Optimise Quadro 4000 performance

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Optimise Quadro 4000 performance

I just tried my new Quadro 4000 for Mac on the Windows 7 side. I tried a render in Maya 2013 and actually, to be honest, I didn't even saw a difference than what my previous GeForce GT 120 did.. In fact, while just browsing around I don't see any difference (Though on the Mac side, open pages on internet seemed faster since I installed the Quadro 4000..)

So yea, any reason you can see why it doesn't seems to have a difference? I actually downloaded the lastest drivers on the Windows side, but nothing seems to change on the performance side.

EDIT: Alright, I just tried both cards separately. I made the EXACT SAME RENDER with the Quadro 4000 and the GeForce GT 120, and both did the render in 25 seconds.. I guess there is a problem here, I can't beleive I paid $800+ for nothing better.

Old 02 February 2013   #2
In short: It only accelerate geometry in the viewport. rendering is only don on the CPU.
You are clearly new to this, why did you buy a professional card if you had no clue what it was for and what it did for you?

it will shine when you start to do animation, it is able to turn more geometry in the viewport then the g120 without choking.

Last edited by Pandusen : 02 February 2013 at 04:19 AM.

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Originally Posted by NoxLupi: In short: It only accelerate geometry in the viewport. rendering is only don on the CPU.
You are clearly new to this, why did you buy a professional card if you had no clue what it was for and what it did for you?

it will shine when you start to do animation, it is able to turn more geometry in the viewport then the g120 without choking.

Wow, seriously? Ok, so by far the graphic card is only good for what I see live in Maya?
Talking about rendering, what can I do to accelerate my render times, you talked about CPU, what's that exactly?

Old 02 February 2013   #4
Hey man,

Please don't take this as an insult, but it would really help if you read through something like this.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/pc.htm

You might want to send back the card if you have a return policy. If your in need of more Mental Ray performance, you might want to look at buying a separate PC just for rendering.

-AJ

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Originally Posted by AJ1: Hey man,

Please don't take this as an insult, but it would really help if you read through something like this.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/pc.htm

You might want to send back the card if you have a return policy. If your in need of more Mental Ray performance, you might want to look at buying a separate PC just for rendering.

-AJ

Ahah, yeah thanks for the read, I actually red some about this on Wikipedia after the other guy posted about CPU.

Yea, actually I think might keep the Graphic card since it still bring help I needed (like animation for example + I wanted a 2nd screen so it'll help me here), but at the same time, I guess I can get something that'll fit to me for way lower..

But yea, about the renders, as I red, it looks better to get a couple of separate CPU than one big (render pharm).

Old 02 February 2013   #6
Congratulations, you just spent $800 on an outdated gfx card that even when it was new, didnt make anything faster. Didnt you google this thing before you bought it?...

It doesnt even give you a second screen, your GT 120 card already had 2 screen connections on it. If I were you, i'd sell it as soon as possible and hope you get some of your money back.

Old 02 February 2013   #7
Originally Posted by imashination: Congratulations, you just spent $800 on an outdated gfx card that even when it was new, didnt make anything faster. Didnt you google this thing before you bought it?...

It doesnt even give you a second screen, your GT 120 card already had 2 screen connections on it. If I were you, i'd sell it as soon as possible and hope you get some of your money back.

Dude, let me know in what your post help me except being arrogant? I can actully return the card and getting fully refund for still 30 days. From what people told me, it was what I needed and I got no clue that it didn't helped the render time. Now I know and I'll not made the same mistake twice. Please don't post this kind of reply until it is constructive and help the OP, instead of adding useless infos.

Old 02 February 2013   #8
Originally Posted by BrioBriss: Dude, let me know in what your post help me except being arrogant? I can actully return the card and getting fully refund for still 30 days. From what people told me, it was what I needed and I got no clue that it didn't helped the render time. Now I know and I'll not made the same mistake twice. Please don't post this kind of reply until it is constructive and help the OP, instead of adding useless infos.

Hey man,

Just let it slide...

Could you offer a few more bits of info about your situation so we could better help you?

-Is there a reason your using Windows? Maya runs great on OSX.

-What are the specs on your Mac Pro?

-Do you fell your work is hampered by your slow viewport performance? Do you know how to do a playblast?

-Do you find yourself launching Mental Ray renders, and having to wait on them? Do you know how to command line render or use backburner?

