Old 10-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
dextervfx

portfolio
Dexter Alexandru Manea
Buzau, Romania

Send a message via MSN to dextervfx
Best windows version for stabilty?

Hello everybody!!
I`m Alex and I`m a 3D generalist,I work with maya,nuke,after effects and photoshop.What I want to know is what version of windows would be the most stable for working with these software packs(I`m a Mac user since I started working in VFX).

Thank you!!!

Old 10-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
bls
Frequenter
portfolio
Vassilis Kakoulantonakis
2d-3d artist
Athens, Greece

Send a message via MSN to bls
Windows7 is super stable OS and I heard that windows 8 will handle memory much better than windows7.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Windows 8 is really damn good from what I used so far. Faster and more stable than windows 7.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
TSchmiesing
Veteran

portfolio
Travis Schmiesing
San Francisco, USA

Go with Windows 7 Pro.

Never put a newly released version of Windows on your production machine. It will take at least 6 months until companies have fully updated their software for Windows 8 compatibility.

Also, Windows 8 has a different way of working than what Windows 7 does. I fully expect to see many companies reluctant to upgrade. I know I am sticking with 7 after using 8 for 3-4 hours.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

I had no stability problems with Win 7 right from the start. I hope Win 8 turns out the same, but it's to early to be able to tell.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:13 AM   #6
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

i'll be testing the following in the coming weeks and let people know my experiences if they're interested...

Maya2013, Mudbox2013, 3Dmax2012/2013, Sketchbook Pro 2011, and CS3

i just need to get my NAS updated and workstations backed-up first.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
Narann
Rendering, Pipeline, etc.

portfolio
Dorian FEVRIER
Lighting/Pipeline TD
Atelier Animation
Montreal, Canada

Win7 is extremely stable. I suppose Win8 too.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

I have been using Zbrush, Modo and Maya this week on Win 8 and it is extremely stable and it seems to run a bit faster than it did in win 7 probably because win 8 is more efficient in using ram.

Besides once you create new icons for the start screen it looks so nice

Old 10-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Win7 has been an extremely stable, well regarded release that got patched well over time.
Probably the only MS OS I actually found reliable since win2k (and a brief stretch of XP SP1).

Win8 seems to also have got its s*** together, but it's not as tested, and you have to put up with the love/hate UI. On a personal level, Win8 makes me want to put my fist clean through the monitor, so I'm sticking to 7 for as long as I can.

I would go for win7 for now for peace of mind. It's basically known to work and be reliable on all fronts you asked for. An eventual upgrade to 8 will be quick and cheap down the line if you feel the need to anyway.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 10-31-2012, 12:49 AM   #10
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

win 8 appears to be roughly 5% slower in a lot of programs
http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/softwa...ce-benchmarks/3

Though it boots faster and has a faster disk check utility

Old 10-31-2012, 02:05 AM   #11
olson
Houdini|Python|Linux
portfolio
Luke Olson
Dallas, USA

I have zero interest in Windows 8 personally. The idea of the "Metro" interface and a merging of desktop and tablet/phone platforms is a complete turn off. The principal of making the desktop interface into an application within "Metro" says a lot about where Windows is headed and who the intended audience is. Hopefully Windows 7 is the last version of Windows I'll ever need to purchase, especially with Steam coming to Linux. The only other thing I use Windows for is Photoshop which I'm doing less and less of these days as the raw photo processing tools in Linux improve every day.

The personal bias aside I'd stick with Windows 7 for a while (probably a year or so) because that's what current computer graphics programs are supported on. For example if you call up Autodesk or Adobe with issues they'll tell you tough luck if you're running Windows 8, at least until they release newer versions tested on Windows 8.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:31 AM   #12
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Yea, I ditched Windows XP on my home computer about 5 months ago. Installed Fedora and KDE on a SSD.

Gimp isn't as smooth as Photoshop, but it works just fine for cleaning up renders and putting together quick comps.

Maya runs ok, but there are some glitches here and there. It crashes every once in a while, but the good news is that it reboots in about 5 seconds.

The flexibility you have with KDE is nuts. With all the themes and widgets, you can make it look like whatever you want.

Apparently their working on KDE for windows, but the recent screen grabs I saw only show desktop widgets working.

But that being said, I might end up getting a copy of Windows 7. It seems to be the better option over XP.

-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 10-31-2012 at 03:34 AM.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:54 AM   #13
ChukChuk
Frequenter
portfolio
Chuk Chuk
United Kingdom

@Olson
The desktop isn't an application within metro. The best way to think of metro is an expanded start button.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #14
CKPinson
Expert

portfolio
CK Pinson
Network ADMIN
Govt
West Palm Beach, USA

Send a message via MSN to CKPinson
Windows 8 is easy enough once you learn where Admin tools are. Most of the same but just getting used to. For instance right click on Windows Start and there's most the admin stuff.
Create your own pins and what not.
The largest issue I have noticed with Windows 8 (Preview version still cuz I have to back everything up for the transition) is that Internet Explorer is neutered- When I launch BF3, which is web based, it locks up in IE but runs fine in Firefox- also alot of issues with several sites' runtime scripts- AND I AM NOT REFERRING TO THE EVEN MORE NEUTERED METRO IE.

performance wise: Maya, Mud, Mari and Photoshop all run great

Caveat for Photoshop is that the ATI drivers for Win8 don't play well- when GPU advanced settings operational I get an annoying background flicker while stroking it LOL- had to disable and run off CPU which hinders the canvas rotational feature useless. Hope it's updated soon.

All-in-All not a bad experience although overkill for desktop but if i had a touchscreen or had several devices in my house with Windows 8 (which is what M$ is banking on) then it'd be nice to jump onto another device that is setup exactly the same!

PS- Skydrive is the ISH! I've been backing up program installs, photos, music, vids and all have worked perfectly from the cloud.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:35 PM   #15
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

any issues running windows 8 with multiple monitors?

i'm still working on server 2012, and haven't done any tests yet outside of virtualbox with it.

Thread Closed share thread