Windows 7 or 8?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Windows 7 or 8?

Hello!
So I just ordered a new computer a few days ago; Intel 3930k, Nvidia GTX 670 and some other stuff. I've researched lots and I think the build is pretty solid, but this is not about the hardware. Rather the operating system.

I've used Mac and OS X for about as long as I can remember, only sporadically using Windows when I've had no other option. And that is where I am now, buying a PC and all. I guess Linux maybe could be an option, being more like OS X and all.. But I'm more familiar with Windows than Linux, and the former being more compatible with, well everything, I guess thats the less painful road to get everything up and running.

So! The question: Should I get Windows 7 or 8 (Professional version for both)? I'm a student so I can pick whatever for the price of 2-3 beers, so thats okay.

I will be mainly running Maya with Vray, and of course Adobe PS and AE - maybe some Nuke. I'm thinking that Windows 7 probably would be the wiser choice, since its been out for quite a while and everything should be compatible and run fine on it. Probably more stable as an operating system as a whole. But then again, Windows 8 is quite new and maybe brings something good to the table? Or is it just a pain right now, with software not supporting it yet and all those lovely Windows bugs?

I almost feel like I'm answering my own question here, but to keep it simple: Is there any reason at all to pick Windows 8 over 7?

01 January 2013
Windows 7 for now.
Win 8 isn't fully supported yet for most products -- you can probably make the change-over this time next year and by that time Microsoft will have tweaked/polished Win 8 further such that you get to skip any issues/bugs that are occurring on it now.
Just my opinion, though.

01 January 2013
I've had zero issues with windows 8 so far... been running maya 2013 for a while on it along with photoshop cs3, sketchbook pro and various other utilities that do not have windows 8 specific support only windows 7.

The only time I ran into an issue was with visual studio 2012 and I tried to compile a DLL that was dependent on some old redistribution... I had to grab an older .NET version and installing them worked fine, so I've got 2005, 2008 and 2010 VC++ stuff recompiled w/o a problem along with .NET 3.5 and some other junk.

The real kick is making sure you have hardware drivers for your stuff... so, if you got a flatbed scanner from 1995, you might have problems.

of course, your milage may vary... but if it costs that little why not throw in a couple more beers and get both. i would.

01 January 2013
very annoying flicker in Photoshop cs6- see forums. The reason why I didn't upgrade after using preview. Their solution was to turn off advanced gpu features, then u can't rotate, use advanced features and so on.

01 January 2013
I would stick with 7 and instead consider using 9 when it's released

01 January 2013
Thanks for your input guys! I actually ended up getting W8 anyway, I guess partly because I'm a sucker for new and shiny stuff.. Anyway, everything works really well I must say. Maya, Vray, Phoenix FD, PS, AE - everything worked from the get-go without any trouble at all. The flicker in PS mentioned above I haven't noticed at all, so that problem may not exist anymore (?).

One thing I was bummed about though was the lack of the Start-button, being a novice Windows user without that button was quite confusing. I solved that with installing a program called StartIsBack, and it's basically like using W7 now.

02 February 2013
I promise you that if you let the "button" go for a week, you will not miss it at all.. just think of the new "start screen" as a giant side scrolling start button with some new features.

anyway, glad it's working for you... CK was using preview/beta version which had more bugs then a NY subway bathroom.

02 February 2013
True- True- but I have researched it more when getting my laptop recently which I love, but according to forums at ADOBE this issue that I had was still an issue for many- The issue was screwy and irritating enough to dissuade me- imagine every time you take a stroke in PS the background (The negative area around your canvas) flickers. Then Adobe and MS's answer to the problem is just to disable all of the advanced features- Then why even bother upgrading to the latest ps?

HOPEFULLY it was cleared up= I for one will wait for 9 because they're already talking about releasing it- reminds me of Vista to 7.

02 February 2013
Any REASON for WIN 8?
I would like to hear it

02 February 2013
From my own experience I can't think of a specific reason to upgrade - but on the other hand, I can't think of a specific reason not to either. There is not much new other than the graphical appearance really, from what I've noticed so far. I read somewhere though that it handles memory much more efficient, so if you're low on RAM that could potentially be a reason.

I do feel like W8 is quite fast and snappy, but that could simply be because I'm running it off an SSD - where as I've only run W7 on traditional harddrives before.

So if you already are on W7 - probably not worth it. If you are using OS X, Linux or older Win - why not? Granted that you aren't relying on older software that isn't compatible.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread