Need to buy a Mac for Maya

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Need to buy a Mac for Maya

Here's my delima. I need to buy a Mac by February 1st. I really don't want to buy a new Mac Pro because Apple is supposed to be releasing new models later this year. I'm thinking about:

A) buying a Used 2010 8 core Mac Pro
B) buy a new iMac and then selling it when the new Mac Pros come out
C) buy a new Mac mini to hold me over until mid year, then use it as a render machine

What do you think I should do?

Thanks in advance,
Brad

01 January 2013
My advice, buy the 2010 system, you can later use it as an additional render engine.
www.perryshulakcreative.com

01 January 2013
Buy a PC instead.

01 January 2013
Thanks PerryDS.

Artbot, I've considered it. I used to work on PCs back in the windows NT days. I was constantly updating drivers and fixing bugs. It was a real waist of time. Is that no longer the case?

01 January 2013
For someone not doing anything weird, then it would work as well as working on Mac. If you want to get into gaming you can run into problems, but for 3D programs there's not much issue. Windows 7 is quite stable and does a good job of keeping up to date.
It'd be worth considering since you could get more power for the amount you want to spend.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by hensleyb: Here's my delima. I need to buy a Mac by February 1st. I really don't want to buy a new Mac Pro because Apple is supposed to be releasing new models later this year. I'm thinking about:

A) buying a Used 2010 8 core Mac Pro
B) buy a new iMac and then selling it when the new Mac Pros come out
C) buy a new Mac mini to hold me over until mid year, then use it as a render machine

What do you think I should do?

Thanks in advance,
Brad

What are you looking to do? If it's just a spot of modelling for the time being, a Mini will do just fine. They are remarkably capable. If you're looking to do heavier stuff, like simulations and rendering, see about getting an older refurb Mac Pro from the online Apple store.

01 January 2013
DutchDimension, Thanks for your reply. I'm a 3D generalist so I do a little of everything. I just got laid off and I have the opportunity to support some of the clients from the company because they no longer off 3D services. By the way, I was using a Mac Pro 2.8 GHz 8 core with 10 gigs of RAM. I guess I'm going to go with a used 8 core unless someone has a better option.

Thanks again to everyone for weighing on in this.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by hensleyb: Thanks PerryDS.

Artbot, I've considered it. I used to work on PCs back in the windows NT days. I was constantly updating drivers and fixing bugs. It was a real waist of time. Is that no longer the case?

Yes that is no longer the case. I would buy a PC and save money.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by hensleyb: Artbot, I've considered it. I used to work on PCs back in the windows NT days. I was constantly updating drivers and fixing bugs. It was a real waist of time. Is that no longer the case?

Windows 7 is stable, reliable & easy to use.

It doesn't have much in common at all with the bad old days of Windows NT (which was a server OS, more than a decent desktop/workstation OS to begin with).

I use Win 7 without any special antivirus software, and so far, no significant spyware/malware infections have occurred either.

01 January 2013
Ditto for a PC/Win7. Freedom to build your own machine according to your own needs without having to spend enough to buy a small car for the same hardware or inferior is also a plus. With the saved money you could, i.e, setup a gigabit network at home

01 January 2013
Now I'm on the fence again. PC users, if you had around $3,500 USD to spend on a machine, what would you buy?

01 January 2013
I would go for something like an i7 3930k processor which I would think is faster than the dual Xeons in current Mac Pro's. You could max out on memory, you could even get a Quadro 4000 if you wanted or one of the best gaming graphics cards. That type of system wouldn't even cost $3,500 though.

You could even do a dual processor workstation system with newer Xeons, like a LGA 2011 system with dual six-core processors would be within your range I think.

01 January 2013
for that money...3 computers with i7-3930 (12 threads) with 32-64GB RAM, one as ws, rest for rendering.
Or 5-6 computers with i7-2600k + o/c.
or one dual xeon (24 threads) if you run fluid sims...

01 January 2013
Just be sure to get windows 7 x64 and not windows 8!

01 January 2013
Sounds good. I'm not a build your own computer kind of guy. Where would you recommend I order a prebuilt machine?

Thread Closed share thread