Macbook Pro Retina or Origin EON15-S !!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  06 June 2012
Question Macbook Pro Retina or Origin EON15-S or SAGER NP9150 !!!








Currently in a debate between these THREE laptops. I made a google spreadsheet with the information to help me decide. This computer is going to be my mobile and main workstation for all adobe programs, and 3D programs such as Maya, Cinema 4D and Soft.


Google Spreadsheet Macbook Pro Retina vs Origin EON15-S vs Sager NP9150





I will be connecting an external display at home to it also. Probably an LG IPS225T 22inch

Any input on the Monitor and the Computers will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Mattgfx : 07 July 2012 at 05:00 PM.
 
  06 June 2012
Personally I would go for the origin laptop.
I would probably also switch the nvidia card for the AMD but I guess that's up to personal preference.
 
  06 June 2012
I would go for the laptop that doesn't have screen ghosting and burn in after 20 min, so I'd choose anything but the apple laptop
 
  06 June 2012
Originally Posted by sentry66: I would go for the laptop that doesn't have screen ghosting and burn in after 20 min, so I'd choose anything but the apple laptop


Thats not every monitor. Only happens to some people
 
  06 June 2012
considering Apple replaced the motherboard in my old MBP with the notorious Nvidia 8600M three times and then gave me a new machine without the problem once Nvidia fixed the issue, it's safe to say they'll replace these with unaffected units.
 
  07 July 2012
Originally Posted by cgbeige: considering Apple replaced the motherboard in my old MBP with the notorious Nvidia 8600M three times and then gave me a new machine without the problem once Nvidia fixed the issue, it's safe to say they'll replace these with unaffected units.


Yeah, keep the input coming!
 
  07 July 2012
Does it need to be portable or is it docked most of the time? Are you doing colour sensitive work? I don't see the Origin list the colour gamut of their LED but for photo work the RMBP is astounding with 98% gamut. If you're after raw power and it's going to stay parked on a desk then the Origin seems like it would fit the bill for you but if portability and not lighting your lap on fire is what you're after I'd say check out the RMBP.

It may take some getting used to as well but once you've used a DCC or VS/XCode at 2880x1800 it's hard to go back to smaller res screens

-s
__________________
My opinions do not represent those of my employer.
 
  07 July 2012
Originally Posted by BoostAbuse: Does it need to be portable or is it docked most of the time? Are you doing colour sensitive work? I don't see the Origin list the colour gamut of their LED but for photo work the RMBP is astounding with 98% gamut. If you're after raw power and it's going to stay parked on a desk then the Origin seems like it would fit the bill for you but if portability and not lighting your lap on fire is what you're after I'd say check out the RMBP.

It may take some getting used to as well but once you've used a DCC or VS/XCode at 2880x1800 it's hard to go back to smaller res screens

-s


Thats what im thinking too. And with an external display it would be pretty ideal. What do you think of the LG i have linked above?
 
  07 July 2012
Before plunging on the Retina macbook, go read a bit on macrumors forum. Everybody seams to have trouble with the rMBP, especially graphic designers.
__________________
So long and thanks for all the fish
 
  07 July 2012
Originally Posted by earwax69: Before plunging on the Retina macbook, go read a bit on macrumors forum. Everybody seams to have trouble with the rMBP, especially graphic designers.

yeah i have been. I think i am going to wait a month or two so most of the issues have been resolved, if they're not then i may go with a pc.
 
  07 July 2012
Originally Posted by Mattgfx: Thats what im thinking too. And with an external display it would be pretty ideal. What do you think of the LG i have linked above?


Never seen that LG monitor in person but a lot of photo friends use this Dell display: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...aynote_irrank=0 which is also an IPS display.

As for folks having problems with the Retina if you're using it in Retina mode then yeah you get pixel doubling outside Apple applications right now. It seems more apps are starting to move towards supporting it so it shouldn't take too long but the more complex the application the harder it will likely be to get full support (i.e. DCC apps). You can bypass that using the 2880x1800 desktop if you have eagle eyes or scale to 1920x1200 but you'll take a small performance hit using 1920x1200 as it's rendering double that res and downscaling.
__________________
My opinions do not represent those of my employer.
 
  07 July 2012
my work peers are still having issues with brightness.
__________________
CK Pinson
 
  07 July 2012
Originally Posted by BoostAbuse: Never seen that LG monitor in person but a lot of photo friends use this Dell display: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...aynote_irrank=0 which is also an IPS display.

As for folks having problems with the Retina if you're using it in Retina mode then yeah you get pixel doubling outside Apple applications right now. It seems more apps are starting to move towards supporting it so it shouldn't take too long but the more complex the application the harder it will likely be to get full support (i.e. DCC apps). You can bypass that using the 2880x1800 desktop if you have eagle eyes or scale to 1920x1200 but you'll take a small performance hit using 1920x1200 as it's rendering double that res and downscaling.


interesting, thanks for the information. I will probably run it in its native res.
 
  07 July 2012
Still cant make up my mind. I think im going to wait until end of August to see if the RMBP problems sort of a bit. The PC's are very tempting though mainly because of the GFX cards.
 
  07 July 2012
Bare in mind with the Macbook that you are getting only 1440x900 or something along those lines, unless you decrease of everything on screen, at which point you cannot see anything.

Personally the Sager machine, with a custom specification looks like the best deal. You can get a very solid set-up for about $2,200.

Here is the specifications

15.6" Full HD LED (Matte finish)
Guaranteed no dead pixels
AMD HD 7970 2GB
Intel I7 3610
Windows 7 (Pro)
32GB DDR3 RAM
750GB 7,200rpm SATA + 8GB SSD

All for $2,199 - A great laptop for that price!
__________________
I dabble...
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.