Old 02-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
oceanclip
Veteran
portfolio
Richard
Greater London, United Kingdom

Question Hard Disk usage

Hello,

I just wanted to get some clarification on Hard disk usage, the more files stored on a drive, the slower the system gets over time? How does processor speed and Random Access memory fit into that?

I have a 111GB hard drive with a pentium 4 processor, and 1.5GB of RAM, if more than half is in use, the system slows down especially on the user account most of the files have been stored in?

Old 02-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

what is the operating system?

most older (up to windows 7)... did a very poor job of disk maintenance (keeping the files from being defragmented).

from windows 7 on, they integrated a bit better system, so it was very rare when you actually needed to defragment the system. windows 8 has been great so far.. no additional tools required so far for me.

my suggestion, if it's a windows system.. clean out your temporary files and other crap (not sure if you have disk clean or not, you didn't really tell us what OS you have).

then run check disk, reboot, and run defrag.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

i think the problem is your RAM. 1.5 GB (weird amount) of RAM is not much for any modern OS. You should have at 4 to 8 for Photoshop work and 12-16 for 3D.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanclip
Hello,

I just wanted to get some clarification on Hard disk usage, the more files stored on a drive, the slower the system gets over time? How does processor speed and Random Access memory fit into that?

I have a 111GB hard drive with a pentium 4 processor, and 1.5GB of RAM, if more than half is in use, the system slows down especially on the user account most of the files have been stored in?

Given the spec of your machine, the number of files on the harddrive would be the least of your worries. 1.5 gigs of ram is a tiny amount, unless youre using it for nothing more than email and web browsing, the ram will be constantly full (youre not doing 3d on this machine... are you?) which means it will be churning away at your harddrive all the time.

So whilst the number of files on a drive doesnt affect the speed, if the drive is nearly full, the virtual memory / page file will potentially be fragmented and scattered all over the drive.

Assuming upgrading isnt an option (though realistically, a 300 budget laptop would be several times faster than your machine) The best you can do is trim off any apps and running programs you dont need. Check your system tray on the bottom right, it should be mostly empty for an efficient system. If its full of stuff like QT agent, virus checkers, adobe updater, soundcard control panels then get rid of them. Uninstall them, disable them from startup in the prefs, or if need be:

press windows + R
type in msconfig
under the startup tab, disable anything you dont need

Run windows defrag tool, im assuming you must surely be on windows 98/2k/xp here?

Old 02-14-2013, 01:05 AM   #5
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeige
i think the problem is your RAM. 1.5 GB (weird amount) of RAM is not much for any modern OS. You should have at 4 to 8 for Photoshop work and 12-16 for 3D.

Read the original post carefully, he says he has a P4. That's a Q4 2000 CPU that didn't even have 64bit instruction sets, let alone the surrounding architecture to handle 12-16GB of RAM

The instruction sets (only) were moved to 64 for the top of the line ones in 2004, but to my knowledge the standard single CPU P4 never had mobos made for it that could handle a double digit number of GBs worth of RAM.

And 12-16GB for 3D work is on the high end of things to be honest, 90% of the work that isn't heavy on the rendering or sim side fits comfortably within 4-6 with Maya or Soft. I do most of my work at home fine with 6 since I had to fish some bad modules out, haven't bothered upgrading back yet.
That's sort of beside the point though.

Anyway...
@OP what OS, what config and all?
It's such an old machine that it's hard to even guess what you might or might not have on it.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 02-14-2013, 06:08 AM   #6
poshwebdeveloper

hi to all,
there are several reason for speed down for copy it may be if you have installed more software then problem may occure to slow down your pc.
Thanx

Old 02-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
oceanclip
Veteran
portfolio
Richard

As my signaure indicates I'm not a 3D artist as such.

I was talking in general, as I'm one of three users on this old system, my brother is a photography student. His images took up 20GB until I said to him to get a external hard drive, which he did.

And yes, I have done defragmentation, disk clean up. I think you're right about the RAM, you need more of that memory for a bloated hard drive. I remember the days,weeks, months nine years ago when the system would load fine because no more than 15GB would be used up. Currently as of now, it's about half way, it was even more before. But we also have five games on the system, his being one of them Medieval war or whatever, which is 12GB.

I use photoshop 7 occassionally, he uses CS5.

It's too many files cluttered on one system.

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/520/diskhd.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Disk.JPG (54.2 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by oceanclip : 02-14-2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Added hyperlink image from Imageshack.us

Old 02-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Files on a drive dont slow a system down, not until it reaches near capacity.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:13 AM   #9
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

i'm impressed you're actually able to run CS5 on that thing...

you know, with only 1.5GB of ram... running anything other then an email package, or gimp is going to be hard knocks... and honestly that's about the limits of the P4.

like i said, clean it up... uninstall any junk services you got running in the background.. clean out the "startup" folder... defrag, etc.

otherwise, its' time for a fresh install. seriously. you'll waste more time trying to get it running better, then just backing up important data, and formatting/ reinstall the OS fresh. we use to do that all the time back with XP / 2000.

"system slow?.. reimaged" and that was the context of our service tickets back in the day.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
oceanclip
Veteran
portfolio
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswalk
i'm impressed you're actually able to run CS5 on that thing...

you know, with only 1.5GB of ram... running anything other then an email package, or gimp is going to be hard knocks... and honestly that's about the limits of the P4.

like i said, clean it up... uninstall any junk services you got running in the background.. clean out the "startup" folder... defrag, etc.

otherwise, its' time for a fresh install. seriously. you'll waste more time trying to get it running better, then just backing up important data, and formatting/ reinstall the OS fresh. we use to do that all the time back with XP / 2000.

"system slow?.. reimaged" and that was the context of our service tickets back in the day.

I haven't used it, but it works okay according to my brother. On my brother's account it loads Steam, Tenda wireless utility we don't use it anymore, and Live Messenger. I used to also have a bluetooth adapter software and Active syn for an old Pocket pc, which only at the end of last year I broke by accident as I moved my bed towards the wall and bang! It cracked! They would both load up, in the background, the bluetooth device would always search for a connector as I never left it installed in the port.

On my account it loads that except for Steam, I think he installed in his documents folder.

We had used the drive all the way up to ninety gigabytes a year back. That was the highest, I believe it certainly was slow.

I mean for me, it isn't such a big deal. It takes thirty seconds to boot, and then about a minute or two for the system to log on and calm down.

It was mainly my brother's side of the disk that seams to cause the problem. And we only defraged the system at the end of the last year, etc

Personally I don't see any real need to do any reinstallation, I think this is the longest I have had it, I might be wrong. Have done reinstallations in the past, but those were years ago. One in 2011, 2010, 2008. I don't remember before that. May be 2005, December.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread