Old 11-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
Sunislandcloudsky
portfolio
Jonathan Thompson
Concept Artist
ATG
East Aurora, USA

Monitor options

I was looking to upgrade to both an ips monitor and the cintiq. What is the better complement for a cintiq, a single monitor or is the duel monitor setup still adventagious? I have been looking at the dell ultrasharp u3011 or two u2711's. I plan on doing both digital painting and animation.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
paintbox
Waiting for pixels to dry

portfolio
PT PT
Artist / Illustrator
Intergalactic Freelancer
Netherlands

Check out the new batch of LG IPS monitors, they won a few photojournalistic awards in the prosumer range) I bought one and I am extremely please with it.

I think single or dual set-up is largely preference. I like dual when doing video editing, but with painting I usually work with one monitor only.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
Sunislandcloudsky
portfolio
Jonathan Thompson
Concept Artist
ATG
East Aurora, USA

Thanks, I currently have an lg monitor. Will have to check it out.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
olson
Houdini|Python|Linux
portfolio
Luke Olson
Dallas, USA

There are lots of nice IPS monitors out there. The main advantage of a monitor like the U3011 is 10 bits per channel color. It might be overkill but it sure is a nice monitor.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

the new 27" Dell that's sRGB is the one I'd buy if I was on a budget. Wide gamut is still a problem for CG apps.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
olson
Houdini|Python|Linux
portfolio
Luke Olson
Dallas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeige
the new 27" Dell that's sRGB is the one I'd buy if I was on a budget. Wide gamut is still a problem for CG apps.

At least with the U3011 there are several different signal processing modes for the display. For example if you're working on something for the web you can use the sRGB mode which will limit the color output to just sRGB color space, there's one for Adobe RGB and a few others. It might be an issue with some other wide gamut monitors though.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:45 AM   #7
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

I'm not sure how that works but sRGB emulation modes aren't a good substitute for an actual sRGB gamut monitor since they can't usually be hardware calibrated under sRGB fake mode. I frequently need to calibrate for custom white points and brightness settings and my sRGB NEC 2490 WUXi screens are perfect for this mix of print needs and 3D apps like ZBrush or Mudbox that lack colour profile support.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:00 AM   #8
olson
Houdini|Python|Linux
portfolio
Luke Olson
Dallas, USA

Quote:
I'm not sure how that works but sRGB emulation modes aren't a good substitute for an actual sRGB gamut monitor since they can't usually be hardware calibrated under sRGB fake mode. I frequently need to calibrate for custom white points and brightness settings and my sRGB NEC 2490 WUXi screens are perfect for this mix of print needs and 3D apps like ZBrush or Mudbox that lack colour profile support.

The sRGB mode is factory calibrated per monitor, it's basically what you'd get if you software color calibrated for sRGB with the monitor set to use the straight signals. Each U3011 comes with a report of the color calibration for that specific unit. There's no "emulation" going on there.

If you want custom calibrations with software running on the machine you can set the monitor to use the straight signal and then calibrate it however you want with software. If you do this with an 8 bit per channel monitor there will be some banding depending on how far it needs to be calibrated, if you do it with a 10 bit per channel like the U3011 there will be no banding. Some color calibration software might not work well that way but if the software can use a system wide LUT (for example equalEyes) then it will do wonders with a 10 bit per channel monitor like the U3011.

I get what you're saying because for some folks the color workflow is different, but in a typical film or visual effects production environment the U3011 is exactly what you want. If you just want a sRGB capable monitor and don't want to think about the color workflow then an average 8 bit per channel monitor will do the trick.

Last edited by olson : 11-11-2012 at 05:16 AM.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:

That's the one my Dad is getting soon, and I bag his 24" Dell as soon as he gets the 27".

Old 11-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread