Need to buy a Mac for Maya

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
I'm looking at this right now (support is great) http://www.avadirect.com/

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by hensleyb: Now I'm on the fence again. PC users, if you had around $3,500 USD to spend on a machine, what would you buy?

Don't do it. You'll regret it.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by DutchDimension: Don't do it. You'll regret it.

Im pretty sure he wont... OS fights are silly anyway. Ppl take this stuff way to personal.

He always could just get the same parts that are in a mac while assembling his pc. So in case he doesnt like windows 7 he could always install mac os on it

01 January 2013
From my experience what you custom built and what professional built is not the same, and he can always install windows on mac, it ran very smoothly.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by LuckyBug: From my experience what you custom built and what professional built is not the same, and he can always install windows on mac, it ran very smoothly.

But costs twice as much

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by LuckyBug: From my experience what you custom built and what professional built is not the same...

And what would that difference be (apart from support perhaps)?

01 January 2013
For gaming PC's no difference, for workstations better to get them from a vendor due to the component costs and config. In other words you wont save much money on a workstation by building it yourself so may as well get one professionally built.

You could probably get a used workstation class PC for very little cash from HP, Dell, Lenovo etc to tide you over for a year. If you try to do serious work on a Mac mini you will regret it!

Last edited by conbom : 01 January 2013 at 01:00 AM.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by DutchDimension: Don't do it. You'll regret it.

DutchDimension, did you have a bad experience switching to PC?

01 January 2013
The only possible problem that can come from a custom PC is if you receive a part that's not working. I've personally never had that happen in all the builds I've done, usually as long as you choose a well-reviewed part from Newegg then you can't go wrong. That being said, there will probably be at least one person on there that got a DOA part.

Also, when building yourself, you usually get a better warranty deal. The individual parts have a much higher warranty than when you buy a whole computer, and if you get a problem with a part you can just send in that part instead of having to take in the whole computer, so if you needed to you could get a replacement part while waiting for the broken part to be taken care of. Though of course you have no coverage if you damage the parts yourself.

01 January 2013
1. Don't post hardware threads in General Discussions.
2. Don't post Mac versus PC troll bait.

Thread Closed share thread