CGTalk > Technical > Technical and Hardware
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 01-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
og_reborn
full uh beans

Adam Singer
USA

New model of Cintiq alternative looks promising?

Apologies if this is already posted... Anyone used one of these second-generation models yet? Looks very promising.

Quote:
I wished that someone could pair the underlying, fantastic UC Logic digitizer tech with a tablet monitor enclosure. I even bought some hardware to try and make my own. But now I donít have to. Yiynova must have been listening. The MSP19U is a second generation product that jettisons the inferior Waltop digitizers of the first model and replaces them with UC Logic internals.

Does the pairing live up to the sum potential of its disparate parts? Can a relatively unknown $569 tablet monitor compete with a $1999 Wacom Cintiq? Yes, it competes. It even bests the Cintiq in a few key areas. But Iím jumping ahead.

Full review here

Old 01-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
LuckyBug
Building worlds

portfolio
Star Lord
DMP Environment Artist
MPC London
London, United%2BKingdom

I'm hoping that this will work, not just because of the price but because wacom deserves some competition on the market.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Wow, just $500 on buy.com. Would love to see more feedback on this unit here.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

the stand looks about as usless as the Wacom ones...

Old 01-07-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBug
I'm hoping that this will work, not just because of the price but because wacom deserves some competition on the market.

Exactly. There is no reason for Cintiq to be so grossly overpriced other than wacom taking advantage of customers due to there being no competition.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
evolucian
Lurkmeister
portfolio
Lulu
Compositor
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory
Exactly. There is no reason for Cintiq to be so grossly overpriced other than wacom taking advantage of customers due to there being no competition.

you'd probably see cintiqs selling at $800 if the market was as saturated as TVs and cells, but its not gonna happen anytime soon.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:59 AM   #7
balistic
wacom jock

portfolio
Brian Prince
Sr. 3D Artist
IGT
Reno, USA

To be fair to Wacom, the IPS panel in a Cintiq probably spanks the (what sounds like a) TN panel in this cheap tablet, but even so ... this sounds like the first real competition Wacom has faced in the 13 years I've been using tablets.

I'm sorely tempted to try out the 9x12" screenless Monoprice tablet built on the same digitizer, because at $80, why the hell not?

And the fact that replacement pens are $8 instead of $60 ... man ... 52$ buys a lot of AA batteries

Old 01-08-2013, 01:08 AM   #8
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Here are a ton of youtube videos showing it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...c.1.DH_9t9ZjZZw

Having owned a Cintiq 21" in the past I see no difference whatsoever between this and the cintiq as far as usability goes. Definitely getting one of these sometime this year.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
r0b3030
Veteran

portfolio
Rob M.
graduate student
Rochester Institute of Technology [ R.I.T.]
Rochester, USA

i agree.........

Thanx for the info here, I'm MUCHO interested in this development.
And like everyone else, i have to agree:

Wacom seems to have been sitting in a cozy, lazy position over the years;

I'm probly an old geezer compared to most of u here--was using Wacom tablets/pens as far back as early/mid 90s.
It's felt as if Wacom has had an attitude of
slightly *pushing* artists toward upgrades a bit too often.

Like the comment above: "..the fact that replacement pens are $8 instead of $60"--
I think that makes it clear..

Also, I've had the experience of dealing w/ a Wacom rep who was otherwise very helpful & sincere,

yet gave me a bit too much of the "suggest you upgrade to the new tablet__[fill in the blank w/ the model name/number]"
--even though my current tablet was only a year or 2 old.

As if digital artists, typically struggling to make a living while dealing w/ constant software & hardware costs/upgrades,,
outta be jazz'd about even MORE MERRY-Go-Grounds with hardware.

meh.

I don't want to paint them as a bad company, however it's clear that every serious digital artist & studio & post-production house
on the planet owns some amount of Wacom hardware.
they just don't have an excuse for hefty pricing as if it's still 1990's R&D budgets.

And they *must* read forums like these--so what the heck are they thinking??

I recall being excited by the wacom pen that was included with the google tablet a few months ago,

so perhaps jumping into the google-sphere will get wacom to think differently but who knows.

Like everyone here, i'm happy to see this new hardware & that may be the only thing that helps Wacom's bean-counters realize
that they don't own the CG market anymore.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

It's an issue, I don't know if there's a solution. Wacom owns the patent for their pen technology and that's really where the issue lies, this tablet uses something else (the pen has a battery).

Wacom doesn't have any competition which is why they are so expensive. Plus that's also why they don't innovate much. Take for instance the 12" Cintiq, which came out many years ago yet it's still part of their product line (at the same cost as when it originally came out) and it wasn't considered all that great when it came out in the first place.

I wonder though, if some unknown company like this can produce something at this level why can't some other company like Samsung or 3M do even better? Is this tablet getting around the Wacom patent or are they just not well known enough for Wacom to care?

Old 01-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
EricM
Expert
Eric Marodon

Speaking of which I received this also :
http://www.pen-touch.com/kingtee_14wa.html

2nd generation of Bosco Kingtee, with pretty good specs and lots of configurable buttons.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #12
paintbox
Waiting for pixels to dry

portfolio
PT PT
Artist / Illustrator
Intergalactic Freelancer
Netherlands

The reason larger companies don't jump on this market is that it is probably such a small segment that isn't interesting for them. It is for a small and agile electronics company, it's even more interesting for them if you can steal some thunder (and money) from the overpriced monopolist.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #13
paintbox
Waiting for pixels to dry

portfolio
PT PT
Artist / Illustrator
Intergalactic Freelancer
Netherlands

The reason I am being cautious is that there have been a lot of competitors in the past, like Genius and tons of other brands, but they all delivered sub-standard or unusable products. But this does look good and I am happy there is serious competition building!

Old 01-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #14
CKPinson
Expert

portfolio
CK Pinson
Network ADMIN
Govt
West Palm Beach, USA

Send a message via MSN to CKPinson
Crayola ColorStudio HD - iMarker Digital Stylus + App for iPad

LOL

http://ces.cnet.com/2300-34441_1-10015237-14.html

Old 01-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #15
AangtheAvatar
Banned
portfolio
Aang Airbender
Air Temple, USA

I want a Yiynova. They also have a cheaper 10.5 inch version for 299.
It is about time cintiq had competition. Touch technology is old and there is no real reason why the cintiq should cost so much. Yeah I know it is like a Mercedes in performance but my Kia Optima looks like a Mercedes and can get me to the same place at the same amount of time and I don't have to pay that premium price. Same should be true of tablets. I'm glad the monopoly is over. I wonder how wacom feels about it. You know I have never heard them reply about the expense complaint.

Thread Closed share thread