Macbook Pro Retina or Origin EON15-S !!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2012
Yeah, i wish Mac was still geared towards professionals. They're moving away from it slowly. You cant customize anything!

07 July 2012
When bought with the desired RAM, SSD and CPU, there's really nothing left to upgrade in any notebook imo. And with a thunderbolt, there's always room for more and faster storage and other unusual hardware connectivity options that are still to come...

07 July 2012
ya, I just wish the HD was replaceable. I noticed that Apple lets you put 768GB of storage in the rMBP but it's shockingly expensive. I have a 120GB 6GB/s drive and a 750GB HD in my 2011 MBP and while the rMBP drive is a lot faster than the HD, it also adds $500 to the price and who knows what it will cost to replace once out of warranty? At least with the MacBook Air, it's a module, not soldered to the mobo, so you can buy 3rd party kits.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by cgbeige: At least with the MacBook Air, it's a module, not soldered to the mobo, so you can buy 3rd party kits.

It is also a module in the rMBP. It's the RAM that is soldered onto the mobo.

07 July 2012
ah shit. ok - I sit corrected. Then that's okay. 16GB of RAM is plenty for a laptop.

It will be interesting to see what OWC makes for it. They make great Mac products and I think the popularity of this machine (it's still backordered for weeks) will have others jump as well.

07 July 2012
For its not an issue since im maxing out any computer i buy. Good thing about the Sager is that you can change just about anything.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by cgbeige: ah shit. ok - I sit corrected. Then that's okay. 16GB of RAM is plenty for a laptop.

It will be interesting to see what OWC makes for it. They make great Mac products and I think the popularity of this machine (it's still backordered for weeks) will have others jump as well.

They're working on an Aura SSD upgrade similar to the one for the Air. There isn't much else upgradeable, but then again everything else on the machine is pretty much top end if you spec 16GB.

07 July 2012
My ASUS G53J has been doing great for anything I throw at it. The only aftermarket upgrade was on the RAM to a generous 14GB (would have been 16 but accessing the "hidden" RAM slot requires a lot of risky disassembly). Best part was the price, just an absolute bargain! If given the choice between one of the newer ASUS models with 4GB Nvidia GPUs and the new Retina Macbook Pros, the ASUS would win my purchase hands down. Now, I've heard nice things about Origin but in my years of experience, what it comes down to is that as long as it's good hardware, the only factor is pricing and reputation as far as company support goes.

However, if you are still invested in the OSX-side of things, then there's really no question, the Retina Macbook Pro is a significant leap from the previous generation in terms of what it offers for graphic artists. Another neat option would be the Modbook Pro if you wanted touchscreen instead of the Retina display.

07 July 2012
actually, I have the 2011 17" MBP and it is almost the same performance-wise as the rMBP. Ivy Bridge wasn't a huge leap over Sandy Bridge.

07 July 2012
yeah ivy bridge hasn't impressed me at all. It's all about power savings and not really focused on performance

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by cgbeige: actually, I have the 2011 17" MBP and it is almost the same performance-wise as the rMBP. Ivy Bridge wasn't a huge leap over Sandy Bridge.

Yep, 12% maybe on the high end and probably ~8% is the most common performance gains. I used to try and upgrade my machines with every hardware cycle but after Nehalem I found it better to just wait it out a couple revisions and get a larger increase.

I'll echo your statement earlier about the screen though... every time I open my Macbook Air or use my 27" ACD it just pales in comparison to the rMBP display. The colour gamut alone for editing my photos just crushes every other display I have.

07 July 2012
Leaning towards the MBP

07 July 2012
wonder if mountain lion gives any boost to the performance/stability. anyone?

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by 705: wonder if mountain lion gives any boost to the performance/stability. anyone?

Same speed, never had any stability problems.

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by imashination: Same speed, never had any stability problems.

If you're talking about the laggyness in some applications that has been fixed like scrolling in Safari. But blurry text and such is up to third party software devs.

Thread Closed share thread