-Is $800 dollars a large investment for you? If your really short on cash, I would recommend that you send that card back. But I understand that there are those who are far wealthier than I, and $800 is no big deal .

-AJ

Old 02 February 2013   #9
Originally Posted by AJ1: Hey man,

Just let it slide...

Could you offer a few more bits of info about your situation so we could better help you?

-Is there a reason your using Windows? Maya runs great on OSX.

-What are the specs on your Mac Pro?

-Do you fell your work is hampered by your slow viewport performance? Do you know how to do a playblast?

-Do you find yourself launching Mental Ray renders, and having to wait on them? Do you know how to command line render or use backburner?

-Is $800 dollars a large investment for you? If your really short on cash, I would recommend that you send that card back. But I understand that there are those who are far wealthier than I, and $800 is no big deal .

-AJ

Ahah thanks man

Yea, actually I was looking to upgrade the CPU on my Mac Pro after all this yesterday. Then I found it to be pretty much expensive and limited due to the Mac only restriction. So I talked to a friend and I came to the decision we'll built an Hackintosh since he already built one, it'll be my best deal to get exactly what I want. My real big deal was to get slow render time, view port wasn't that much a problem for me, so instead of getting restricted with the 4.1 Mac Pro, I'll choose what I want and built it with the power I need.

I'm actually using Windows 7 for work because it's what they use at school and I find it better for work in both Maya and Adobe collection. (open unlimited Maya project at the same time etc etc).

And about the card lol I got approved to getting refund and I'll ship it tomorrow. I bet it just helped me to open my eyes on what I really needed.

Thanks for keeping in toutch, I appreciate it

Old 02 February 2013   #10
Hey man,

No problem. If your down with Windows and your not tied to OSX for Final Cut Pro or existing licences, you could probably just get a regular PC. Running Windows on a Mac through a virtual machine is not efficient, and you'll take a big performance hit.

You could grab something from Dell, HP, or Lenovo, or have your PC building friend snap something together for you. If its just going to be a render slave, you wouldn't even need to get a GPU. You could set it up with Backburner or another render manager, and control it from your Mac workstation. Macs and Windows machines get a long just fine, and there's no reason you cant mix.

-AJ

Old 02 February 2013   #11
Originally Posted by BrioBriss: Dude, let me know in what your post help me except being arrogant? I can actully return the card and getting fully refund for still 30 days.

Telling you you wasted your money and should try to get as much money back as you possibly can, is the best advice anyone could give you given the circumstances.

From what people told me, it was what I needed and I got no clue that it didn't helped the render time.

I was more taken aback that you'd spend just shy of a grand on hardware without typing into google: "does a quadro improve render speed". Whereupon you would find the entire first page of results would tell you no.

Old 02 February 2013   #12
Originally Posted by BrioBriss: Dude, let me know in what your post help me except being arrogant? I can actully return the card and getting fully refund for still 30 days. From what people told me, it was what I needed and I got no clue that it didn't helped the render time. Now I know and I'll not made the same mistake twice. Please don't post this kind of reply until it is constructive and help the OP, instead of adding useless infos.

Mash's reply might have been a bit coarse, but he was both helping and giving you a fairly solid piece of advice.
I don't know who the people who gave you advice are, but they probably aren't that familiar or clued with the relationship between hardware and DCC software.

You are also over simplifying to your damage again assuming the videocard will speed up the entirety of your "live" experience.

A videocard won't necessarily be accelerating much for animation. More often than not, at least with a skinned character, the CPU/Bus/Cache tend to be the bottleneck to the fps of a rig. Videocards have long exceeded the requirments to draw a few thousand triangles several times per second, it's usually evaluating and pulling the graph that lags it below the par.

Old 02 February 2013   #13
I'm actually using Windows 7 for work because it's what they use at school and I find it better for work in both Maya and Adobe collection. (open unlimited Maya project at the same time etc etc).

While Maya's viewport is faster in Windows, the OS X is actually faster for rendering in mental ray and Photoshop is faster in OS X as well. I've benchmarked it more than once:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012...muscle-ahead/5/

http://polygonspixelsandpaint.tumbl...post/3353016788

The Quadro 4000 is definitely better in Windows and Linux (I've reviewed the Mac card and own the PC one as well) but rendering will take longer on Windows. This is confirmed by others here – not just me. Don't let the snappiness of the viewport mislead you into thinking the Windows side is just faster.

Last edited by cgbeige : 02 February 2013 at 04:50 AM.

Old 02 February 2013   #14
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread