Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-05-2013, 03:58 AM   #1
mobkon
Frequenter

portfolio
J T
USA

Should I go for the 8 core CPU or 4 core?

I've just recently upgraded my whole system (on a budget) and I'm debating on a AMD CPU as my new mobo is an AMD board. I was originally going to go with the AMD FX8150, but now I'm second guessing myself. I will mainly be using my system for Maya, After Effects, Photoshop, Video Editing and some light gaming.

I've been looking into the Phenom II X4 965 BE as it's $95 with free shipping from newegg. Only issue is this is almost a 4 year old CPU and starting to get dated. But from what I've read, people still buy it and swear by it.

For my needs, what would be a good AMD chip to go with? Do I need the 8 cores? Should I get the FX6300 6 core chip (which I read isn't a real 6 cores)? Or splurge the extra money and go for the FX8150?

Will I notice a HUGE difference between the Phenom 965 and the FX6100/6300/8150?

I'm not one to be too picky and really care about small details. Just a chip that's going to run my system smoothly and handle HD video and rendering with ease.

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
cdenny
Veteran
portfolio
cd
USA

If you're going to get a new AMD cpu dont get the 8150, get the new 8350. It's 189.
Look up benchmarks if you're interested, but I'm pretty sure the 965 would score 5.5 max on Cinebench whereas an overclocked 8350 scores 8-9.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread