Question regarding Dell pro vs consumer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Quote: You think 32GB running at 1333mhz or 16GB at 1600mhz? I figured the more the merrier? Especially for large res PS painting etc.

i bought my memory separately and went with the 16gb at 1600mhz because it was the more affordable option at the time.

01 January 2013
following my tracking- will be delivered tomorrow!!! Excited LOL! Was shopping Newegg for Ram and SSD. Ram is dirt cheap now so either will work just not sure if A. 32GB is overkill and if it's bad to max system RAM B. what will performance differences really amount to? If I work in large PSD files which will be more important. I'm leaning towards 32 but even in my desktop I have it maxed out to 24GB (highest it supports) but have honestly been having issues that are either of the ram or image variety, just haven't had time to really troubleshoot.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by CKPinson: following my tracking- will be delivered tomorrow!!! Excited LOL! Was shopping Newegg for Ram and SSD. Ram is dirt cheap now so either will work just not sure if A. 32GB is overkill and if it's bad to max system RAM B. what will performance differences really amount to? If I work in large PSD files which will be more important. I'm leaning towards 32 but even in my desktop I have it maxed out to 24GB (highest it supports) but have honestly been having issues that are either of the ram or image variety, just haven't had time to really troubleshoot.

i'ld max it out... your right, it's so cheap right now, you can't really go wrong there.

01 January 2013
when you get your laptop make sure everything works. i am getting the mobo in mine replaced tomorrow because the optimus feature is missing from the bios.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by DuttyFoot: when you get your laptop make sure everything works. i am getting the mobo in mine replaced tomorrow because the optimus feature is missing from the bios.

what the... how in the heck did that get past QC!

01 January 2013
As in the auto switch between gpu and cpu isn't working? I'll prob disable it so I don't use the cpu most of the time but will need it some on trips- thanks- I do check thru this stuff. I work pretty closely with the Dell Techs that come thru my work so I'm sure I could get a hook up if need be although I'd prefer to have everything working fine.

QC is checking the quality of a few items in a lot. Things get thru-

Well have a large Dell contract- Last Lot we had (120 workstations and many laptops) prob 1/4 were defective in some way (bad CD/DVD drive, Bad GPU, Bad RAM or HDD etc).

We also get Macs just not as many but we have gotten defective mac gear too- less often but also much less equipment.

At any rate- looking forward to it- glad i went with the 17incher!

FYI- Took half the ram out of my PC now have 12GB and haven't BSODed me since (Mem Dump) Hopefully it was just one of those basterds that was choking.

Last edited by CKPinson : 01 January 2013 at 01:21 AM.

01 January 2013
Just got it and I gotta say DAM- It's big LOL!

01 January 2013
FYI:
Since the laptop tech has 2 GPU (Quad and CPU) it causes the GPU sniffer for Photoshop to crash thus neutering the GPU performance features such as 3D Mode

This is on Adobe's site:

Are you using more than one video card?
Multiple video adapters can cause problems with GPU-accelerated or enabled features in Photoshop. It's best to connect two (or more) monitors into one video adapter. If you have to use more than one video adapter, make sure that they are the same make and model.
Otherwise, crashes and other problems can occur in Photoshop.

Note: Using more than one video adapter does not enhance Photoshop's performance.

01 January 2013
OK, so testing Nvidia's driver vs Dell's.

Also- Optimus was in my bios and enabled- does say can only be enabled in WIN 7 32 and 64 since it's the only OS it works with.

Just an FYI . Are you using WIN 7?

Having a hell of a time getting photoshop to use my Quadro and not recognize the INTEL HD graphics. what happens is it checks your GPU performance then disables features for Intel.

01 January 2013
Quote: what the... how in the heck did that get past QC!

tech replaced my motherboard this morning and still no optimus setting in the bios. it still shows the lcd brightness only. the tech said i should probably call dell and let them know. i told him my co worker has a similar laptop so i dont see why the optimus feature is missing from mine. he said dell would be able to run the tag for each laptop to see what could be different between his and mine.

Quote: Also- Optimus was in my bios and enabled- does say can only be enabled in WIN 7 32 and 64 since it's the only OS it works with.

glad to hear that you see the optimus option. I am running windows 7 64bit on mine. I found a link to a site where someone was having issues using optimus and they went with a display link adapter. i think i will try that and see if i can get it to work.

http://www.displaylink.com/shop/adapters

01 January 2013
That is really strange that it's missing.

01 January 2013
ck, i heard not so great things about optimus for 3d work.

Take the time and read

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-optimus-bugs-/

01 January 2013
Bout to test Performance with Optimus disabled.
Tested and made no difference- still no 3d Menu tab although the update is installed and yes under the menus I have all the 3d tabs to set to visible. Interesting.
Also- uninstalled and installed vid drivers- question, do you use Nvidia or Dell vid drivers?

Added and removed the GPU-Sniffer for Photoshop- strange I like using the 3d features too.

Last edited by CKPinson : 01 January 2013 at 10:26 PM.

01 January 2013
Quote: That is really strange that it's missing.

The dell rep i worked with emailed me about the optimus issue and i told him that the motherboard swap changed nothing. he emailed me later and here is his response

Quote: After digging further we found the root of the cause. The optimus option will not be available on systems shipped with an rgb type lcd panel which this system was ordered with

to get a third monitor to work i purchased a sabrent display link adapter, i guess i dont have to worry about the optimus issue anymore.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by DuttyFoot: The dell rep i worked with emailed me about the optimus issue and i told him that the motherboard swap changed nothing. he emailed me later and here is his response

to get a third monitor to work i purchased a sabrent display link adapter, i guess i dont have to worry about the optimus issue anymore.

so... what other type of LCD panel could you possible get? a monochrome?

Thread Closed share thread