mobile modeling

I just bought a new Dell XPS12 online today to serve as my modeling computer when I am not at home (I use a desktop). I got as much power in it as possible that you can get into a convertible, which ends up being an ivy bridge core i7 running at 1.9GHz (<- that I am a little worried about) 8 gigs of RAM, a 256 gig solid state drive, and the graphics are the intel HD 4000 basically from the processor.

I went for a convertible ultrabook as opposed to a regular ultrabook because I feel like it would be a great help when I am sculpting anything in ZBrush, because I can directly affect the model on screen with my stylus. And when I am modeling in 3ds Max or Maya I can use it as a normal laptop. I wouldn't render on the laptop, I have a beast desktop that can do all of that for me. I would be running ZBrush 4R2, 3ds Max 2013 and Maya 2013.

What do you all think? Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with this convertibles for animation/modeling? I tried to find a review on google pertaining to this subject but came up with nothing. It will be here on March 1st so when I get it I will surely be posting what I think of it in regards to animating/modeling in ZBrush, Max, or Maya.
St. Louis, Missouri

Old 02 February 2013   #2
my only concern is the built in graphics... the HD4000, while decent for general laptop use, may be an issue with heavy 3D work.

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread