CKPinson
Expert

portfolio
CK Pinson
Network ADMIN
Govt
West Palm Beach, USA

Send a message via MSN to CKPinson
Curious, why would Dell have MAC positions? Is it simply because they sell MAC online or something and tech support for it? I work with the Dell Tech in my facility and he put in for it but didn't have much to tell me about it's purpose other than the obvious below...
010309:FCD: Apple/Mac Systems Engineer Advisor (010309) Open Date5/15/2012 US Citizenship RequiredNo Clearance RequiredYes-Ability to Obtain As a member of the Software Distribution Team (SDT) working at a Dell client site, this position is responsible for developing and deploying technology in support of the Apple/Mac and OS-X environment. Apple/Mac desktop engineering includes a wide r...

Old 06-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #32
BoostAbuse
slerping quaternions

Shawn McClelland
UX Team Lead
Unity
Denmark

Sounds like enterprise software solutions to me. I imagine Dell probably provides a number of software solutions for large scale enterprise servers which may have OSX/iOS devices in the mix.

Received my RMBP yesterday and spent yesterday and today getting it setup with software and everything. The display is quite astounding though I made some attempts at using it at 1920x1200 and found the scaled text to be a bit bothersome so I went all in and have been using it for the past 24 hours at 2880x1800. I'm actually perplexed at what to do with all the screen real estate I now have in Maya

Performance wise things seem to be quite nice - threw a couple fluid tests at it, some characters and animation and it's certainly much faster than my old 2010 17". What also amazed me was the fans are a lot quieter than previous generations and the heat dissipation doesn't feel like it's going to burn your fingers off when pressing F1-F4 or when sitting on your lap.

My only gripe is I wish it had a third USB port. By the time I've got my mouse and Cintiq hooked up to this I'm out of USB ports so I wind up juggling my external drive and Cintiq constantly. I guess it would be a moot point if I could find a nice 2.5" external thunderbolt drive or something.

-s

Old 06-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #33
tuna
|||||||||||||||||||||||||

Thomas Cannell
String puller
Venice, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostAbuse
Sounds like enterprise software solutions to me. I imagine Dell probably provides a number of software solutions for large scale enterprise servers which may have OSX/iOS devices in the mix.

Received my RMBP yesterday and spent yesterday and today getting it setup with software and everything. The display is quite astounding though I made some attempts at using it at 1920x1200 and found the scaled text to be a bit bothersome so I went all in and have been using it for the past 24 hours at 2880x1800. I'm actually perplexed at what to do with all the screen real estate I now have in Maya

Performance wise things seem to be quite nice - threw a couple fluid tests at it, some characters and animation and it's certainly much faster than my old 2010 17". What also amazed me was the fans are a lot quieter than previous generations and the heat dissipation doesn't feel like it's going to burn your fingers off when pressing F1-F4 or when sitting on your lap.

My only gripe is I wish it had a third USB port. By the time I've got my mouse and Cintiq hooked up to this I'm out of USB ports so I wind up juggling my external drive and Cintiq constantly. I guess it would be a moot point if I could find a nice 2.5" external thunderbolt drive or something.

-s

A few companies like Belkin offer Thunderbolt docks that give you more USB/firewire/thunderbolt/ethernet/audio ports, which might be the best solution for this although it's pretty expensive, here: http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/05...rice-to-399-99/

Are you going to stick with the 2880x1800 res? I'm now used to the full 2880x1800 mode and am definitely going to stick to it until there are a comprehensive list of Retina supporting apps. The real estate is amazing But browsing the web is like browsing a thumbnailed version unless you zoom in and scale it up.

In Maya did you get the really bad viewport performance like I did? I noticed viewport 2.0 is a bit faster but the regular old viewport is horrendously slow for things even as simple as a cube right now. Probably some sort of driver issue, but I just want to make sure I'm not alone in this!

Old 06-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #34
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium

I dont buy HP or Dell laptops anymore.

Since recently i only buy Clevo laptops

Old 06-20-2012, 03:13 AM   #35
BoostAbuse
slerping quaternions

Shawn McClelland
UX Team Lead
Unity
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna
A few companies like Belkin offer Thunderbolt docks that give you more USB/firewire/thunderbolt/ethernet/audio ports, which might be the best solution for this although it's pretty expensive, here: http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/05...rice-to-399-99/

Are you going to stick with the 2880x1800 res? I'm now used to the full 2880x1800 mode and am definitely going to stick to it until there are a comprehensive list of Retina supporting apps. The real estate is amazing But browsing the web is like browsing a thumbnailed version unless you zoom in and scale it up.

In Maya did you get the really bad viewport performance like I did? I noticed viewport 2.0 is a bit faster but the regular old viewport is horrendously slow for things even as simple as a cube right now. Probably some sort of driver issue, but I just want to make sure I'm not alone in this!

Yeah I'm going to have to order one of those Belkin docks and I'm considering grabbing a Lacie Little Big Disk to free up a USB slot as well.

Yeah I'm definitely sticking with it... the fact I can have Maya, Xcode, Sublime Text and QT Designer all open at once without feeling like the screen is really cramped is just too good to pass up. I noticed the same thing with web pages that there's tons of dead space on pages so you have to zoom in to fill the white space in a bit.

Actually I didn't notice any slowdowns in the Maya viewport and I purposely loaded up assets like our heavy Space Madness game data as well as a bunch of the DOTA 2 Workshop files. Tumble speeds are nice and fast and I can move skeletons and rigs around quite nicely and I've got the Automatic Graphics Switching set to enabled on mine. This was all in 2013 x64. When you moved the cube what was your FPS like? Was it chugging and hiccuping? Moving a sphere around in the default viewport gives me 28fps or so.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:11 AM   #36
tuna

Thomas Cannell
String puller
Venice, USA

Right now if I move a cube around in circles Maya tells me it's getting between 38 and 40fps. After a while though it can dip down to 28ish. But no matter what the fps counter is saying, it physically looks a lot lower fps.

I've tested it animated moving left and right across the screen, slowly and fast, and I've also just moved it around in circles etc. Compared to other applications, it is stuttering a LOT more which makes me think its some sort of issue. I have tested it side by side against Modo/C4d/Houdini and they're all considerably smoother right now.

What's also strange is that it is sometimes a fair bit faster than other times. For instance switching between 20fps and 38fps while manipulating the same character (BeeBoy). If I grab his hips and wiggle them, it will be 38fps, then as I continue to wiggle (:scream the fps will gradually drop to 20fps until suddenly returning to 38fps again. Perhaps some sort of driver issue?

Old 06-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #37
BoostAbuse
slerping quaternions

Shawn McClelland
UX Team Lead
Unity
Denmark

It's possible though I wonder if it's graphics switching related. If you take the graphics switching off does it maintain a more constant framerate? It's a ton of pixels the graphics card has to draw so I can see instances where if you've got a lot of heavy scene data it could take a bit of a lag hit - I've noticed on heavy image pages like Flickr sometimes the 2880x1800 gets a little slower when scrolling and stuff in this regard.

Pretty much all 3D apps are quite responsive and perform well on the laptop which is a nice change as previously I'd run out of VRAM fast with just 512mb

-s

Old 06-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #38
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
Oakland, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostAbuse

Actually I didn't notice any slowdowns in the Maya viewport and I purposely loaded up assets like our heavy Space Madness game data as well as a bunch of the DOTA 2 Workshop files. Tumble speeds are nice and fast and I can move skeletons and rigs around quite nicely and I've got the Automatic Graphics Switching set to enabled on mine. This was all in 2013 x64. When you moved the cube what was your FPS like? Was it chugging and hiccuping? Moving a sphere around in the default viewport gives me 28fps or so.

Can you post a Maya screenshot? Is it pixel doubled?

I had to jack up the font size on my 17" MBP at 1920x1200 in Maya with MayaStrings hacks.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #39
BoostAbuse
slerping quaternions

Shawn McClelland
UX Team Lead
Unity
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeige
Can you post a Maya screenshot? Is it pixel doubled?

I had to jack up the font size on my 17" MBP at 1920x1200 in Maya with MayaStrings hacks.

At 2880x1800 it's rendering native res and there is no pixel doubling however at standard resolution in retina mode the text items are being pixel doubled as well as other elements. You want 2880x1800 or 1440x900 retina screenshot?

Old 06-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #40
mvscg
portfolio
Michael
Los Angeles, USA

Could you please post both a 1440x900 and a 2880x1800 screenshot?
I'm hearing mixed reports about how third party apps look with the new MBP retina display. I'm concerned Maya will be awkward to work with until Autodesk releases a version that's designed for the display. In your experience, is it comfortable to work with?
Also, if anyone has used Nuke on the new MBP Retina, I'm wondering if there are any issues there.

Thanks.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:26 AM   #41
CKPinson
Expert

portfolio
CK Pinson
Network ADMIN
Govt
West Palm Beach, USA

Yeah- 2 coworkers got the retina-books and it's definitely a WIP for Apple- tweaks need to be done. I am holding off on that ship= just deciding now which laptop I want and whether or not to go Intuos or Cintiq- thought I had it down to Intuos but not sure anymore.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #42
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKPinson
Yeah- 2 coworkers got the retina-books and it's definitely a WIP for Apple- tweaks need to be done. I am holding off on that ship

Could you possibly elaborate in what way? I have one on order right now.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #43
CKPinson
Expert

portfolio
CK Pinson
Network ADMIN
Govt
West Palm Beach, USA

Not to diminish your excitement because I too am so back-n-forth on getting one- I haven't had Mac money until this year and was ready to take the plunge but experience at work with my peers machines meh- we work in a dungeon and that being said should make any screen look great- the crisp details were very welcome-

although not all apps take advantage of this yet- Namely Maya etc. hopefully there's an adjustment or update pending (didn't screw with the settings on their machines, not my place to)-

performance wise it seemed on par with other mac pros- although I mostly used the machine for Remedy, logging, videos, surfing and a quick paint. My other coworker ran home at lunch and brought his back, had Maya on it, that's when I got to try Maya out- wasn't noticeably better looking- just seemed like more real estate compared to 1080p crap but Renders looked very nice though- better than the retina ipad even close to Thunderbolt display=

EXCEPT, and to me personally a major EXCEPT- my main gripe that the screen seemed so dim- going back to my statement about my office being in the dungeon, maybe there's a setting to brighten it up???? everyone in the office gathered around (aged mostly mid 40s-late 50s and me and few others mid 30s) and everyone said the samething= close to the end of the day we had a freaking line of 3 macbook pro retina, traditional mac pro (seemed brighter), Dell workstation laptop with ips HD screen (can see now why working in 16:10 is preferred over 16:9) and some other wannabees like my HP LMAO.

the dell actually looked very good- although it was 1080p, think it was the m4600 doubt it was 17 inches... and it costs like 4k??? unless my peer was exaggerating.

I'll fill you in if they find the settings but I won't be back in the office for 2 weeks- WOOP WOOP lol= I may take a tour at the local apple store LOL and do some comparative shopping- to bad I couldn't borrow that Dell and take it in there with me...

Also- really would like to use PS some more- didn't have my Wacom with me. :(

Old 06-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #44
tuna

Thomas Cannell
String puller
Venice, USA

Yes, you can change the brightness of the screen. However you are correct that the screen is less bright compared to previous MBP screens: 339 cd/m2 vs. 401

However the screen has a 99% sRGB color gamut compared to 71% of the previous MBP: http://cdtobie.wordpress.com/2012/0...ay-macbook-pro/

Unless you plan on using it for watching dark movies outside on a sunny day at the park it is bright enough.

There is nothing "WIP" about this laptop besides software at this moment and that'll change soon.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #45
BoostAbuse
slerping quaternions

Shawn McClelland
UX Team Lead
Unity
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvscg
Could you please post both a 1440x900 and a 2880x1800 screenshot?
I'm hearing mixed reports about how third party apps look with the new MBP retina display. I'm concerned Maya will be awkward to work with until Autodesk releases a version that's designed for the display. In your experience, is it comfortable to work with?
Also, if anyone has used Nuke on the new MBP Retina, I'm wondering if there are any issues there.

Thanks.

Sure thing.

1440 Retina below. Maya gets pixel doubled as you can see and it's like this for most 3rd party apps but since the WWDC Retina Display session has been posted online there's lots of apps pushing for support it seems.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7268/...334b66dc9_o.png

2880 Native on this one. Crisp as heck and more screen real estate than I even need for just Maya which lets me run my entire development environment surrounding a 1920x1200 sized Maya (I use BetterSnapTool for aligning all my windows in OSX).

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7266/...bfa56aa8b_o.png

For me personally 2880x1800 is just fine. I work at 2560x1440 at home and tend to shrink the DPI down as I don't like giant text or big huge icons and I did the same on my 17" laptop before. This may not be the case for everyone though, my girlfriend can barely make out webpages and in testing with her I had to go into BootCamp and set the DPI scaling to 126% for her to be able to see/use the 2880x1800 resolution.

CKPinson - by tweaks I am assuming you mean app support? All of Apple's applications are updated for Retina now and a bunch of my MAS apps also got an update for Retina support. Third party stuff may take a bit longer but I don't think it will be the "years" people are touting given that Adobe is leaping at it right away. 3D Apps I'm not sure how long it will take as it's not as easy as just porting icons and a text engine.

Thread Closed share thread